What will happen? (auto land/RTH) question

Reaction score
Ok so a friend and I were discussing what would happen say your some distance out and you run into some trouble like high wind, or something that causes you to land rather than come home, BUT you don't have LOS if the bird drops down to land.

So you find a good spot where it's at, and do the auto land feature, HOWEVER it's gonna lose signal while landing. Will the bird:

A) Continue landing after losing signal
or
B) Drop out of auto land mode and start a RTH

B sounds like a reasonable guess .... but it should be pretty easy to test.
Initiate autoland somewhere safe (more than 20 metres from home point) and switch off the controller to simulate lost signal.
See what happens.

B sounds like a reasonable guess .... but it should be pretty easy to test.
Initiate autoland somewhere safe (more than 20 metres from home point) and switch off the controller to simulate lost signal.
See what happens.

I'm hoping it's A, because that would be a good bail out option if you find yourself stuck from wind, etc.

I'm hoping it's A, because that would be a good bail out option if you find yourself stuck from wind, etc.
If you ever get in a problem situation with wind, it should be an educational experience and motivate you to avoid that situation in future.
When the wind is up, fly away upwind - not downwind.

Reactions: GodFear17
If you ever get in a problem situation with wind, it should be an educational experience and motivate you to avoid that situation in future.
When the wind is up, fly away upwind - not downwind.

And I completely agree with this, no I didn't get stuck with wind, the topic here isn't really the "situation" but rather emphases on how the Phantom 3 will respond.

Just want to make clear here the situation is completely hypothetical, Say I wanted to land at my friends house a block away, and I land in his drive way, and I will "for sure" lose signal, will it come out of the auto land feature and go into RTH? This was the "field discussion" we were having. Looks like I'm going to have to test it to see...

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20