What Would Cause All Gains To Be Set To Zero?

Reaction score
I was having trouble controlling the Phantom 3A while doing video of a bike race over the weekend so later decided to calibrate the RC to see if that was the culprit. During the process I discovered that all the gains were set to zero.
I concluded that the lack of gain must have been the reason for lack of control and a resulting crash that damaged the camera which I replaced prior to the race coverage.
So, I reset all the gains to 100 (80 on yaw) but noticed that they would revert to zero after exiting and reentering that area of the settings.
Next step was deleting the DJI GO app and reloading. Then noticed that the gains were set to 100 except the yaw which was at 80 and I was able to exit and re-enter the menu without losing any settings.
I have the CSV file of the flight where the craft hit a tree , crashed and damaged the camera in spite of using full forward pitch to avoid. I can post the CSV file if anyone is interested in deciphering it. Also wondering if anyone has run into this issue of gains mysteriously setting themselves to zero.
Incidentally, I was running Litchi at the time of the crash.

Maybe should explain that the GO app apparently set all the control gains to zero and didn't allow me to set them correctly until after deleting and reloading GO.
My question is whether having all the gains set to zero would make the craft much more difficult to control in the wind? No wind here so can't test.
The Phantom 3A would sometimes drift as much as 50 to 100 ft and very quickly before it could recover and hover.
Seems like GPS should bring it back to the position prior to the drift but perhaps the drift was too extreme?
Thanks for any help.

...hmmm, DJI weirdness rears its ugly head yet again! - the gain settings should only be able to be set between 80-100% - typically, it's only if the bird is NOT yet hooked up to the go app will you see zeroed out settings - drifting 50-100 feet is pretty troublesome...did you check your brake settings? - sometimes I will turn braking all the way down for smoother movement, but if I forget next time...look out! I almost flew right into a tree a few weeks ago when I thought it would stop normally, but no, with hardly any brakes, it just keeps zipping right along...had to yank the stick back hard for a narrow miss! - but if you are hovering at a stand-still and it just starts to drift off 100'...it may be time for a trip to the nearest DJI service center or reasonable facsimile for a little look-see by the professionals to see what's what? (...don't forget: these things aren't exactly tanks, anytime you have a crash, or even a small drop onto the table as you do a maintenance check...you may have some subtle damage that is not immediately apparent) - I know msinger on the forum here is a god among men when deciphering crash statistics from the deep files...you might ask him to take a look at your CSV numbers?

Thanks for you insight, Zander. I think my "problem" with the DJI GO app is a result of looking at gain settings while not connected to the phantom. I see the zeros on gain settings when not connected but then the settings respond correctly when connected. My bad.
You mention "braking" and I'm wondering if that is available on the Phantom 3A as I'm not seeing it in the settings. Did that feature become available with the P4 series?
I agree with you statement about the bird needing a checkup.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj