what is the max wind speed you feel comfortable flying in?

Reaction score
I'm a bit new with this and wondering what the max wind speed you guys would fly in? What do you think is the max wind speed the Phantom can hold a position in on its own?

thanks...

Re: what is the max wind speed you feel comfortable flying i

No idea what the max is, but the precautionary principle should kick in - if you're not sure if it's too windy, then it's too windy!

I have had the Vision holding position nicely at height when the surface winds were blowing in the mid-teens mph - winds aloft were probably at least 50% stronger. It puts a bit of a lean on, though, and it's not very steady for filming (even stills will have a pronounced lean due to the aircraft compensating). I wouldn't try landing it unless you can get in the lee of something at those wind speeds without experience. Better to grab it out of the air and shut down while holding on. I certainly wouldn't take it out of GPS mode unless you are quite experienced.

The problem with the wind is that whilst you've an idea of what's happening on the surface, that's not necessarily what's happening "up there". Also near the ground you can get gusts, rotor from trees or buildings, etc, that can catch you out. Better to have your Vision on the ground wishing it was up in the air than the other way round...

race3 said:
I'm a bit new with this and wondering what the max wind speed you guys would fly in? What do you think is the max wind speed the Phantom can hold a position in on its own?

thanks...

In my opinion, you're risking it flying in winds any higher than 15 mph (even w/it being in GPS mode). Though I'm sure it "could" fly in 20+ mph winds, I wouldn't recommend it.

Pull_Up is spot on.

Pull_Up said:
No idea what the max is, but the precautionary principle should kick in - if you're not sure if it's too windy, then it's too windy!

I have had the Vision holding position nicely at height when the surface winds were blowing in the mid-teens mph - winds aloft were probably at least 50% stronger. It puts a bit of a lean on, though, and it's not very steady for filming (even stills will have a pronounced lean due to the aircraft compensating). I wouldn't try landing it unless you can get in the lee of something at those wind speeds without experience. Better to grab it out of the air and shut down while holding on. I certainly wouldn't take it out of GPS mode unless you are quite experienced.

The problem with the wind is that whilst you've an idea of what's happening on the surface, that's not necessarily what's happening "up there". Also near the ground you can get gusts, rotor from trees or buildings, etc, that can catch you out. Better to have your Vision on the ground wishing it was up in the air than the other way round...

I can agree with Pull_Up due to first hand negative experience while landing when flying in 15MPH winds. My next move was to scour the web for new props...

-slinger

I read this thread before seeing this video by Photoshop guru, Russell Brown, in which he flies a P2V off an oceanside cliff. Surely the winds are strong there! Brown gives some flying advice in his video but nary a mention of wind. This isn't the first video on the web where a P2V is flying near the ocean, over a beach, etc. Is it all a matter of cojones?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers