What is the coldest temp anyone has flown their Phanton 3 at

I flew my p3p in 19 degrees Fahrenheit today no problems. Camera lens iced up a bit though

Going up to Winona, MN this weekend and wanted to fly out there. The temp seems to be anywhere between 30 to 38 degrees. I have flown in about 36 degree weather and the quad did act a little funny from what I can remember but just brought it inside for a bit and then back out and was fine. So curious about others cold weather jaunts. Thanks.

Paul
Flew a phantom 3A a few days ago in Sedona. The temperature was 23 degrees F. No problems.

I just flew Friday in 20°F with no problems. Batteries didn't last as long as usual, but that was expected.

~ -20*C w/ 10Km/h winds today, Phantom had no issues but my iPad Air shut down after ten minutes or so, had to jump into the Jeep and hold the iPad next to some hot air from the vents for a few minutes to get it to fire back up. Even though the iPad had shut off completely I was still able to fly LOS back to the Jeep and land without issue and the camera kept recording the whole time until it was shut down after landing. I then installed a fresh battery and flew from inside the Jeep which sketched me out a little as my Jeep has a heavy after market cage but fortunately it didn't interfere. Thinking it might be an idea to install external antennae on my Jeep for just suck occasion.

MRC CPL filter...maybe a little dark for that today :rolleyes:
DJI_0009_zpsc4d4ermc.jpg

Last edited:
~ -20*C w/ 10Km/h winds today, Phantom had no issues but my iPad Air shut down after ten minutes or so, had to jump into the Jeep and hold the iPad next to some hot air from the vents for a few minutes to get it to fire back up. Even though the iPad had shut off completely I was still able to fly LOS back to the Jeep and land without issue and the camera kept recording the whole time until it was shut down after landing. I then installed a fresh battery and flew from inside the Jeep which sketched me out a little as my Jeep has a heavy after market cage but fortunately it didn't interfere. Thinking it might be an idea to install external antennae on my Jeep for just suck occasion.

MRC CPL filter...maybe a little dark for that today :rolleyes:
DJI_0009_zpsc4d4ermc.jpg
Seems like a reoccurring theme with Ipads, shutting down in cold weather after short periods of time. I've been out flying to -20 F / -29 C recently, multiple flights, and did not have similar issues but I use a Samsung Galaxy Tab S. Maybe iPads have a temperature sensor that forces them to shut off.

Seems like a reoccurring theme with Ipads, shutting down in cold weather after short periods of time. I've been out flying to -20 F / -29 C recently, multiple flights, and did not have similar issues but I use a Samsung Galaxy Tab S. Maybe iPads have a temperature sensor that forces them to shut off.

Taken from Apple.com,

Environmental Requirements
Operating temperature: 32° to 95° F (0° to 35° C)
Nonoperating temperature: -4° to 113° F (-20° to 45° C)
Relative humidity: 5% to 95% noncondensing

I am looking for a dedicated unit for the Phantom, I was thinking of the iPad mini as I find the iPad a little too big and my iPhone 6+ a little small but obviously now I need to keep operating temperatures in mind...I guess I have some research to do.

Taken from Apple.com,

I am looking for a dedicated unit for the Phantom, I was thinking of the iPad mini as I find the iPad a little too big and my iPhone 6+ a little small but obviously now I need to keep operating temperatures in mind...I guess I have some research to do.
Perhaps iPads and iPhones aren't the answer if your looking for performance in the cold. As mentioned my galaxy tab s does well, also my galaxy s4.

Perhaps iPads and iPhones aren't the answer if your looking for performance in the cold. As mentioned my galaxy tab s does well, also my galaxy s4.

Thinking I should add external antennaes to the Jeep and make it into a mobile ground station so I don't even need to go out in the cold...The Jeep also offers more mobility than my wheelchair in this weather and it's warmer ;)

flew my P3P yesterday in about 31 F. Batteries and P3 were inside prior to flight. Latest firmware on everything. Battery was at 100% prior to flight. About %95 after calibrating and actually taking off. Gave full sticks forward and to ascent about 30 seconds into flight and everything went well. Only flew for about 6 minutes covering maybe 1.5 miles total distance.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20