What motor works with PV?

Reaction score
F! Crashed bad this morning! ...lost 4 props, 1 is jammed on the motor so tight it may never come off- 1 of the motors seems like there's debris in it, turns rough. I'll pull it apart and see what's up. In the meantime, thought I'd getthe message out to see what luck you all are having with spare parts, and I wonder if the phantom motors will work in the vision?

After the crash- I ran over to see the camera had come off, the props were destroyed, the battery popped out- but when I hooked it back together to recover the video it powered up and connected with the app- did not start the motors yet. Interestingly, the video had been running the whole time, but the last 2 minutes of the flight are missing? Weird.

Thanks- hope to be back in the air soon.

Here's the after-crash-on-the-workbench picture (bottom), then the image of the motor shaft with a setscrew that apparently does hold the shaft in the pot metal casing (that is threaded to attach the prop) (middle image), and the third (top) image is the beginning of me learning how to disassemble the PV to remove and replace the motor. I spoke with the guys at All E RC (where I bought my PV) and they thought the motor MIGHT be the same as the Phantom, and only costs $24. I'm going to try it, since I sheared off one of the shafts removing a stuck prop, and since 'parts' aren't available to just purchase one casing.

More to come as I learn how to DIY Phantom style.

I am assuming that I must remove the entire top piece to work on one motor? Has anyone cut into one of these yet?

Thanks

Attachments

• crash1.jpg
    crash1.jpg
    191.7 KB · Views: 704
  • crash2.jpg
    crash2.jpg
    220.4 KB · Views: 756
  • crash3.jpg
    crash3.jpg
    121.7 KB · Views: 748
coloradosky said:
Here's the after-crash-on-the-workbench picture (bottom), then the image of the motor shaft with a setscrew that apparently does hold the shaft in the pot metal casing (that is threaded to attach the prop) (middle image), and the third (top) image is the beginning of me learning how to disassemble the PV to remove and replace the motor. I spoke with the guys at All E RC (where I bought my PV) and they thought the motor MIGHT be the same as the Phantom, and only costs $24. I'm going to try it, since I sheared off one of the shafts removing a stuck prop, and since 'parts' aren't available to just purchase one casing.

More to come as I learn how to DIY Phantom style.

I am assuming that I must remove the entire top piece to work on one motor? Has anyone cut into one of these yet?

Thanks

Sorry for your partial loss... how did you crash it? Curious, is there soldering involved in motor replacements or is it plug and play?

Crash story:

Cold snowy morning (10 degrees, 3" fresh snow), twinkle lights are up in our mountain town and the downtown area is pretty in these conditions. Not wanting to come across anyone, (I'm a loner Dotty, a rebel) I set out at 530am for a flight right through downtown.

Video before the crash (no crash footage): https://vimeo.com/80066813

My mistake to think I could judge depth from 334 feet. The PV began to drift left and I couldn't tell if it was in front of or behind the tree I saw, and I thought the crown of the tree would prevent me from going straight up- and it was over the road so I didn't want to set it down- which would have been the best plan. Instead, I began to back slowly, straight to me- I could see the trees on either side and thought I had a clear shot. It caught 12" of a branch that was enough to tumble it to the ground, and thanks to the serious cold, the props shattered. Body seems in good shape, communication is good. I have just tested the motors and they all work, although I lost one that may have been bent or ? which prevented me from removing the last prop- and the shaft sheared off. SO I need a new one of those.

** Does anyone know if the motor housing and threads etc are the same from phantom to vision? Preparing to order a replacement phantom motor, since a million dollar vision motor isn't yet available.

Everything is a lesson I tell the kids, and here's (another) one for me. They're just a lot more expensive with this little project!

You and I are in the same boat brother. Here's my post. viewtopic.php?f=7&t=4082. I bought a P1 motor from Aerial media Pros my local dji guru place. They said the p1 motor wi work as it it identical. They think. I'll let ya know how it works out in about an hour.

James

Motor works like a champ. No issues at all so far. Unfortunately I couldn't fly outside because it decided to rain 1 of the 10 times all year today. Lucky me. Well I did fly it in the house with the prop guards on and it flew just like it did before I replaced the motor. I still have to check the video to see what if any affect it had on the video quality. It HAS to be better. But I did find another noisy motor and I am going to replace it too. It might be the reason I am drifting back and to the right. That motor is in that corner. I'll do that when me little boy goes to sleep. Hopefully i'll have an update this afternoon.

James

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-11-22 at 1.11.40 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-11-22 at 1.11.40 PM.png
    490.7 KB · Views: 682
  • Screen Shot 2013-11-22 at 1.11.58 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-11-22 at 1.11.58 PM.png
    478.9 KB · Views: 696
  • Screen Shot 2013-11-22 at 1.11.40 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-11-22 at 1.11.40 PM.png
    490.7 KB · Views: 688
Khakis1999 said:
Right now all you have is a pile of broken Chinese plastic. Send it immediately to
Dronefly. You pay 100 bucks plus parts free shipping back. It looks like you have easily 640us in damage. Let this be a lesson to you stop flying like an ahole or pay up . No Excuses needed .

Hey pal did you wake up on the wrong side of the bed or something? The guys havin a rough day as it is. Surely you could come up with something more constructive or helpful. Perhaps not. Maybe it would be better not so add anything at all if you are only going to criticize in such a demeaning way. Really it's not warranted or wanted.

James

+1

By not sending it to a pro he's learnt a **** site more about the internals of his aircraft than any of us have, saved himself $100, and will be able to do it again quick and easy next time. Heck, after the initial shock of the crash I bet he's on cloud nine right now getting it back in the air by himself. Great stuff, I say.

(As long as you insulate those soldered joint, mind you! ;) )

Khakis1999 said:
Right now all you have is a pile of broken Chinese plastic. Send it immediately to
Dronefly. You pay 100 bucks plus parts free shipping back. It looks like you have easily 640us in damage. Let this be a lesson to you stop flying like an ahole or pay up . No Excuses needed .

What was that all about?

Khakis1999- I'm into the crash for $44 including 2 day shipping, eager to take this thing apart and get it back in the air without sending it off for weeks and paying someone else to learn about this machine.

----

Thanks James for the info, pictures and your /positive/ attitude! I appreciate the helpful voices here and will try to offer that to others that come behind me (and my mistakes).

Pull_Up said:
+1

By not sending it to a pro he's learnt a **** site more about the internals of his aircraft than any of us have, saved himself $100, and will be able to do it again quick and easy next time. Heck, after the initial shock of the crash I bet he's on cloud nine right now getting it back in the air by himself. Great stuff, I say.

(As long as you insulate those soldered joint, mind you! ;) )

Hey someone positive...I like it. Thanks. And yes insulate your soldering or you will have issues to say the least..your ESC won't be happy with shorting out.

James

It would be better if you soldered the wires directly to the board, if not at least put shrink sleeving on wires. To add shrink sleeving it would require unsoldering and resoldering the wires so it would be just as easy to put them directly on the board. Using tape to insulate would not be as good due to the vibration and possibility of it working loose over time.

AHill said:
It would be better if you soldered the wires directly to the board, if not at least put shrink sleeving on wires. To add shrink sleeving it would require unsoldering and resoldering the wires so it would be just as easy to put them directly on the board. Using tape to insulate would not be as good due to the vibration and possibility of it working loose over time.

After doing it I agree 100%. I was going to add bullet connectors but its too tight in there.

SO...

Now that its all back together it's a good news bad news situation. Good news is it flys PERFECTLY!!! Super stoked on that. Got rid of the drifting it had by replacing the other motor. Rock solid stable. Man thats a relief.

The Bad news is after all that... the video still sucks. I must have banged up the camera. It doesn't have any rattling inside or anything. When not moving the video is fine. Once that camera is moved in the slightest way I get vibration. crazy super wavy vibration sound like something you actually want. Its brutal. Im going to hook my go pro or maybe even my contour up to it. to confirm this. But it looks like I screwed up the most expensive part on the whole DANG thing. Grrrreat!

.....Sigh....

James

Yes. I started with easy stuff first. Finally decided to go all the way to replacing motors.

I have replaced the props, the pillow dampener mount deals, played with connections and replaced the motors. It flys great now. Rock solid. I'm happy about that but I'm hosed on the video. I must have jostled the camera the worse than I knew. Worse than it was designed to I guess. Man I can't believe a 5' fall would do that.. dang it. Im so bummed right now. I bought the PV over the P1 specifically for the camera and its slick interface. A couple of casual crashes...and now its useless for video. Seems like I can still take good stills which is cool but thats a consolation at best.

I did confirm (in my mind) that it is the PVs camera. I mounted a go pro on top of it right to the body with no padding other than the sticky tape. Nearly no shake or jello at all for 10 minutes of flying. Granted this was in my house in my main living room that has high ceilings. I couldn't get crazy but didn't need to. The video on the PV camera has monster waves and jello coursing through it and the Go Pro is smooth as silk despite being mounted right to the body.

CRAAAAAAP!!

I'm done for today. I guess I'm going to have to buy another **** camera or send this one back for repair. Who knows how long that will take. Son a B!#$%. Im not a happy guy right now. My own fault ultimately and I will suck it up and get over it. Right now I need a drink....

James

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic