What happens when no GPS and no RC transmission?

Reaction score
No gps means atti mode I know that but when both GPS and no RC signal means SOL? I am assuming that no gps and no rc signal but within VPS range it will hover in place when VPS conditions are ideal.

You were basically correct with SOL. No GPS and No RC Signal, anything could happen. It would most likely maintain altitude where it is, but will drift away in most any direction. The same would apply with VPS.

If you're in P-ATTI, it will failsafe/RTH.

If you actually lose satellite reception and are forced into ATTI, it will hover.

Note that P-ATTI ignores the satellites, but only during controlled flight.

No gps means atti mode I know that but when both GPS and no RC signal means SOL? I am assuming that no gps and no rc signal but within VPS range it will hover in place when VPS conditions are ideal.
Before getting too excited about your hypothetical scenario, what makes you think your Phantom would lose GPS?
If your Phantom is up in the air with a good sky view, it won't lose GPS.
You would have to fly in a canyon, a cave or under tree cover etc to lose GPS.

Before getting too excited about your hypothetical scenario, what makes you think your Phantom would lose GPS?
If your Phantom is up in the air with a good sky view, it won't lose GPS.
You would have to fly in a canyon, a cave or under tree cover etc to lose GPS.
Flying between two buildings or descending between buildings. You loss signal and initiates RTH and on its path home losses gps.

Flying between two buildings or descending between buildings. You loss signal and initiates RTH and on its path home losses gps.
So that's flying into a canyon and if you want to do that you will have to be careful.
You certainly wouldn't want to do that unless you can see the Phantom clearly, in which case you should be able to maintain signal.

So that's flying into a canyon and if you want to do that you will have to be careful.
You certainly wouldn't want to do that unless you can see the Phantom clearly, in which case you should be able to maintain signal.
I'd wonder how you got to a position where the RTH path is through a canyon.
I had good GPS signal 10-12 Sat's and flew 50 ft at a height of 3 FT, went crazy and hit my father in-laws truck, upon reviewing my flight records I lost almost all Sat's (Outside in the Mountains, Aprox 2500ft MSL altitude., NO I was NOT in A canyon but UP On A Mountain. Hasn't happened again Yet. Hopefully it Won't.

I had good GPS signal 10-12 Sat's and flew 50 ft at a height of 3 FT, went crazy and hit my father in-laws truck, upon reviewing my flight records I lost almost all Sat's (Outside in the Mountains, Aprox 2500ft MSL altitude., NO I was NOT in A canyon but UP On A Mountain. Hasn't happened again Yet. Hopefully it Won't.
Losing GPS won't make your Phantom act crazy.
It would only stop it's ability to hold position allowing it to drift on the breeze.
Your problem wasn't losing GPS.
Upload your flight data if you want to learn from the experience.
Go to DJI Flight Log Viewer
Follow the instructions there to upload your flight record from your phone or tablet.
Come back and post a link to the report it provides.

If you're in P-ATTI, it will failsafe/RTH.

If you actually lose satellite reception and are forced into ATTI, it will hover.

Note that P-ATTI ignores the satellites, but only during controlled flight.

In the recent case of a Mavic (which should behave the same) that switched to ATTI due to yaw errors and then lost RC connection, it was clear that its failsafe response (which was set to RTH) in ATTI was immediate auto land, rather than hover (drift). That should presumably be the same failsafe response if the ATTI mode was caused by lack of GPS.

Here is the flight record, Went from 12 sat's to 8 , said weak GPS? I was flying between a ATV and a pickup truck 8 FT between them.

Attachments

• DJIFlightRecord_2017-11-03_[15-22-48].txt
    75.4 KB · Views: 262
Here is the flight record, Went from 12 sat's to 8 , said weak GPS? I was flying between a ATV and a pickup truck 8 FT between them.

It did not lose GPS lock and remained in P-GPS mode for the entire flight, even though it was down to 6 satellites right at the end. This was its track, in meters north and east. It was traveling east to west. Where did it go crazy?

2017-11-03_15-22-48_Standard_01.png

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl