What type of tablet do you use?

Reaction score
I currently use my iPhone to fly with but, I'm wanting a tablet with a micro sd card slot so when I get finished with a mission I can pop the card in and view my flight in the field. If things are not what was expected, I can re-fly to get that exact look.Had too many times out in the field where it looks good while flying and when I get to a computer, it's just not what I had hoped for or expected. Anyone doing this and if so, what tablet works for you.

When it comes to tablets, get a tablet for your daily use, not necessarily just for your photos. It comes down to what you're going to use it for, and what control you want over the way the device functions. The advice I'm giving is from 20 years of being a computer tech, but you still should take it with a grain of salt based on your needs & budget. After all, like any other disclaimer - your mileage may vary. :)

iPad - simply put - the best at a price. However, you compromise individual customization for performance. Apple controls the entire product line, from the operating system to each component inside the tablet itself. Each app developer knows what the device can do as a result, & tailor their programs according. They can deliver great performance as a result. These don't have a microSD, but a simple adapter fixes this for about $10.

Android tablets - the Swiss Army knife. You have much more control over what you want the tablet to do, but you sacrifice performance in some aspects. Unlike Apple, many manufacturers make Android tablets, using many different components to do so. As a result, app developers must choose more of a "one size fits most" approach to their programming. Most will have a microSD as well.

Windows - the old guard. You can do just about anything you would do on a normal PC, but Windows tablets face the exact same issues that can plague Android tablets - many manufacturers with many different products and the operating system must try to make them all work. Most will come with a microSD as well. The bonus here is that you can connect to your Phantom using the DJI program for your model while out flying.

So, that being said - I use an iPad for photos, an Android S5 for my phone, and a HP Stream 7 for field connectivity. I chose these because I spend tons of time on my tablet, and want the best performance as a result. I want my phone to be free to install apps that Apple wouldn't necessarily allow. Lastly, the Stream 7 lets me change my Phantom settings on the fly away from home. That's just my approach.

However, if you're going to buy 1 device and call it a day - consider the iPad with an adapter if your budget allows. The adapter is a slight pain in the ***, but the performance of the iPad more than makes up for it.

Asus Transformer. Works fine for me. I made a holder out of a coat hanger in 2 minutes and it works perfect. Very solid and cheap way to mount a tablet if you don't want to shell out cash.

I hear the best option though is the iPad because it allows a few more features to Ground Station. If I had the cash I would go that route.

Samsung Galaxy Tab S. 8.4" screen. I tried out the iPad Mini w/Retina display but the Samsung is brighter and clearer with the super amoled screen. Highly recommend it

You might want to look at the thread below, about a "Compact PC". etc.

Is it important in any aspect to have GPS on the display unit.
I plan to do a full mod, step by step.
Right now I am purchasing my 2nd Vision P2V3 as my first one loved fishing so much it decided to go without me.
I'd love to keep my phone as my phone when I'm flying. I would like to use my 8" tablet wich only has wi-fi. No GPS in the field.

Thanks for all of the input guys. I will still fly with my iPhone as a FPV monitor, however, I decided to purchase the HP Stream 7 as SaintChaChi suggested. All I am wanting to do is view the sd card in the field for proper video shots and with the windows based HP Stream 7, I can change phantom settings in the field as well.

I really like my Samsung Tablet much better than my iPad mini even though the mini has the retina display. However I mostly use my Samsung Note for use with the Phantom. Nice size, bright display and fits right in the Phantom monitor holder without any adapter needed. I also have a Samsung Tab 7 (most recent version) that I use occasionally because it is brighter than the ipad and slightly smaller foot print but needs an adapter to fit in the Phantom monitor holder. I haven't been able to get my phone, Samsung S5 to work with the Vision software so I wouldn't recommend that one.

You can find Samsung Note Two's and Threes used for a nice price on Ebay and Craigs list. I picked mine up for $150 and it was mint condition and works great. Plus if I ever decide to use it as a phone I will just have to add a sim card and walla. As for the Samsung Tab 7, You can find them NEW for about that same price. iPad over priced and very limited what it can do.

I have an asus meno tablet I like it a lot and best part is its got no cell and is just wifi but still has real gps to.

Well if you dont mind not having all the features of the app you can get away with a tablet that dont have gps.

But with out gps you will not be able to use the ground station or the new dynamic home point thing of the find my phantom thing in the ap. But every thing else should still work fine if you dont need to or dont want to use any of that other stuff.

My Samsung Tab S must have GPS or whatever it needs since I have used Ground Station successfully. I wondered about Dynamic Home Point and have been meaning to test it.

Well I took the advice of SaintChachi and purchased a HP Stream 7. Arrived from HP today and i couldn't be happier with the performance! The only thing I really wanted in a tablet was to pop in my micro SD out in the field to make sure I had the shot before I got home and realized I just missed what I wanted. This device plays 4k video buttery smooth. Also as an added bonus, if I need to change any of my settings out in the field, I have a windows based platform to do that on the fly. Once again thanks SaintChachi for the recommendation. By the way, $79...

Txfirecop - you are very welcome. I am kinda am kicking myself for not setting up some kinda of commission system with HP or Microsoft based on how many have been sold here. :)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dragonslair