What part of the system Go-app/controller/drone determines if updates are required?

• Thread starter Deleted member 120647
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 120647

At a guess the Go-app since, as far as I am aware, that is the only thing with direct access to the internet.
Qu 1) am I correct in assuming it is the Go-app?
If so
Qu 2) is it the only part of the system that can connect to the internet?
Qu 3) does the Go-app connect to the internet ONLY when the app is in use by me i.e when I have started it or it has been started by connection to a switched on controller? If relevant 'my' go-app is on an android device.

I have seen mention of flight data. being uploaded to "DJI servers" and get the impression that this need not necessarily in pursuance of a warranty claim etc. If correct this leads to
Qu 4) is this an automatic process done every time there is a connection to the internet? If so, asided from switiching off the wifi on the, Go-app device, how do I stop this happening?

1) am I correct in assuming it is the Go-app?
Yes

2) is it the only part of the system that can connect to the internet?

Yes

does the Go-app connect to the internet ONLY when the app is in use by me i.e when I have started it or it has been started by connection to a switched on controller? If relevant 'my' go-app is on an android device.
You do not need to be connected to the internet at any time except for updates and map access, although maps can be cached before flying and you can disable wi-fi afterwards.

4) is this an automatic process done every time there is a connection to the internet? If so, asided from switiching off the wifi on the, Go-app device, how do I stop this happening?
Cant answer that one. There is no need for data to be uploaded to DJI. I see no use for that, unless you manually do so.

Ta Fly Dawg, one question with regards to "maps", are you talking about the route-map/"mapbox" that appears on the Go-app?
I had assumed that much like a sat nav app on my phone the Go-app stored/downloaded a map of my entire region or country during installation. Do you mean that the "mapbox" maps for the flying zone are 'normally' downloaded as required ........ somewhat like a google maps route map where you can follow a predetermined route with the device offline but need to be online if you want to make adjustments to the journey?

Incidentally I normally switch off wifi and bluetooth on the viewer before flying etc. to reduce radio emissions near the controller though I am not certain if this is beneficial.

What about the location service on the viewer i.e. GPS?

Last edited by a moderator:
I had assumed that much like a sat nav app on my phone the Go-app stored/downloaded a map of my entire region or country during installation.
No, it is only cache memory, it is not actually "stored" in memory. You will only get real time maps, and yes that would be mapbox with GO, if you are connected to the internet, or if you pre-cache them before you fly.

Incidentally I normally switch off wifi and bluetooth on the viewer before flying etc. to reduce radio emissions near the controller though I am not certain if this is beneficial.
That is standard practice, although it is really not necessary.

What about the location service on the viewer i.e. GPS?
The device GPS is completely separate from wi-fi or cellular. You do not need either for the device GPS to function.

Ta, how do I precache maps?
Sorry I realise that GPS is seperate from wifi and bluetooth, what I meant was does the veiwing device emitt any EM signal when its location/GPS is on?

Where the viewing device is a phone, is enabling "plane mode" advisable?

It has just occurred to me that I use two phones as viewers and the better one has no simm card in i.e. it isn't acting as a phone (though it can still make emergence calls). The other one, which is a newer model which I would have thought means it is more suitable for use with the Go-app, has a simm card in and acts as a phone but performs less well with the Go-app. Rhetorically I am now wondering if its being an active phone is the reason for its lesser performance.

I meant was does the veiwing device emitt any EM signal when its location/GPS is on?
No. It is a receiver not a transmitter.

Where the viewing device is a phone, is enabling "plane mode" advisable?
Sure can. No problem.

Rhetorically I am now wondering if its being an active phone is the reason for its lesser performance.
An active phone makes no difference. Although you will be using data if you are flying with it unless you disable that. What device are you having issues with and what are the symptoms?

The phones are a Samsung Note 4 and a Samsung S5. The latter is the better.
The note 4 just in general seems more prone to the app not behaving well and freezing though its micro USB connector is beginning to go, it may have been clobbered in a recent drop. Whether or not the connector was causing problems before the drop I do not know but 'finding out will have to wait for me to get the guts up to try and replace the USB board.
I have also just got a Nexus Tablet on which I DO NOT want the app updated, there is no problem with the Nexus, I just want the features in the existing app preserved. So the wifi will most definitely be off on that.

The phones are a Samsung Note 4 and a Samsung S5. The latter is the better.
What I can tell you is this. I used to fly with an S5 and it became far too slow to handle the app. If you are flying a P3 it is iffy at best. All bets are off if it is a P4. You need to check the specs on these devices. Specifically for RAM. You need at an absolute minimum 2gig of RAM. The S5 will work, but as I said it is iffy.

So far the S5 is fine but I generally use a it with a USB 3 cable from either an external hard drive or a high speed card reader, whether that helps or not I do not know but it also works well with a std USB cable. I have not noticed any differences but then again I wasn't looking for any.
I will look to see what RAM each has.

Qu 3) does the Go-app connect to the internet ONLY when the app is in use by me i.e when I have started it or it has been started by connection to a switched on controller? If relevant 'my' go-app is on an android device.
Your app only connects when/if a connection is available.
If you fly where no connection is available or you have wifi etc disabled, there will be no connection to the net.
I have seen mention of flight data. being uploaded to "DJI servers" and get the impression that this need not necessarily in pursuance of a warranty claim etc. If correct this leads to
Qu 4) is this an automatic process done every time there is a connection to the internet? If so, asided from switiching off the wifi on the, Go-app device, how do I stop this happening?
Flight data is only uploaded to DJI when you choose to upload data by clicking the cloud icon on the flight records page of the app (synching data).
I have also just got a Nexus Tablet on which I DO NOT want the app updated, there is no problem with the Nexus, I just want the features in the existing app preserved. So the wifi will most definitely be off on that.
To prevent updating, you can still use wifi.
But you have to turn off auto-updates in your Android settings.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20