What was the TFR in Chicago yesterday (7/13/16)?

Reaction score
Correction- it was a DJI NFZ- only showed up in the Go app after connecting to the P3

Yesterday morning I fired up the P3 in my yard just to do some testing.
DJI Go had a huge red NFZ covering the whole Chicago area.
Usually that only happens of the president is in or coming to town. I couldn't find evidence of him being here- yet.
Anyone have an idea what that was about??
Haven't connected the P3 yet today to see if it's still in effect.
It would be nice if we could tap on the NFZ on screen & get info on what the issue is.

I did also open Hover- which only showed that TFRs were about to go into effect for the next few days because of a baseball series at Cubs park will be happening. But that only expanded the zone around Wrigley Field to about 3mi circumference.
This NFZ in Go was WAY bigger. Up to Waukeegan in the North And almost to Joliet or Gary, In in the south

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Last edited:
Reactions: matter
That would do it. I'm sure you're right.
Don't understand why Hover, nor the lame B4UFly app showed anything about it at all.
That's a bit worrying.
Anyone have another app (Mac IOS) that shows updated TFRs ?

I get a warning when I go above 400 feet. Im not sure if it will let me go over since I know that is the law and I don't push it. Im in Chicago too BTW

Actually did fly for about a minute. but only straight up over my house. Maybe 85'. And I'm almost 11 miles north of downtown. Well inside the big red circle , but 10 miles from anything happening. 13 miles from OHARE.
I was just testing a battery for a bad cell.

Did. Nothing for Chicago showed. But not sure I did the filters right.

Not sure why you'd get a sudden NFZ for your area. Seems extremely odd since the DGI Go does NOT reflect TFR's for any area. Only NFZ's. In addition I checked that TFR.faa.gov for the entire Illinois state & found no TFR on that date. Try turning off the GEO Fencing in your GoApp & see if the NFZ is eliminated.

I thought it odd as well. Also didn't see any TFRs for Illinois. Also did let me take off. I know that the NFZ by Soljier Field and Wrigleynwont even let me start motors if too close. It was odd.

Trump was just west of Indy yesterday selecting our ******* governor to be his yes man vice president.

I flew in the city on the 13th. I was on a boat in the chicago river and was out by navy pier in the big open water area just inside the locke. Went up 200 ft above our boat to get a nice skyline shot and didn't get any warnings...

Also, landing back onto a pontoon boat that was driving was quite the nerve racking experience... Sort of like landing on a carrier...

I flew in the city on the 13th. I was on a boat in the chicago river and was out by navy pier in the big open water area just inside the locke. Went up 200 ft above our boat to get a nice skyline shot and didn't get any warnings...

Also, landing back onto a pontoon boat that was driving was quite the nerve racking experience... Sort of like landing on a carrier...
Post a jpg when you have it processed. Like to see what you got.

I still cannot fly due to this. Tested just now. What the heck?
28398903725_674ee32013_z_d.jpg

Last edited:
Well there is a cubs game series going on. But that should only be a 3 mi circumference around Wrigley Field. I think DJI has screwed up the NFZ again.
b7bbb616377349c32da82837aa2d533e.jpg

Hey DJI,

What the hell have you Done? There's been a 40 mile red NFZ around the city of Chicago for several days.
The FAA has no TFRs except for around our 2 sports stadiums- and those should only be 3 miles radius during games.
Look:
This is almost 40 miles wide:

ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots1468908160.806326.jpg

And this is from Hover:
ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots1468908197.290552.jpg

WTF is going on?
Please fix this immediately!!!

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 444
Last edited:
Yep. Just checked mine out again- 12:30am. There's an almost 40 mile NFZ over Chicago
ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots1468909120.303127.jpg

You need to contact DJI about this.
People here cannot fix problem.

This area is NOT on map.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-07-19 at 10.49.07.png
    Screen Shot 2016-07-19 at 10.49.07.png
    519.9 KB · Views: 315

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members