What if i take off before home point recorded?

Reaction score
So many people saying that A/C will keep the last homepoint recorded intact until the new homepoint recorded, thus causing some flyaway.

Example:
Day-1 i flown my A/C at the "A" city with all normal condition, nothing special.
Day-2 i fly at "B" city few miles away from "A" city in a rush, so i can't wait for the "home point recorded" status, that makes me to take off in ATTI mode.

Suppose RTH triggered in this last flight (regardless failsafe or smart), will the A/C going home to the homepoint of Day-1 ???

If any flightlog data/video/review about this, please be kind to show me.... [emoji4] [emoji4] [emoji4]

While it is possible that the previous home point remains in memory until overwritten by a new one, it really doesn't matter! If you take off before getting the 'Home Point recorded' all clear, you have no idea where you bird may go on a RTH. It might even decide to return to China RTH is a great safety feature that has saved many birds (with both newbie and experienced pilots) and flying before it HP is set is just asking for trouble. How much of a hurry do you have to be in to deliberately take such risks?

While it is possible that the previous home point remains in memory until overwritten by a new one, it really doesn't matter! If you take off before getting the 'Home Point recorded' all clear, you have no idea where you bird may go on a RTH. It might even decide to return to China RTH is a great safety feature that has saved many birds (with both newbie and experienced pilots) and flying before it HP is set is just asking for trouble. How much of a hurry do you have to be in to deliberately take such risks?
In some filming purpose which beyond my arrangement. say some fireworks show which only last for less than a minute, and i have no idea when it would be started by the event organizer, and that makes me looks like person in the duel ready to take the gun, aim, and shot at the right moment (without wasting my battery charge). that's only one example. Some of my video recording job is beyond my command.

Do you have any data showing the homepoint memory before "home point recorded" status?

There have been several ocasions were I had to take off with no home point. Sometimes you just need too.

Here's how it works. The UAV needs GPS to record a HP. If you take off with no HP, you can't RTH unless you have a HP AND GPS. If you have GPS, you have a HP:). Get it? As soon as you climb high enough to get a GPS signal, the UAV marks that spot as the HP. If your flying around with no HP, your flying without GPS and therefore RTH will not work.

Last edited:
Reactions: Helio3000 and sinxa
You're SOOOO busy, you really couldn't wait 10 seconds to record the HP? Right...

Basically, what everyone is saying is don't!
No that's not what everyone is saying.

Sometimes your in a situation, like surrounded in a wooded section with a house you need to shoot. You'll never get GPS on the ground. Would you just give up and go home because you couldn't get a HP before take off?

If you choose a take off point that is clear to the sky straight up and get a HP/GPS lock in that colum, that's the same as taking off with a HP.

Reactions: sinxa
No that's not what everyone is saying.

Sometimes your in a situation, like surrounded in a wooded section with a house you need to shoot. You'll never get GPS on the ground. Would you just give up and go home because you couldn't get a HP before take off?

If you choose a take off point that is clear to the sky straight up and get a HP/GPS lock in that colum, that's the same as taking off with a HP.

exactly, you got my point.... :)

You're SOOOO busy, you really couldn't wait 10 seconds to record the HP? Right...

Basically, what everyone is saying is don't!

How can you be so sure it would take only 10 seconds regardless the situation i have? :v

There have been several ocasions were I had to take off with no home point. Sometimes you just need too.

Here's how it works. The UAV needs GPS to record a HP. If you take off with no HP, you can't RTH unless you have a HP AND GPS. If you have GPS, you have a HP:). Get it? As soon as you climb high enough to get a GPS signal, the UAV marks that spot as the HP. If your flying around with no HP, your flying without GPS and therefore RTH will not work.

exactly.... that's what i'm tinking of....

but most people out there believe, that UAV will keep the homepoint coordinates of the previous flight until it gain another new one on the next flight. so they're affraid of not taking the new homepoint because it would lead the UAV to the previous homepoint when RTH initiated regardless the UAV already been restarted. is that make any sense???

So many people saying that A/C will keep the last homepoint recorded intact until the new homepoint recorded, thus causing some flyaway.

Example:
Day-1 i flown my A/C at the "A" city with all normal condition, nothing special.
Day-2 i fly at "B" city few miles away from "A" city in a rush, so i can't wait for the "home point recorded" status, that makes me to take off in ATTI mode.

Suppose RTH triggered in this last flight (regardless failsafe or smart), will the A/C going home to the homepoint of Day-1 ???

If any flightlog data/video/review about this, please be kind to show me.... [emoji4] [emoji4] [emoji4]
You asked the same question on the DJI forum and I will give you the same answer. The home point is lost as soon as the Phantom is turned off so it will never try to return to the Day-1 home point on Day-2 no matter how much of a hurry you are in.

As Helihover has already said, before you have GPS RTH has no way of working even if a previous HP had been remembered and as soon as the Phantom has GPS it will set the new HP at that spot anyway even if you are a fair way from the desired HP.

You asked the same question on the DJI forum and I will give you the same answer. The home point is lost as soon as the Phantom is turned off so it will never try to return to the Day-1 home point on Day-2 no matter how much of a hurry you are in.

As Helihover has already said, before you have GPS RTH has no way of working even if a previous HP had been remembered and as soon as the Phantom has GPS it will set the new HP at that spot anyway even if you are a fair way from the desired HP.

Hahaha... forgive me for being rude and apply same question to the forums.... i wish i'll get answer directly from DJI representatives, so i can tell my friends that i'm not arguing without valid data. Thank you again.... :)

Hahaha... forgive me for being rude and apply same question to the forums.... i wish i'll get answer directly from DJI representatives, so i can tell my friends that i'm not arguing without valid data. Thank you again.... :)

Despite bugs and other unavoidable faults in human designed and constructed items...
Ask yourself why would DJI purposely store such data from flight to flight?
Ask why they would not publish in their documents such information (by now).

You said previously that 'most people out there believe...', Is that 'valid data'?

DJI HAS SAID wait for home point set before each flight, or similar, so that would be an ideal place to point out this 'belief' of last location retention IF it were true.

Isn't that valid data?

Despite bugs and other unavoidable faults in human designed and constructed items...
Ask yourself why would DJI purposely store such data from flight to flight?
Ask why they would not publish in their documents such information (by now).

You said previously that 'most people out there believe...', Is that 'valid data'?

DJI HAS SAID wait for home point set before each flight, or similar, so that would be an ideal place to point out this 'belief' of last location retention IF it were true.

Isn't that valid data?
Yes, you're right.... [emoji4]

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20