What size allen wrench is used to tighten the gimbal arm?

Reaction score
I have a basic set of allen wrenches...my smallest is too small and the next size up is too large. Are DJI screws made in metric?

I have a basic set of allen wrenches...my smallest is too small and the next size up is too large. Are DJI screws made in metric?
Yes, they are - and they're not all allen keys, but mainly torx Torx - Wikipedia.

According to this thread which I found using the search facility (magnifying glass, top right), it's most likely a T(orx) 6 but you can check with a further search yourself if you need more information/confirmation. Lower down though, someone else says it's a 1.5mm allen key, if that is the screw you mean.

Last edited:
The Flite Test allen wrenches work. I have a Flite Test 1.5 and it worked well. You can get one of these at Hobbytown USA or a hardware store

Reactions: RodPad
@Calab,
Welcome to the Forum!

You first post, helping someone out!
OMG!

Most first posts, I crashed, I can't start the motors, what is wrong with this piece of ****.

Rod

thumb-up-terminator pablo M R.jpg

Hi all!
All the screws on a Phantom are mostly torx style,, #6 torx through #8 torx. There are a few inside the body that are philips head style.
The first set of tool kits I bought at a regular store for around $12.00. THEY didn’t last long and did a fantastic job of stippling out the head of the screws.
Well being that I own a Autobody shop, I spent the money and bought a set of mini torx screwdrivers and a set of mini philips and flathead screwdrivers from Snap On tools. More spendy,around $60.00 per kit.BUT, NO MORE STRIPED OUT SCREW HEADS!!
I recommend spending the money for quality tools,especially if you plan on doing more repair work on drones.
Good day to all,
Leland

Reactions: RodPad
:cool: Have fun with doing maintenance on your drone! They are quite a remarkable piece of technology.
I personally find it comforting to work on them.
Keep those props spinning.

It's easy to tell even with small screw heads if they are hex or torx. Just use a loupe. A nice set of torx can be had for around $10-12 on ebay..I also found a Phantom toolkit on ebay for about the same. Use the RIGHT tool!

Last edited:
Alas...I removed the entire gimbal assembly, removed the torn ribbon cable and replaced it with a new ribbon cable...fairly easy, tricky but got it done and only lost one screw somewhere in the process...My torx wrench did fine. The only torx were the set screw on the gimbal arm where it connects to the main board and there are torx screws on the back of the camera body itself.

I fired up the unit and the gimbal motors turned on but the camera was left facing about 25 degrees off center and it was about 5 degrees facing down....no camera image...hmmm.

I decided to try again so I dismantled it again and reassembled it....it got worse.

Now the gimbal motors are going every which way...the camera is going up down/left right.....it looks like the camera is freaking out....I could try again but before I did I thought I'd check with you guys to see if this sounded familiar.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj