What MPH is "too windy" to fly ?

Reaction score
Last few days here in Jacksonville it has been quite windy.... I am reluctant to send the bird up....
Is there a specific number you guys watch for ? Example : (if gusts are under 15MPH, good to go ?)

Last few days here in Jacksonville it has been quite windy.... I am reluctant to send the bird up....
Is there a specific number you guys watch for ? Example : (if gusts are under 15MPH, good to go ?)
I've flown in 25mph gust and let me tell you these drones take it like a champ. At first I was sceptical but after a while I was flying around no problem so I assume no more than 25mph but that just me I wouldn't do it everyday nor around trees,PowerLine, or anything that could obstruct the drone if a good but of wind hits it.

Reactions: beakeru2
I've flown on really, really windy days, because once you've gone out to a flight location you don't want to not fly, right? Usually the drone can handle itself pretty well, you'll just notice the battery drains faster. Here's a flight from a few weeks ago where it was extremely windy at the lakeshore:
SkyTubeLive Flight
At ~0:55 or so the forward motion you can see is pure wind driven. At ~1:28 I decided to try to land but then thought better of trying to get down before getting blown into the trees, so I went over them to the clear parking lot but did have to fight the crosswind something fierce.
Brian
www.skytubelive.com
www.instagram.com/skytubelive

I've flown on really, really windy days, because once you've gone out to a flight location you don't want to not fly, right? Usually the drone can handle itself pretty well, you'll just notice the battery drains faster. Here's a flight from a few weeks ago where it was extremely windy at the lakeshore:
SkyTubeLive Flight
At ~0:55 or so the forward motion you can see is pure wind driven. At ~1:28 I decided to try to land but then thought better of trying to get down before getting blown into the trees, so I went over them to the clear parking lot but did have to fight the crosswind something fierce.
Brian
www.skytubelive.com
I couldn't get the first video link to play , but I clicked on your instagram link and I have been enjoying those videos.. I plan to watch the rest of them this evening.. (I'm a video nerd)

Depends on the wind, and what you feel comfortable with.

Given a top speed of something around 35mph, that is the top end of wind speeds to watch for - beyond that and it's see you later....
I'm not too worried about constant wind up to about 20mph. Gusts - especially where the base wind speed and gust speeds are very different can make things uncomfortable.

I couldn't get the first video link to play , but I clicked on your instagram link and I have been enjoying those videos.. I plan to watch the rest of them this evening.. (I'm a video nerd)
Hmm. We've been hearing about people having problems, mostly when using Chrome, there seems to be some issue with some Flash Player settings causing the player to not work. Try either another browser, or if you are using chrome go to 'chrome://plugins/' and see if 'Always allowed to run' is checked under the Adobe Flash Player. Or, to be honest, maybe just try again later. Sometimes the interwebs are funny like that. At any rate, glad you are liking the videos! Drop us a line if you're an android user and want to try out the live streaming app!
Brian
www.skytubelive.com

Keep in mind that winds at 100 feet up are stronger than reported winds at the surface. Higher you go, higher the winds, and gusts. Get the app "UAV forecast" It will tell you the winds at different altitudes for the area you are flying in. You can then set it with your personal settings for what strength of wind you are comfortable flying in. Nice handy app to have. Another great app is called "windy" pretty handy too.

Found this amusing to watch on the subject of strong winds

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Cool. I was going to do the same because I have no clue on wind speed. Have a couple of apps on my phone but it would be cool to have one handy. They can get a bit pricey but have seen some for around $12.

Anyone use a hand held wind meter?
All the time. Can check out the app Windy also. [emoji6]

c47b63e29ae3e3bb8b73e5ad0770752b.jpg

For me the wind becomes a big issue when the RC tells me its ATTI Mode time. I advise everyone to pick a day with a light but noticeable wind and practice landing in ATTI mode if they haven't tried it yet. With a 20+ mph wind your bird is a handful in ATTI.

I think it also depends on what bird you are flying. I don't think a small Mavic can handle winds as well as a P3 or Inspire. I stay with about 15 Mph rule.

To find out the wind speed just put the quad in the air and stick it in ATTI mode and use the speed indicator :)

Found this amusing to watch on the subject of strong winds

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
Is anyone else feeling sorry for that poor drone? :)

On another note... I recently flew my P3 advanced on a windy mountain peak while skiing and it did remarkably well. The footage was shaky and I was nervous but it held it's own. Probably 35 mph winds.

For photography I prefer to go up with less than 15 mph. Otherwise, leds than 25 mph and go up wind first. There's always tomorrow!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.