What Will Happen?

SteveMann said:
I see, you were NEVER a nooB.
Oh, we all were. But there is a difference in the one that read the manual and watched videos compared to the one that opened the box, charged the battery, and tried to make it fly. Two different "noobs."

MadMitch88 said:
I think it's about time to start abandoning DJI in droves --- they really committed suicide with this Inspire One debacle --- they got all the arrogance of Apple but make crap products!

Sadly I have to agree. I've worked w/DJI on solving some of their prior issues from the launch of Phantom I and they "appear" to have an arrogance or ignorance re: customer support. You have to literally dig through their website to find the downloads and specs for a Phantom I. Soon to be the case for Phantom II owners. It seems when DJI moves to a new product support dries up on older gear. When was NAZA V2 updated last? Or any new updates for F450 or F550. Their larger platforms get the same treatment. As I mentioned I have to agree with you and am weeding out my DJI gear and replacing it with Align UAVS (just bought both 480 & 690) and am waiting on the GoPro gimbal release in Jan.

What will happen? The idiots will not bother with a license- so that's out.

Legislation- who's going to pay for/enforce this? So that's out.

The decline in R/C standards have been caused by 'fly out of the box' technology and lower cost.

So- in my view there is only one solution- a massive hike in tax on 'fly from the box'. Sorted.

EMCSQUAR said:
Sadly I have to agree. I've worked w/DJI on solving some of their prior issues from the launch of Phantom I and they "appear" to have an arrogance or ignorance re: customer support. You have to literally dig through their website to find the downloads and specs for a Phantom I. Soon to be the case for Phantom II owners. It seems when DJI moves to a new product support dries up on older gear. When was NAZA V2 updated last? Or any new updates for F450 or F550. Their larger platforms get the same treatment. As I mentioned I have to agree with you and am weeding out my DJI gear and replacing it with Align UAVS (just bought both 480 & 690) and am waiting on the GoPro gimbal release in Jan.

Interesting..... It seems that the arrogance is definitely a DJI thing and not a 'cultural' thing. There are other Chinese companies that I have dealt with whos customer service and levels of communication are great (FOXTECHFPV.COM) to name but one.

Clearly DJI make a conscious decision to leave their existing customers out in the cold and treat them like c*ap. It would appear Frank Wang only gives a **** about lining his own pockets.

It wouldnt take much more effort in the software side of things to limit the altitude and range to respect what the laws say in each market country. That coupled with a no fly database of airports that was accurate would remove 99% of the possiblility of collisions with full size a/c. In the UK your not allowed to fly over towns & streets or after dark. That would be a bit harder to regulate.

w824gb3 said:
In the UK your not allowed to fly over towns & streets or after dark. That would be a bit harder to regulate.
Still getting upto speed on this, but if you have a camera fitted, I understood that CAA ANO article 167 (2a) states

"The person in charge of a small unmanned surveillance aircraft must not fly the aircraft ...over or within 150 metres of any congested area"

I.e. you cannot fly over cities/towns/villages at any time of day, unless you have applied for specific permission from the CAA.

Is this CAA article superseded somewhere, or have I misunderstood something ?

Yes that is what i was trying to say - no flying over congested areas (at any time) & no flying in the dark (anywhere).

w824gb3 said:
Yes that is what i was trying to say - no flying over congested areas (at any time) & no flying in the dark (anywhere).
Sorry, I misread your post. :oops:

EMCSQUAR said:

Many companies aspire to have the arrogance of Apple --- but can't cash the checks their egos are writing. DJI is just such a company.

DJI's flippant attitude towards customer support and satisfaction will be their ultimate demise. The drone industry got plenty of room for competition, and it looks like DJI is about to become the next Wang Labs or DEC of this industry --- ie, driven into extinction and only remembered as a footnote.

I will be glad when that day (soon) arrives. :p

Happyflyer said:
SteveMann said:
I see, you were NEVER a nooB.
Oh, we all were. But there is a difference in the one that read the manual and watched videos compared to the one that opened the box, charged the battery, and tried to make it fly. Two different "noobs."

+10

You pretty much nailed it. A "noob" is an attitude problem --- won't take the time to learn a new technology thoroughly. A noob just wants to press "play" and expect everything to work out great. That is how I define a "noob".

The urban dictionary differentiates 'noob' from 'newb' (if your interested). ;)

Being able to fly it right out the box is leading to a lot of the issues. My first rc aircraft took months of hard graft & skill to build from sticks & planks of balsa. The building process also educated me as to how it all worked. Then i had to join a club to learn how to fly it safely & pass club exams before i was allowed to fly it alone or display it at other flying sites where the public may be present.

w824gb3 said:
Being able to fly it right out the box is leading to a lot of the issues. My first rc aircraft took months of hard graft & skill to build from sticks & planks of balsa. The building process also educated me as to how it all worked. Then i had to join a club to learn how to fly it safely & pass club exams before i was allowed to fly it alone or display it at other flying sites where the public may be present.

Yup.

The flight controller and auto-hover in-place has made it so.

Despite the well assembled technologies there is still a need for some understanding of flight (control), radio (RF), GPS, LiPo, etc. This is where a lot of folks come up short.

w824gb3 said:

Oh yes!!... It also gives you an appreciation of the blood sweat and tears that went into the model and it makes you a lot more careful with what you do with it !

I still fly collective pitch heli's for fun but any new addition that I purchase in Bind and Fly format gets the the same treatment as all my heli's........ I take the brand new heli out the box.... resist the urge to stuff a lipo in it and fly it... and then...... Strip the entire heli down to it's component parts. That means all linkages, gears, swash, bearings, washers, shims... The works, right down to the bare frame.
(Yes I know I'm **** :roll: )

I then re-assemble the aircraft knowing exactly what goes where and why. A large percentage of R/C RTF aircraft are set up incorrectly from the factory in my experience (misaligned swash plates are a favourite !). Going through the above procedure gives you a thorough perspective on your investment.

Anyway - I'll stop rambling now.... we won't stop the 'Rip open the box and get it in the air brigade'. In fact, the technology will become cheaper still which means it is even more accessible to the sort of individuals we really don't want them to be :evil:

I've just realised what a 'Soothsayer of doom I am' !!! :lol: :lol:

I know these guys are trying to get the word out on safety after all the Christmas quads are opened.

http://roswellflighttestcrew.typepad.co ... eholidays/

This holiday season, the number one gift under the tree is going to be a multirotor: large and small, for children young and old. This is a sure sign that our passion for this technology is going mainstream. In the long term, this is great news: the more people who have first-hand experience with these systems, the easier it becomes for us to argue for their safe, beneficial and non-intrusive use in society.

However, in the short term, it means that a quarter of a million novice pilots are about to take to the skies. Here at the Roswell Flight Test Crew, as enthusiasts and proponents for this technology, we feel that we owe it to them — and to ourselves, and to the future of this industry — to do everything we can to help them get started on the right foot.

Therefore, today we are launching “Drone for the Holidays," and we're hoping that you will join us to offer these new multirotor pilots in your own community a few hours of orientation and basic training.

The goal is a nationwide effort, set to occur on Saturday, January 3, 2015. Whether you're a local Academy of Model Aeronautics flying club or Drone User Group Network chapter, we hope that you'll join us to make this project a success.

MadMitch88 said:
Many companies aspire to have the arrogance of Apple --- but can't cash the checks their egos are writing. DJI is just such a company.

DJI's flippant attitude towards customer support and satisfaction will be their ultimate demise. The drone industry got plenty of room for competition, and it looks like DJI is about to become the next Wang Labs or DEC of this industry --- ie, driven into extinction and only remembered as a footnote.

Wow. Not sure I could live with that kind of anger.

Rather than see DJI go under, I'd like to see them step up their Customer Service game. I don't hope for the Wang Labs or DEC analogy. I'd rather see something more like BMW or Mercedes in late 80s US market. They built great products but had no clue about Customer Service until Toyota, Nissan, and Honda went upscale and introduced their premium brands.

Now superior customer service is the norm at the German brands, thanks to Lexus, Infiniti, et al. Wouldn't that be a better outcome for the drone hobby, rather than losing one of the quadcopter pioneers?

SteveMann said:
tstowe said:
Then why do I keep hearing ... almost daily ... about some bozo flying a drone beside/over/way too **** close to an airport runway?
Because there are tens of thousands of these things being flown by hobbyists and there are certain to be some who just don't know or care about common sense. After next week there will be double that amount. The second reason is that airline pilots tend to lack common sense either. Almost ALL of the "drone sightings" are unverified. It's as if the pilots say "what was that?", "I dunno, lets call it a drone".
You hear about them because the "news" is sensational and meant to scare people.
So, with tens of thousands flying, where is the blood, let alone a crash?

Here ya go:
http://wtvr.com/2013/08/24/watch-drone- ... -bull-run/

No blood that I could see in the video.
But a pretty nasty crash. I remember reading another article on this crash wich stated the owner did pay the medical bills of the three people that were hit, but not sure what those injuries were.

Clipper707 said:
MadMitch88 said:

Wow. Not sure I could live with that kind of anger.

Rather than see DJI go under, I'd like to see them step up their Customer Service game. I don't hope for the Wang Labs or DEC analogy. I'd rather see something more like BMW or Mercedes in late 80s US market. They built great products but had no clue about Customer Service until Toyota, Nissan, and Honda went upscale and introduced their premium brands.

Now superior customer service is the norm at the German brands, thanks to Lexus, Infiniti, et al. Wouldn't that be a better outcome for the drone hobby, rather than losing one of the quadcopter pioneers?

+1 (Hello DJI are you listening???)

I do NOT want to be on any commercial flight from Dec. 26 to around Jan. 15 or so --- sodrones. many nimrods getting Phantoms for Xmas presents and flying high into the sky around airports!

Luckily, by late January 99% of those Phantoms will be crashed and lost in the thick underbrush or sleeping with the fishes, and the world will be safe again! :lol:

I think it's about time to start abandoning DJI in droves --- they really committed suicide with this Inspire One debacle --- they got all the arrogance of Apple but make crap products!
Just think. We can have an Easter Egg hunt for lost Quads. Our collections may balloon.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj