What should I do as a rookie operating drone?

Which one do you prefer

• Phantom 4 Pro

Votes: 4 100.0%
  • Mavic

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Reaction score
I purchased Dji phantom 4 Pro last week. I just saw some pictures from Dji website. Wow, amazing, and the price is not too high. I bought it on an impulse. However, when I opened the box and read the guide, lots of things to do....lots of things need to be learned.

I have to register it on FAA, so I have done it.
I was confused, as a hobbyist, do I need to pass that Part 107 test to get a certificate?
Cannot flow over a stadium on events, national parks, 400 feet+, within 5 miles near the airport. So many restrictions.

I downloaded the B4Fly app, it is very difficult for me to find a place to fly the drone....Not only airport for plane, but there are a lot of helicopter pad...Is it included as a airport??

What I should do or learn as a rookie before I can fly my drone in Knoxville, TN. Is it illegal fly it with 5 miles near airport without a driver certificate...

look up the local AMA clubs fields in your areas. may even run into other drone flyers who can help you. but their fields would be open to aircraft flight.
good faith effort to contact, if they don't publish a phone number.....

Reactions: Dji_P4P
As long as your just flying for fun you do not need a 107,that's for commercial use only.

As far as the helipads and such those are just warning areas,you can still fly just be on the lookout for other aircraft. If you are within a NFZ (no fly zone) the then the aircraft will not take off. Don't fly above 400ft,don't break line of sight,don't do anything stupid.

Reactions: Dji_P4P and FunN4lo
Fight temptation to switch out of beginner mode. Then slowly expand the envelope of your flights.

look up the local AMA clubs fields in your areas. may even run into other drone flyers who can help you. but their fields would be open to aircraft flight.
good faith effort to contact, if they don't publish a phone number.....

Thanks so much for your information. Oh, I just fly for fun, so I don't need a certificate? How about flying with 5 miles airport. I find my home is located near a medical center, helicopter pad. Who I should contact before flying?

read the manual.
you will have to go to DJI and down load it there.
did I say read the manual?
do this several times.

read the manual.
you will have to go to DJI and down load it there.
did I say read the manual?
do this several times.

I read some but it directed to the FAA website. So many information on FAA, and I was confused. Could you like to give me some main points?

I suggest that you learn to fly a simple inexpensive quad such a Husban. If you learn to fly figure 8's in a fairly small area and no higher than 30 feet, you will a much better understanding as to how these things fly. A big challenge is flying a remote aircraft as it approaches you. This is called 'orientation'. There are lots of automated ways that the P4 can fly but you can get very confused if things don't go exactly the way you think that hey should. Read the manual. Watch some Youtube and learn to fly. Big steps.

Do not fly indoors. I've seen way too many newbies crash this way. Also I recommend getting Dji care refresh. Fly as many battery packs on beginner mode in a wide interference free open space with no trees, be afraid very afraid of trees. Take it slow, have patience, common sense. Safe flying bud!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using PhantomPilots mobile app

I purchased Dji phantom 4 Pro last week. I just saw some pictures from Dji website. Wow, amazing, and the price is not too high. I bought it on an impulse. However, when I opened the box and read the guide, lots of things to do....lots of things need to be learned.

I have to register it on FAA, so I have done it.
I was confused, as a hobbyist, do I need to pass that Part 107 test to get a certificate?
Cannot flow over a stadium on events, national parks, 400 feet+, within 5 miles near the airport. So many restrictions.

I downloaded the B4Fly app, it is very difficult for me to find a place to fly the drone....Not only airport for plane, but there are a lot of helicopter pad...Is it included as a airport??

What I should do or learn as a rookie before I can fly my drone in Knoxville, TN. Is it illegal fly it with 5 miles near airport without a driver certificate...

Welcome to the world of DJI. Don't be intimidated by the "read the manual crowd" that also never post any advice or answers. There are those types in every crowd. Everyone has a first time. Keep asking

I would say the rest is pretty good advice. Read, read, read posts. When you see some thing you dont understand, or need more info on, ask.

For another tip to those above, find your self a large treeless field to start. Drones are trees favorite food :eek: .

Reactions: KingDad1985
...lots of things to do....lots of things need to be learned.
Welcome to the forum. This is a great place to do research on questions that have already been asked/answered, and to post new questions. Joining PhantomPilots, reading the manual and registering with the FAA show that you are already off to a great start. As others have said, start slow and stay in beginner mode while practicing in wide open areas. Once you understand how the bird responds to your inputs then you can start experimenting with other settings. Avoid Sport and Atti modes until you really know what you are doing. Practice, practice, practice. Avoid the temptation to try new settings after a single flight. You will have a blast as long as you remain in control. Fly safe and have fun.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31