What to buy?

Reaction score
I'm having a real hard time deciding between buying a Inspire 1 or a Phantom 4, just had a P4 but took it back since the price dropped and just returned it so I could think about the decision of whether I should buy a Inspire 1 or keep the P4.

What do you plan on doing with your quadcopter? What do you see as advantages of owning the Inspire 1 over the Phantom 4?

I want to get into aerial photography at one point, Inspire 1 has better camera/exchangable ones, longer distances, 360 degree camera.

The 360 degree camera is only practical if you're flying LOS and a second person is controlling the camera. Otherwise, you'll find it tough to attempt to rotate it and fly at the same time. It can be very disorienting. Furthermore, there aren't many scenarios where that rotation could not be reproduced by yawing the aircraft.

If you must have the Inspire 1 cameras, then it sounds like you answered your own question. The Phantom 4 camera is in a different class than most of the Inspire 1 cameras. Be prepared to shell out a hefty sum though. Many of those cameras aren't cheap.

Zenmuse Z3 = $899
Zenmuse X5 = $1,799
Zenmuse X5R = $3,599
Zenmuse XT = $6,900 to $12,075

Last edited:
Is there anyway to get a better range out of the P4 without shipping the controller off and voiding the warranty?

You can increase the range by installing an antenna like the ITELITE. You can install it yourself, but there's no getting around the terms of the warranty. DJI could decide not to honor their warranty if you install/use non OEM parts.

Is there anyway to get a better range out of the P4 without shipping the controller off and voiding the warranty?
Better?
In a good interference-free environment the Lightbridge P3 or P4 will already go further than the battery can bring it back.
I want to get into aerial photography at one point, Inspire 1 has better camera/exchangable ones, longer distances, 360 degree camera.
The P3 & P4 have the same camera as the standard Inspire camera (despite it looking different)
360 rotation might sound good but it's more a gimmick of little use to most people.
The biggest difference is the extra cost and big loss of portability with the inspire.
Yes, you can but the new and better camera .. but it's far from cheap and reduces the battery life even further.

Better have deep pockets... If you happen to loose an inspire. Remember what goes up must come down... Somewhere!

All valid points however, buy the Inspire 1. It's in a completely different class than the Phantom line. After flying it for a moment or two, you'll completely understand why you spent the extra few bucks. Definitely the most capable and amazing quad on the market.

All valid points however, buy the Inspire 1. It's in a completely different class than the Phantom line. After flying it for a moment or two, you'll completely understand why you spent the extra few bucks. Definitely the most capable and amazing quad on the market.
Careful with this one folks. The Inspire 1 has many drawbacks and it's certainly not a great fit for many people. Evaluate this decision carefully and make sure it's the right tool for the job.

Buy a used Inspire controller (GL658A), that will double your range and signal integrity. I've been really disappointed in the P4 RC, it's the weakest RF power lightbridge controller DJI has manufactured to date. I use an Inspire RC exclusively with my P4, but you still need the P4 RC to update firmware in the craft, the Inspire RC won't work for that.

Less flight time with the Inspire1.
Correct ! It's also too big to carry on an airplane, longer setup time, more expensive batteries, you can't backpack it very easily, it's more intimidating to the public and inappropriate for indoor shoots. However it's very cool for commercial work, the GO app does things others can't.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20