What lense for each condition

Reaction score
To our hard core photo and video takers, which type of lens are you using in each weather condition? I have a lens kit, but not entirely sure which lens I should use to get the best results. Has anyone seen a good site to detail this out?

Here's a general ND filter usage guide:

Filter-Use-Chart.png

Msinger once again has given you the best answer. Take these general guidelines and play some more. Lighting is a fickle, personal being.

Reactions: Amwilber
A very good question and easily confusing. Capturing video and taking photos are two different things. The biggest difference in your settings is the shutter speed. Video should be captured at 1/60 shutter speed or below. If you fly close to the ground, trees or other objects, a faster shutter speed will look jittery and not natural to the eye. Slower shutter speeds have a natural motion blur similar to how your eye would perceive the motion. I start with the lowest ISO I can get away with given the natural light, set the shutter speed at 1/60 and see what ND filter works with those settings. Keep in mind you may need some latitude to work with depending on the range of exposures you may experience in the course of your flight. I typically use the ND64 or ND32 for capturing video on a sunny day. I’m not sure of the stop factor of the polarizer filters as I only have the ND 16/32/64 set. I’d guess the polarizer are ND8.

Photos are different than video capture in that you’re gonna want a faster shutter speed. It doesn’t take much movement from the drone to deliver a less than sharp image. Typically, faster shutter speed, the better (and a low ISO). The ND filters aren’t really necessary as you can jack up the shutter speed. I’d be more likely to use a polarizer for photos. The challenge as a pilot is that you can’t change filters mid-flight.

I typically prefer to capture video and work on cinematic moves. I often forget to take photos. But, I’d likely do the photos on a different flight for the reason of shutter speed. A polarizer would be more appropriate in this case or when I’m shooting video and don’t need as much ND. If you use a polarizer, be sure to rotate it until it cuts the glare.

Reactions: Amwilber

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl