What is the coolest/neatest mod you've seen/bought/or heard of?

Reaction score
I like the LED light idea, I've heard of people painting their drones. Of course the gps locators you can attach but is there something out there I can mod my p3p and p3a with to make it look pretty cool?

And post pictures if you have them please

Not really customized, or decorated. For protection to camera and gimbal, I have a cool red 3D printed Gimbal Guard with my phone number printed into it. I have also added a set of Lume Cubes to my Phantom 3 Pro', which are great for orientation, and incredibly useful for my drone photography endeavors. ;-)

RedHotPoker

Not really customized, or decorated. For protection to camera and gimbal, I have a cool red 3D printed Gimbal Guard with my phone number printed into it. I have also added a set of Lume Cubes to my Phantom 3 Pro', which are great for orientation, and incredibly useful for my drone photography endeavors. ;-)

RedHotPoker
tbh, I tried the gimbal guard and still broke a camera on a hard landing so the jury is still out for me. I'm really intrigued about those Lume Cubes tho but not for $184 on Amazon. Wow! In their promo video it shows different light-like can you adjust those lights up and down during flight? and/or turn them off/on during flight? and I'm curious what are you taking pictures of in the dark? haha

Sorry to hear about your camera. Must have been a very hard crash. Which type of guard were you using at the time? Carbon fiber or plastic, injection mold or perhaps a 3D printed material, like this one of mine?
Yes on the surface, they Do seem, like they're kinda pricey, but to me, worth every dollar.
Order them directly from their website. www.lumecube.com

I just hooked up a nice rack, to hang mine on a small tripod I had collecting dust. What a great optional way for me, to utilize these brilliant cubes. Both with my drone or awesome DSLR photography. ;-)

I will post pics tomorrow, when I can show you them clearly on my rather sweet setup. Even if I do say so myself. Haha
Yes, they are adjustable, and can be tilted up-down & straight ahead. Or towards 'her' rear end too. Haha
For ultimate control, besides the two buttons, these also have their nicely designed PRO app, with plenty of user parameter options. Brightness settings, strobe modes, device and DSLR photography uses, including slave flash.
Yes, You can control them while in flight, if within link of blue tooth distance away.

Everyone asks me, what's going on in the dark, besides having incredible orientation lights? Both in brightest day and at darkest night!! The three available strobe modes are quite amazing.
I will be sharing some of my nicest pics and a few memorable vids with the world, very soon.

RedHotPoker

Last edited:
Carbon fiber made by Skyreat from Amazon. Off topic, but do you recommend one over the other?

I'm REALLY geeking on these lume cubes now. I'm trying to find an excuse to spend that much money on this-other than freaking out my neighbors with bright lights at night! haha

Ya, post some video if you can and maybe even not drone video but from external source so we can see how bright they are.

What would be really cool is if you could pan/tilt/zoom the lights while in the air.

How long do they take to recharge after a full discharge? I could not find that info any where.

ok, anyone else have cool ideas I need to spend money on? lol

I can best suggest, to be using a guard. And only familiar with this style, 3D printed by a forum friend.
Forget about your neighbours, and think about cool photography.
Having 1500 Lumens at 6000k is remarkable coming from a tiny cube that measures only 1.6"X1.6". Multiply times 2, and you can really see the subject...
You could probably rig up an RC servo, if you wanted more directional control remotely. ;-)
Charge fully, in about an hour, connected to a couple of my hp desktop's 12 usb's.

RedHotPoker

Last edited:
carbon fiber is the only material of choice on a camera guard, and it must be securely mounted, like with zip ties. Also metal retainer pins instead of the plastic ones DJI uses to hold the camera onto the anti jello board.

I've been curious about mounting lights on my P3 also. I've seen the lumecube sight, pretty impressive. I'd like to see pics too, RedHotPoker.

