What would be a dirt simple solution to downconvert 4K to 1080?

Reaction score
I have a rather slow Internet connetion at the moment (waiting for 70/70 fibre), and a 4K video upload to YouTube takes around 8 hours per five minutes! I use Avidemux to cut and paste the videos to remove the bits I don't want to use (nothing more I want to do, really - I don't have time to sit and fiddle with the video for hours on end...) since that can do this lossless, but when I try to downconvert to 1080 and make a file around 1/3 the size of the original, it looses too much detail and sharpness. This I see easily on a 1080 monitor, so either it's not a good software for this, or I'm doing something wrong. Does anybody know of an easy to use (and cheap, if possible - I have already used far too much money on this, and I'm afraid it will be more...) software to do a good conversion? I am not using any sharpness or other enhancements when converting, only converting to x264 in an mp4 container and resizing to 1080. Then I use Video Size as the target, around 1 gig, and run a two pass conversion. And loose too much detail and sharpness. So I would welcome suggestions! :D

I know that VLC has a convert option, don't know if it good or not but it's free.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I know that VLC has a convert option, don't know if it good or not but it's free.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks! I'm trying one thing at a time. Here's the Avidemux down conversion, which I'm not at all impressed with, both colors and details are off.

Downconversion compare.jpg

Thanks. I'll test it! Free is as cheap as it goes, yes. :) Any idea what settings I should use?

Handbrake is an excellent compresser. Start with the High preset and adjust from there.
Experiment on small file with the bit rate. Use 2 PASS for quality.
When you have settings you like save them as a preset.
To change from 4k to 1080 you will have specify size. Otherwise handbrake uses original size. That might be okay. Depends on Bit Rate. Like I said. Play aound with small file and see what you end up with for quality and size.

Reactions: BigAl07
I have read about that and the Sony software, and I agree, it seems like overkill. I have done work with Premiere before, but that is North Korea overkill. Shooting higher military officials with air defence rockets overkill! :D I finally settled for not resizing in Handbrake, but changing the bitrate to 10 000 (from around 60 000). This got me down to around 1/6 of the file size. So two hours of uploading when I would have used 12. Not bad. Thanks for the tip!
Handbrake downconversion compare.jpg

I haven't heard of Handbrake but I've always used 'any video converter' to compress my videos. For example, if I was recording my PC using FRAPs, it generally generates huge GB's worth of recordings that are only a few minutes long. I throw it into any video converter under x264 and usually drop the bitrate to 10k or lower with the resolution being its original size. Instead of a 3GB file I under up with 400mb, for example.
AJDal4z.png

Curious to hear if anyone has used both handbrake and video converter though. I wouldn't know which one works best... but this is what I've always used.

Last edited:
I have a rather slow Internet connetion at the moment (waiting for 70/70 fibre), and a 4K video upload to YouTube takes around 8 hours per five minutes! I use Avidemux to cut and paste the videos to remove the bits I don't want to use (nothing more I want to do, really - I don't have time to sit and fiddle with the video for hours on end...) since that can do this lossless, but when I try to downconvert to 1080 and make a file around 1/3 the size of the original, it looses too much detail and sharpness. This I see easily on a 1080 monitor, so either it's not a good software for this, or I'm doing something wrong. Does anybody know of an easy to use (and cheap, if possible - I have already used far too much money on this, and I'm afraid it will be more...) software to do a good conversion? I am not using any sharpness or other enhancements when converting, only converting to x264 in an mp4 container and resizing to 1080. Then I use Video Size as the target, around 1 gig, and run a two pass conversion. And loose too much detail and sharpness. So I would welcome suggestions! :D

GOPRO Studio is Free and lets you convert your video down or up and change the frame rate.

GOPROSTUDIO.jpg

Reactions: MrDroneUK
MrDroneUK, my guess would be that they are using similar. If you want to test it against Handbrake, I can send you the around 10 second long test video I used in the pictures, and you can try to convert it. I'll Sprend it to you (you get a link to download it).

CaptainDrone798, yes, I know, thanks! This morning I have decided to test that one too, as well as the Sony program I downloaded. Maybe one of them can make a better looking video wit the same size file.

What kind of computer do you have? If you have a PC, go to stacksocial.com and the freebie tab at the top and get the video converter program from Wondershare,

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Last edited:
Wow, talk about jumping through hoops... I not only had to create a new spam catching address (it didn't accept my mailinator address) but a Twitter account (of course with an obscene name, so Twitter will kill it as soon as they see it - gotta make those guys work a bit for all the money they are loosing) too. Well, if it's good it was worth it.

Edit: But I will install this in a VM first, to see if it brings any adware along. The business model seemed a bit questionable...

Premiere pro. Get a free copy for 30 days then just crack it. )) I have not seen any decent cheap decoder

What about forget about recording in 4K in the first place and use 1080p mode?
You can bypass all those painstaking conversion process :D

I use Filmora by Wondershare, I paid £20 for it but it is superb.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik