What "part" controls altitude compensation?

Reaction score
Hey guys, interested to know what part inside the phantom controls the altitude and or altitude compensation?

I'm having problems with my phantom 2 randomly gaining altitude by itself. I have tried everything to fix bit I think my best plan of attack is to start replacing faulty "parts"

Would the main controller Naza unit be the best first part to try? I'm guessing the compass and gps don't control altitude?

This is what I have tried previously just in case

Randomly gaining altitude with no input, Suggestions ? | DJI Phantom Forum

Hey guys, interested to know what part inside the phantom controls the altitude and or altitude compensation?

I'm having problems with my phantom 2 randomly gaining altitude by itself. I have tried everything to fix bit I think my best plan of attack is to start replacing faulty "parts"

Would the main controller Naza unit be the best first part to try? I'm guessing the compass and gps don't control altitude?

This is what I have tried previously just in case

Randomly gaining altitude with no input, Suggestions ? | DJI Phantom Forum
That definitely sounds like a compass error. Try calibrating the compass through the Naza software or, like in my case that is was so magnetized that I had to just buy the compass and swap it. $25.00 repair, nothing when you consider you could lose the entire aircraft.

Darkcom
DJI Phantom FC40 Mod. Miami, Florida

That definitely sounds like a compass error. Try calibrating the compass through the Naza software or, like in my case that is was so magnetized that I had to just buy the compass and swap it. $25.00 repair, nothing when you consider you could lose the entire aircraft.

Darkcom
Really the compass could cause it to gain altitude? I would have thought the compass only determined the direction it pointed

Really the compass could cause it to gain altitude? I would have thought the compass only determined the direction it pointed
Nope. When mine went out of whack my quad would lose and gain altitude when flying around and I had to compensate each time not to mention it wouldn't stay put while on GPS mode.
Test the compass, call DJI support if you need assistance to verify the compass needs recalibration, replace it if necessary.

Darkcom

The altitude is measured by a barometric pressure sensor which is part of the IMU (inertial measurement unit) which is part of the Naza.
The Naza must be replaced to replace the baro. sensor.

But before that try adjusting the Vertical gain in the P2 assistant.

Reactions: jason
Nope. When mine went out of whack my quad would lose and gain altitude when flying around and I had to compensate each time not to mention it wouldn't stay put while on GPS mode.
Test the compass, call DJI support if you need assistance to verify the compass needs recalibration, replace it if necessary.

Darkcom
Thanks for the input, pretty sure compass isn't the issue though as it hovers just fine

Cheers

Last edited:
The altitude is measured by a barometric pressure sensor which is part of the IMU (inertial measurement unit) which is part of the Naza.
The Naza must be replaced to replace the baro. sensor.

But before that try adjusting the Vertical gain in the P2 assistant.
This is what I thought and suspected I have opened the IMU and checked to see dust and or moisture had not gotten in, might try the compass first as it's a cheaper option but this will be my next plan of attack

Thanks for the reply.

You opened the Naza and then the IMU?

It's your call but if you have used a compass before you must know it tells you nothing about your altitude.

You opened the Naza and then the IMU?

It's your call but if you have used a compass before you must know it tells you nothing about your altitude.
Success!!!! I just did a 15 Min flight without any issues

Solution was

I removed the phantom IMU from the main circuit board undid the screws and blew it out with can of compressed air, I also blew compressed air over all the circuit boards. I noticed there was some sand/dust that had collected inside.

I'm in central Australia and the dust has a high iron count so may have been causing issues.

I'll keep testing but this is a very positive start!

Thanks for the input N017RW defiantly helped pointing me in the right direction

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31