@fastsmiles & @Huskerfan, you both can look forward, to my sharing some of my exceptional 12mp drone pics and 4K video as well. ;-)
Coming to both, a YouTube & Vimeo website, near you. Hahaha

RedHotPoker

Reactions: Huskerfan
A couple, of my Lume Cube stand.
image.jpeg

image.jpg

You know how we are, Being left handed. . . ;-)

RedHotPoker

I like the LED light idea, I've heard of people painting their drones. Of course the gps locators you can attach but is there something out there I can mod my p3p and p3a with to make it look pretty cool?
And post pictures if you have them please
This is my DIY project using a WS2812B addressable LED strip along with a mini controller from eBay. Unlike typical LED strips that change colors together, each LED on the strip can be controlled individually so you get a "horserace" pattern. I split it up into four sections and soldered the connections such that the pattern is symmetrical from any direction. The pattern also reflects on the props!
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

This is my DIY project using a WS2812B addressable LED strip along with a mini controller from eBay. Unlike typical LED strips that change colors together, each LED on the strip can be controlled individually so you get a "horserace" pattern. I split it up into four sections and soldered the connections such that the pattern is symmetrical from any direction. The pattern also reflects on the props!
That's pretty cool. Thanks for sharing!

That's pretty dang cool!

can you show close ups of that ufo light, I really want that
I mocked it up for a couple of photos, haven't flown it in a while.
IMG_0803.JPG IMG_0802.JPG
I ordered this LED strip on Amazon because it is unusually narrow to work better on the rounded Phantom body.
https://www.amazon.com/Ws2812b-60le...&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00
The mini controller was from eBay.
LED Symphony Controller For WS2812B WS2812 LED Strip Light & 14Key Remote 5V
They are powered by a small LiPo battery and power converter for the 5V. I used two batteries to maintain balance, but one is enough power, or two smaller batteries would also work.
https://www.amazon.com/Ship-Hobbywi...1_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=QZ97H1BKSZQH9R9ZFBV5
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0072AEHIC/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

RedHotPoker
Nice one hahahaha

Why yes, the Lume Cubes are certainly some of the hottest~coolest additions to my Phantom 3 flight kit. As Brilliant of an idea, as I have seen around, in a decently measured while.
LumeCube | Portable, Durable, Powerful Lights for Photo and Video
Amazing how our digital electronics keep improving, while the ever creative minds, find novel exciting ways, to aid in our most beloved hobbies and enriched lives.
Kickstarter has to be praised, for their business model, helping these flourishing fresh new, upstarts becoming small successful companies in getting going, at full steam.

RedHotPoker

I've done a few mods and experiments to my oldest P3 which is the most stable and thus the one I use the most, but it's minor stuff. I have a serious fetish for carbon fiber and even do some projects myself, so I got a gimbal support made from CF to replace the plastic one, and also a CF camera guard for my oldest P3P. Also, switched the original antenna for a DBS02 panel. Oh, and some ND filters for different condition too.

What is it about Carbon Fiber that most guys seem to all like it?
We ourselves are carbon based. Perhaps that's part of the real magnetic attraction.
For the love of carbon... ;-)
image.jpeg

RedHotPoker

Cable ties to replace the plastic drop pins on the gimble board vibration dampers.

I haven't seen anything else that might improve performance without a weight penalty (reduced flight time). Battery mods excepted.

Reactions: Huskerfan
:D:D
What is it about Carbon Fiber that most guys seem to all like it?
We ourselves are carbon based. Perhaps that's part of the real magnetic attraction.
For the love of carbon... ;-)
View attachment 63235

RedHotPoker

Yeah, just wait until Graphene becomes more common and we'll have a serious CF replacement to drool on :D

I'm attracted by CF's the low weight, high strenght and varied, versatile application. And the nice looks of course. To be honest I like other "exquisite" materials as well, such as titanium, rare alloys and the like. But most are difficult to find or deal with, of just too expensive, unlike CF.

There isn't much that can't be done or improved mechanically and visually with CF, and it's amazing that pretty much anyone can make stuff from it. I've got a lot stuff from CF as well and can't get tired of it :p

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobDan