What is the best software

Reaction score
I'm looking for advice on the best software for editing pics/video from the P4 so I can give/ sell to clients. And what equipment I need like computer, monitor and any thing more I may need. I'm a newb but I have 3-4K to spend. I also have a computer guru that will help me with the setup. Tks in advance [emoji106][emoji89]

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

You'll get differing opinions. I was a PC guy all my life (programmer) but got tired of having to upgrade my system every couple of years and having to wrestle with my kid's PCs / laptops being slow and locking up after two years. Additionally, operating updates would cause issues and always cost a few hundred dollars, never mind all the software you had to buy. So I switched to the Mac platform a decade ago and couldn't be happier. The initial system will cost you more, but it will last for YEARS. I've had my MacBook Pro for since 2011 and it runs as good and fast as the day I bought it. Never had one issue. I did upgrade the memory and HD, but that's it. And in terms of the operating system(s) and their updates / upgrades - they're always free! Software? Usually free or a minimal cost. Long-term, I've saved thousands, and have been headache free. If you're in the market to buy, I would wait another month or two and look at purchasing the new line of MacBook Pros that will be out. They will feature the latest chip-set technology from Intel (Kaby Lake). For editing, I use Final Cut Pro from Apple, which is a professional but affordable editing suite. It's also easy to learn. Your Mac OS comes with iMovie (free) which for most people is all they need to make polished pro videos and it will also teach you how to edit. Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Yeah, I noticed that some of the Apple software does seem to be more reasonably priced lately. Final Cut Pro is pretty good but only for Apple. DaVinci Resolve 12.5 is half the price of the Windows version if you buy it in the Apple store ($500 Apple vs. $1000 Windows, although they have a trimmed down free version that I think lacks the 4K as being free.). DJI also has some 3D LUT download for Resolve too that speeds it up a bit in post. You could also sign on for the rental software of Adobe that uses Premier and After Effects too.

I'm not crazy over the glossy and contrasty surface of the Apple display as blacks get crushed and lack detail unless really flattened (D-log) along with a lot of post work. A Hollywood colorist talked me into moving to the Eizo CG 4K monitor, but it is expensive. A lot better perhaps for stills and printing too.

The Apple iPad series does seem to work better overall for DJI Go than the two Android Samsungs I have. Trying to sync it all together might be easier if you stay with Apple than needing to do things in iTunes on a Windows machine, or dealing with any video lag over USB cables in the Android and Window machines, imhe.

Good luck!

I use a PC at work all day but I do all my drone stuff on my Mac at home because I just cant make a reasonable windoze machine process like a mac does.

I run an install of Open Drone Map on an Amazon web Service so all my post processing of Point Clouds and ortho is done using that machine and I hate SSH on putty so prefer to use the cmd line of MAC.

For editing photos I use GIMP and vids I either use Imovie or Camtasia (I am not a movie guy)

I run an install of Open Drone Map on an Amazon web Service so all my post processing of Point Clouds and ortho is done using that machine (I am not a movie guy)

Never heard of ODM, however, thanks to you lentil, I do now. Awesome! Thank you!

No Worries Happpy to help. its a really healthy Opensource Community

Never heard of ODM, however, thanks to you lentil, I do now. Awesome! Thank you!
I have found with a Bitbucket and Git install in the past transferring Data to and from the AWS machine is awesome

Im still in the Adobe Photoshop Lightroom free trial and so far so good. At $9.00 a month after that is doesn't seem too bad either. For video iMovie is item 9.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic