What is holding the motor together.......

Reaction score
I'm been racking my brain on trying to get the motor apart to change the bearings after taking out the fastening ring. It will not come apart. Am I missing something???

I had the same issue, the copper winding wire (if thats what u call it) was jamming and I had to prise it apart with a screw driver. I managed to push the wire back with out breaking it so I am hoping it will be ok.

What do the experts think, should I replace the motor :?: :?: :?:

I replaced the bearings and it does spin ok.

Steve

I had the same issue, the copper winding wire (if thats what u call it) was jamming and I had to prise it apart with a screw driver. I managed to push the wire back with out breaking it so I am hoping it will be ok.

If you are talking about one of the copper windings coming out of place, and jamming between the stator it's wound on, and the
bellhousing, then you most certainly need to replace it.

I had the same problem, with a motor that was wound too loosely. It will continue to be a problem due to centrifugal force
when the motor is spinning..

One of these times, you will not be so lucky, and if it jams, and gets stuck while flying, your Phantom will fall.
"And calling Colin Guinn, won't put your Phantom together again" (you'll just have to imagine the nursery rhyme voice) :D

+1 - I wiggled the red/yellow/black wires around too much on a motor during a bearing repair and it pulled the windings loose. It was shorting out on the magnets, twitching and even beeping and never worked enough to even get a full rotation.... a good thing because if it had worked, as Audaciter suggests, it would have failed in the air and the Phantom is no Boeing 747 when it comes to flying on 3! :p

Conclusion - If the motor doesn't come apart with GREAT ease (including the bearings simply popping out) then i'd replace it. Just not worth the risk for £18/$25.

Now i'm worried.
Surely the windings are stationery, the outside is rotating, so no forces :?:
After putting back it together it feels the same as all the others. I had replaced all the bearings after it went swimming.
Which it does poorly :oops:

weven said:
Now i'm worried.
Surely the windings are stationery, the outside is rotating, so no forces :?:
After putting back it together it feels the same as all the others. I had replaced all the bearings after it went swimming.
Which it does poorly :oops:

You should be fine. The reason knackered my windings up was because i was lazy and tried the bearing replacement without opening the shell. I had no room to work with and that meant twisting the motor around more than you'd ever need to with the shell open.

Likewise I had to beat the living crap out of both upper and lower bearings to get them out. To the point it broke both bearings. Assuming you didn't have that sort of effort you should be fine. If in any fear or doubt then now is the time to upgrade the motors to tasty T-Motor Anti Gravitys (if you can find anyone with them!). Audaciter has them and given his colourful look on the world after making the change, its safe to say they are a good choice!

Thanks for all the responses. The clip and additional small ring were long removed but still no luck. I finally just gave up and only applied a few drops of oil to each bearing. On my my next go-around. I'll just replaced the motors entirely. For now, I'm coming up on my 80th flight with these motors and so far, so good. Has anyone found good replacement motor screws? The stock ones I have seem to strip pretty easily. Luckily I used my torx "what-a-ma-callits" and I was able to remove the screws.

FangsCPO said:
I'm been racking my brain on trying to get the motor apart to change the bearings after taking out the fastening ring. It will not come apart. Am I missing something???
I thought the same thing, but it's simply the magnetic field within the motor that is causing your resistance to pulling the motor apart.
Don't use anything sharp or metallic if you can but you just need to persevere with something solid and prise the outer housing from the stator inside. Once they are apart, be careful when putting them back together. The magnets have quite a strong pull and you could trap your skin when it closes together.

Maveriksam said:
FangsCPO said:
I thought the same thing, but it's simply the magnetic field within the motor that is causing your resistance to pulling the motor apart.
Don't use anything sharp or metallic if you can but you just need to persevere with something solid and prise the outer housing from the stator inside. Once they are apart, be careful when putting them back together. The magnets have quite a strong pull and you could trap your skin when it closes together.

Good to know. I may just go with fresh motors than.

FangsCPO said:
Maveriksam said:
FangsCPO said:

Good to know. I may just go with fresh motors than.

I still can't get this apart. That is one strong *** magnet, are you sure there is nothing else to remove to free up the motor casing????

I still can't get this apart. That is one strong *** magnet, are you sure there is nothing else to remove to free up the motor casing????

There are 14 magnets inside, but if you have removed the E-clip and thrust washer from the bottom, grab the top, and
bottom, and twist while pulling, it should come apart quite easily.

The only reason it would not come apart, is if something is jammed, or the bearings have overheated and fused to the shaft.
And if that is the case, you need a new motor.

Fangs

Read my post.

I could not pull it apart and prised it open with screw driver and one copper wire was jamming it. I would guess from a previous impact. The other three came apart, but they do require a firm pull and rotate.

Cheers

weven said:
Fangs

Read my post.

I could not pull it apart and prised it open with screw driver and one copper wire was jamming it. I would guess from a previous impact. The other three came apart, but they do require a firm pull and rotate.

Cheers

Finally, the screw driver trick was the ticket. I had to use to screw drivers of equal size. Unfortunately, that particular motor is even more noisy now. The others are perfect after the bearing change. Could be the shaft on that one motor is bent slightly from all my pulling and prying. Go figure. No worries, no motors in route.

Good on ya Fangs. I reckon ur right slight shaft bend.
As a side note the motor with the copper wire issue is getting hotter than the others.
New motor ordered.

Cheers

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31