What is the Max Height Allowed in Your Country?

Reaction score
Hi

Took my Phantom 3 to the max legal height in my country (UK) for the first time yesterday - 400 feet. Have to admit, I was a bit nervous as I expected the thing to disappear into the stratosphere, but thankfully it didn't end up 'lost in space.' Once I got it to 400 feet, I felt it would have been good to be allowed to go a bit higher to capture the scale of the mountainous landscape around me.

What is the maximum legal height allowed in your country? Do you feel that the height limit in your country is restrictive?

Hi

Took my Phantom 3 to the max legal height in my country (UK) for the first time yesterday - 400 feet. Have to admit, I was a bit nervous as I expected the thing to disappear into the stratosphere, but thankfully it didn't end up 'lost in space.' Once I got it to 400 feet, I felt it would have been good to be allowed to go a bit higher to capture the scale of the mountainous landscape around me.

What is the maximum legal height allowed in your country? Do you feel that the height limit in your country is restrictive?
NZ 400ft , could be more ,,,but lot of low air traffic here...planes and helicopters

Same here in Australia I believe, 400ft/120m

In US here. "400 feet" is a relative term. I usually try to stay under it, only a couple of times I've maxed my phantom out in rural areas. The problem with the rules is that no one actually follows them.:confused:

During my initial commercial piloting days in the early 90's, I did a lot of photo flights - among other things - in order to log time. C152 and C172 stuff. The clients always wanted me to get down around 300' in order to take pics of some boat, house, or news event. It was rare that I could legally, and often the pics had to be taken at 500' - 1000', much to the frustration of the client. Now, we have these little photo copters, and folks want to take them up to these undesirable heights in order to take surface photos and vids. I can understand the rare sunrise or sunset shots up high, but for the most part, 400' is good enough.

Same here in Australia I believe, 400ft/120m

Australia 120 is in controlled areas outside of that it's not fixed.

I live in Taiwan and in Taipei City it's 60m but many no fly areas in that city. There are several tourist spots where drones are now not allowed. In other areas there are no restrictions so 500m the drone can do is allowed. Better to let a drone climb 500m than me climbing up a steep mountain side with a drone.

Last edited:
Reactions: jwmcgrath
Hi

Do a search on the bmfa site regarding height, 400ft is the normal requirement, but if you satisfy conditions you can go to 1000ft

In US here. "400 feet" is a relative term. I usually try to stay under it, only a couple of times I've maxed my phantom out in rural areas. The problem with the rules is that no one actually follows them.:confused:

Some of us do follow them to the "T".

Reactions: Bckmstr
Curious thread... since it's unlikely I'll fly anywhere other than North America any time soon I've only really ever compared us in Canada to the US, but this does intrigue me.

90m (295') here in Canada. Now I'm wondering if ANY other country is limited to that.

Now there is a thread with new, tight restrictions in Germany as well. They are now limited to 100m... closest I've seen yet to Canada's 90m and that's new (according to the OP of that thread).

I really hope it doesn't get limited to 90m, that would be really bad news. How are people in certain countries able to go above the max legal limit!? With the DJI Phantom in the UK, as far as I'm aware it's impossible to fly higher than 400 feet, as this restriction is literally built into the firmware.

The am of the belief that most people in my area of New York follow the majority of the rules... It's rare that I ever hear of someone around here going over 400'...

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4