What to do with P3P with water damage...

Reaction score
I had an unusual mishap yesterday… I was set to power up and fly at a river's edge when the DJI GO app annunciated "Battery Error" in red. (This is a new DJI battery I bought as a spare and only used 3-4 times. It was fully charged to 100% that day). Seeing the warning, I didn't start the motors, put the controller down and went to check on the Phantom thinking I must've improperly inserted the battery. It seemed well seated and secure, so I decided to pull it out and re-insert it. During the motion of pulling out the battery (it stuck a bit) I slipped and the battery flew out of my hands and onto the short but steep and muddy river bank. You can guess what happened next, in the act of trying to retrieve the battery, I slipped in the mud, winding up on my butt, halfway in the water. In the process of falling, I managed to kick the battery into the river completely (now lost) and also drop the Phantom, which now out of reach, slid down the muddy river bank into about a foot of water for 30 seconds or so. The river while freshwater, is murky and full of plant debris.
The question is what to do now…
1. Since I fly mostly in a suburban to urban area, I don't want to risk the now questionable P3P having a mishap due to corrosion or other damage down the road. I ordered a new one to replace it.
2. What can I do with the damaged Phantom? I haven't put it in the bag with rice yet (probably tonight). It wasn't in the water very long and the battery wasn't inserted at the time. My gut feeling is the Phantom could be okay, however for flying in my general area, I don't want to try finding out and have it unexpectedly go haywire.

Is it worth trying to sell? I'd sell it whole, but I don't really want to sell parts individually. What is it worth? Or should I just trash it?

Do what you think is right
I would personally open it up and very carefully dry it off and leave it open, then test it indoors for maybe 5 flights. If it has no problems in those five flights, then I would say that it is safe to use. Probably not a good idea to use near people, though...

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik