What improvements would you like on the next Vision?

Reaction score
I'm quite happy with the phantom as a machine. Not had any dramas besides a bad battery.
Obviously a stronger gimbal and camera. I'm sure others can think of improvements .

I find the app the biggest let down.

The forums here show I'm not alone complaining about signal loss or app freezing.

A simple connection for goggles would be great. We all know what a pain sun glare can be.

Smooth camera tilt from the app is a must as it is way to jerky.

S1 and S2 switches display and notification would be nice.

I wish when switching to fail safe the app didn't read 'signal lost' it should read 'fail safe engaged' or similar.

I also think that a voice speaker wouldn't be a bad idea for beginners and the lights can be hard to see in bright sun. I'm sure it would cost less than $1. A simple "home lock set" voice would be nice. I'm thinking a friendly female voice. I would call her Aerial. Heck, even my robot vacuum cleaner talks and it can't fly away or chop peoples heads off.

I can think of more but would like to hear from others.

Unlimited resources (and take this with grain of pepper).

App FPV displays IOC modes and what the phantom is thinking rather trying to figure out the morse code blinks.
Pre-flight checklist
Avoidance system/Anticrash
Water proofing like liquipel
GPS over water mapping (does calcs so if its too far out, it can go back to land or confirm if you are flying from a boat).
Follow me camera (using like Augmented Reality print out that the camera detects). Guy on kickstarter is developing one that follows the phone.
4k @ 60fps camera / 240 @ 1080p with a higher CCD
Full 180 degrees with no distortion (i think this exist already).
Low light camera mode.
Faster Photo capture speeds.
Camera needs hood for prop shadows
self deploy parachute
oculus rift compatabilty
FPV at 720 @ 15fps
Reduncy recheck for RTH/Failsafe (blah, next point will probably fix it)
dual GPS with Glonass for accuracy with dual compass (self verifying).
Higher and wider landing gear with a lower camera so we don't see the prop
Anti gravity motors (reliability)
Plugin ESC and motors for ease of upgrade
Dirty/Clean frame where the battery acts as a weight to stabilise and ultimately stop jello.
lower the Home lock to 5meters to do closer subject fly around.
Panoramic/360 photos app that stitches
Folderable like the Turbo Ace Matrix frame
Detachable/Hotswap gimbal
Auto panning. ******* yaw controls are too sensitive. (I've even adjusted to firm).
Better Antennas.
A nice case that is all terrain that also converts to a back pack.
Standalone GPS tracker with its own battery.
Snap on Prop guards - After Dark has these (but i want them cheaper).
Carbon fibre everything!
Silent props and motors to record sound - thats gonna open a can of worms.
Live facetime like streaming from phone app so your mum/gf knows where you are flying (my gf gets pissed when I play with phantom instead of her).
Support centre.
Props that cut branches so it will NEVER get stuck.
And we should give it a new name like SKYNET T1000 vision Plus version 2 Beta just so it won't have any Drone conotations.

And lastly a shark with laser beams
Now give me money :)

Bwahaha. I like the way you think though if it had all those upgrades it may be a few models up from the next Vision and perhaps, just perhaps, in a little higher price range.

Mako79, that's a heck-of-a-list.

Here's some that shouldn't be too hard for DJI to do -

Signal strength indicator for the Phantom in the Vision app. The radar is nice but not reflective of what is actually going on. a multipath/interference indicator if possible.

A better tilt control. A hard-wired add-on control on the controller (like some aftermarket gimbals)

Digital zoom?

Audio. It might be possible to put a highly directional mic pointing down that wouldn't pick up the props as the primary sound.

In general, more info about the Phantom's condition. If FPV fails, it would be great to still see some info, if that's possible.

A flashing LED on the nose that could be remotely activated for orientation and sighting.

A better display of GPS lock, and other info when launching. Maybe make this another choice in the Vision app first page. I'd like to see motor info too, like current draw, or an error log that might tell us of an impending problem.

Oh, one more: the ability to connect more than one device to the repeater so that your friend can watch too.

I really like many of the suggested 'improvements'. I'm not sure how many are actually fiscally sensible or would keep the costs in check but, some really good suggestions have been put forth.

Simple request from me really - just want to be able to view the fpv on larger screens without losing the definition by increasing its size. None of them are very good once you get over the 5" smartphone screen, and I have nexus 7 2013 version which gives you tiddly screen anyway, a samsung galaxy S3 smartphone, samsung galaxy tab3 8" which suffers with lower resolution, and an ipad mini with retina screen which again suffers from loss of resolution.

Thats all, not asking much really !!

before throwing another product on the market they need to work on their customer service and make sure to get some spare parts !!!! and all that for a fair price, not up to 800$ for a gimble+camera. been looking at the new walkera H500, i think its worth a try

There are a few relatively simple things that I would like to see from DJI as enhancements to the product:

- Customer Service

- iPad optimized App. Not sure why the later is so late in coming. Current App is set up for iPhone screen

- Battery status indicator on the transmitter.. Again, something that would be really easy to do.

- 7th channel tilt level on the back of the transmitter, so that I don’t have to take my hands off the sticks while
changing the tilt angle. The gyro function looks like it solves the problem for FPV, but not so good when you fly like I do and your eyes need to move back and forth between the display and the actual aircraft.

- One piece molded Quick Disconnect prop guards.

- An indicator that verifies Home Lock on the display.

- An indicator on the app that indicates position of left and right switches.

- An audible warning alarm, when you drop below 7 sats.

- The ability to tap on the status indicators in the upper right hand corner of the app to momentarily enlarge the indicators for
easier viewing on the iPhone.

- Ability to reset the barometer to “0” prior to take off.

- and of course a higher data transfer rate for downlink video.

- A slow beep or tone from the App while Video is being recorded so that you know that you are recording or have ceased recording. Without having to look at the app while flying.

- An audible indicator/tone when RTH has been activated.

- An Audible indicator/Tone when the Phantom is ON, but the gimbal clamp is still in place.

Note: I have listed a number of new “indicators” for the app. These should all be clustered in the upper right hand corner, and
could be magnified with a TAP, for quick easy viewing. Or there could be more than one “layer” of indicators on a slide out window in the app, brought up by a tap. And the ability to sort which indicators show up on the primary window and which ones show up on the secondary window.

HDLicht

hdlicht said:
There are a few relatively simple things that I would like to see from DJI as enhancements to the product:

- Customer Service

HDLicht

PMSL now you ARE asking WAY too much lolol

:lol:

* "Capture Screenshot" button in Vision app
* Ability to turn off front red LEDs from app for night flying
* Stealth mode to turn off ALL LEDs from app
* Integrated headlight, selectable from app
* Integrated lens hood/auto lens cover
* 40 megapixel camera with digital zoom
* Greatly increased low-light sensitivity
* Ability to record telemetry with Video/Photo
* PC App similar to Ground Station, only you upload your missions into Phantom before launch and it performs them autonomously
* Taser Package

How about just cleaning up the transmitter and having the WIFI repeater INSIDE, so it doesn't look like an afterthought and isn't weighted "weirdly". Then you will only have to charge ONE device instead if two. Micro USB charging the one large battery would be nice via micro USB. Battery charge status can be viewed by pushing a button (just like the Phantom Battery pack). And the battery may as well be swappable/replaceable. And yes, give us the channel 7 lever right on the transmitter.

Status of GPS Home Lock, S1, S2 switches, etc. should all be clearly visible on the app at all times. Too much cryptic stuff to know

I would also like to see an instant auto power cutoff if Phantom tips over on landing. Why does it have to try and purée the grass/asphalt/ dirt when it should clearly know that it has tipped over and has zero altitude? Geez - can be something as simple as a noise sensor.... I would like to see a simpler power switch instead of having to pull both sticks down and in. Maybe a covered (hinged) red button (like a nuke button) - flip up. Hold for 2 seconds. Phantom should be smart enough to never shut down in flight...

And I know it adds weight, but why not give us a real optical zoom lens? Digital zoom sucks. I guess that means we will need an EIGHTH channel?? And yeah, a lens hood of some kind to eliminate the light flashing effect when the sun shines through the props....

And..... A GREAT idea I had.... Why not allow the iPhone/android phone to act as a microphone to record commentary as you fly? I don't believe the phone acts as a 2-way device now, but if recorded voice could be send to the Phantom camera, how cool would THAT be? Worst cast, If voice recordings could be synced with Phantom recordings for later editing, that's better than nothing, but not simple and not ideal... And please, let us embed the telemetry in the videos (totally removable in post)? I like the idea of a steady ping or beep from the app to notify you that the Phantom is recording. And how about a simple voice to TELL you all of the camera settings and also confirm GPS lock etc... One button press to confirm everything.

That's all I ask (for now...). Lol...

Flyer91 said:
Mal_PV2_Ireland said:
Unfortunately walkera are well known for their customer service, just as bad as dji

Yup ... Chinese is Chinese is Chinese ..... ;)

Found this label on a tool set yesterday.

And DJI should only market/sell Phantom to people who knows that this thing will not fly itself.
I took my Align 450 Heli for a flight yesterday and then I wondered how do you really crash a Phantom but I do agree that parts should be around since R/C is quite a crash prone hobby and even for newbies who claims "I had 23 satellites and was hovering and all of a sudden the earth started to move towards my phantom at an incredible speed". :D

Attachments

• IMG_20140515_153210.jpg
    IMG_20140515_153210.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 432
maybe live video feed that works longer than 2 minutes would be a start

One more addition..
I would like to do software flight changes in the field. Ie, changing yaw gains etc.
At the moment, I have to carry a laptop to check the compass MOD by plugging in usb cable and running the phantom assistant. There is an existing 2 communications via wifi so I can't see the harm in adding the function directly into the DJI app.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj