What happens if you interrupt a battery firmware update?

Reaction score
I just updated firmware on controller to 1.8 and FW on P3 to 1.10
Had to update my Go recently after it got corrupted.
I assumed the battery in the bird while doing the FW update would have been updated at the same time.
But I pulled it to update a second battery, got yellow flashing rear lights - and no camera Status light change (stayed green) for over 10 min.
Powered down then put the first battery back.
Powered up and All lights are solid red. Status and lights on all 4 arms. Does not sound normal.
Did I mess up the battery???

I assumed the battery in the bird while doing the FW update would have been updated at the same time.
That's correct.

I pulled it to update a second battery, got yellow flashing rear lights - and no camera Status light change (stayed green) for over 10 min
That means the battery did not need to be updated. The firmware will start installing as soon as the Phantom is powered on if the battery needs to be updated.

Did I mess up the battery???
On your first battery? Since it's updated along with the Phantom, all should be well if the Phantom firmware updated.

Thats what I thought - but now I turn it on and all lights - on arms and status light are solid red and it makes an uninterrupted sound, not the DDDDD it usually does when processing something.
I still have the RC off. Maybe thats all?
I was afraid to turn it back on so I wouldn't mess up the FW update on battery.

What happens when you switch batteries?

That wasn't it. Turned RC on & had a big Battery Error warning.
Had a Wrench not that Firmware update on battery failed & to "Try again following instructions carefully"

I'm pretty sure the first time I did the Controller first, then AC with controller off all was well.
Got the Success text on card after.
All this happened after putting in a second battery.
Now BOTH batteries are behaving the same way. My two newest batteries too!

I'm pretty sure the first time I did the Controller first, then AC with controller off all was well.
The remote controller firmware should never be installed first.

Try deleting all files on your memory card, drop the BIN in the root, and start up your Phantom.

I did. What I'm doing now. Again.

And I did the remote separately from the Go app with AC off.
Then did the AC with controller off. Don't see how that would affect it.
And had a successful update initially.

This is interesting. And disturbing. From Txt file on SD card:
Shows the last time I started up - 1/27/17 with v 1.9.006 FW

Then todays update to v1.10.009 - Success
Then a couple more starts,and THEN - now that I'm getting Battery ERROR and solid red lights - say the FW update Failed. "Reboot & try again.

========== 2017.01.27 14:28:36 =====================
Packet: P3X_FW_V01.09.0060.bin
Result: Abort.
The firmware on the SD card is identical to or older than the current firmware on the aircraft.

========== 2014.01.01 00:00:11 remo-con disconnect======
Packet: P3X_FW_V01.10.0090.bin
Upgrading ...
Result: Success.

The firmware on the SD card is identical to or older than the current firmware on the aircraft.

========== 2017.03.16 12:01:40 =====================

========== 2017.03.16 12:03:47 =====================

Result: Failed.
Reboot the aircraft and try to upgrade the firmware again.

Result: Failed.
Reboot the aircraft and try to upgrade the firmware again.

So I am charging a couple of batteries , deleted files from card & copied the FW .bin file again, & will try again. But I am worried that somehow the FW update has bricked my drone.....

Just put the first battery in my 2nd P3P - still with old FW- and all seems normal except its telling me I should update the FW...... Ha!
So, not the batteries...

Online with DJI Chat support now. We'll see if they know anything...

You don't need the RC to update the AC or battery firmware.
I think the last firmware that included an update for the battery was before Christmas. So if you've applied a FW update sometime after Christmas and applied to all your batteries, and you show you applied an update 1/27, then they already have the latest update.

Thanks Dan- but I hadn't updated for a year or so - on purpose. I was on fW v1.09.0060 - and happy for a long time. But last month on a mild day I went out to fly and got these NFZ's in places I shouldn't and there was NOTHING posted anywhere about and TFRs. Anyway, finally tried it on my phone rather that the iPad, and TaDah! clear skies and flying. My Go app on the iPad was corrupted.

Had to delete and reload - of course the newest version. But I figured it was time.
And I am studying for my Part 107 - which states that in order to be legal for commercial operations you have to have all your equipment up to date as per MFG. In other words, must run the latest Firmware & software. If I had a crash & caused damage or injury, the FAA will look at EVERYTHING to see if I am complying. And Ah Ha! - You didn't have the Latest Firmware! - You Are at Fault!

So, I decided to finally update the FW on one of my P3Ps to get current.
And wasted most of this day in a very frustrating way.
I was on a Chat support with DJI for LOOONG time and we tried to update multiple times. - according to the log he says the P3 is not accepting the update - even though it did on my first try, and the .txt file says so - Success! But as soon as I put in the next battery things went to hell.

Even had a friend with Windows OS download the file & put it on dropbox for me already unzipped - in case the Mac OS was corrupting it. But that didn't work either.
BUT------ UPDATE...... as i was about to box it up to send off to DJI repair, I did another round of YouTube searches and found some vids about Downgrading or Resetting the Firmware update.

On a whim I deleted the new v1.10 .bin file off the card & put it in the P3 with the empty card. Lo and Behold, it fired up , blinked green a few times, then a steady green.
Holy Crap Batman....!
So if pulled the card, put on the old .bin for v1.09.0060 and powered up started up & seemed ok, but when I read the .txt file it says "This Firmware version does not support downgrading" or similar.

But I saw this vid: Force Reinstall Phantom 3 Firmware
And I did it - put a tiny screwdriver in the RC Link button hole and pressed while powering up the battery. And for the past 1/2 hour it seems like its doing the FW install thing. Although 33 min is a bit longer than usual - but its not frozen solid red light or solid whine sound. So I am hopeful.

More to follow......

Reactions: Phil56
Well. I am well and truly puzzled. It did not downgrade. But when I put a new empty card in the P3, it powered up normally. Status goes green. Camera works. Props start up just fine.
And in the Go software in the About section it does show that I am on v1.10.009, and the Go & RC are up to date now as well.

I put the bird out on the deck in the cold to cool down so I can do an IMU calibration. Then - probably tomorrow as it's getting late - will do a Compass calibrate and cautiously try to fly.....
I am concerned about my 7 other batteries. Tu update the battery you usually leave the .bin file on the card & let it update each battery. But I now know if I try to do that, I'll get the frozen red lights and Battery error.
Not quite sure what to do about that.
I do hope I don't have to send it in.......

Well. I am well and truly puzzled. It did not downgrade. But when I put a new empty card in the P3, it powered up normally. Status goes green. Camera works. Props start up just fine.
And in the Go software in the About section it does show that I am on v1.10.009, and the Go & RC are up to date now as well.

I put the bird out on the deck in the cold to cool down so I can do an IMU calibration. Then - probably tomorrow as it's getting late - will do a Compass calibrate and cautiously try to fly.....
I am concerned about my 7 other batteries. Tu update the battery you usually leave the .bin file on the card & let it update each battery. But I now know if I try to do that, I'll get the frozen red lights and Battery error.
Not quite sure what to do about that.
I do hope I don't have to send it in.......
Were you trying to downgrade from 1.10 to 1.9 by using the force reinstall process? If so, maybe you didn't realize that the force reinstall method works to do just that - force a reinstall of the same version that is already installed on your P3. For instance, if you had 1.10 already installed on your P3 it would normally not go through the update process if you had 1.10 on the SD card. However, if you use the force reinstall process, you could get the update process to execute once again and reinstall 1.10. Does that make sense?

I'm sure you must know that 1.10 does not allow a roll back to 1.9 by using official methods. That being said, there are unofficial methods very widely discussed here on the forum if you were wanting to downgrade from 1.10 to 1.9. It seems very easy and straight forward. Also, you can always just try the force reinstall process to reflash 1.10 again to see if it helps any.

A quick question. Are your two newest batteries (the trouble batteries) OEM or third party?

Last edited:
Thanks Oso. Yeah I didn't quite get that about the reinstall.
But for the moment now that the bird apparently does in fact have v1.10, and as long as I don't have the .bin file on the card, things seem to operate normally. Won't know until tomorrow when I get a chance to actually fly.
I may put a 500' limit on the range at first in case it wants to fly away. If seems stable I'll expand it more. Then eventually take off the range max limit.

All my batteries are OEM.
And according to the status menu on both P3Ps say "Normal" with both firmwares I think that they are not the problem.
I did downgrade the RC back to v1.6 just because of all I've read about the video transmission and range problems.
Going to see if it works keeping the RC there and the FW 1.10 on the bird. Fingers crossed.
Any idea if there are issues if I don't update the other batteries?

Is it necessary for the .bin file to be on the card to update the batteries?

Yes.

What could happen if the bird is on 1.10 and batteries are not up to date?

I don't know. I always update the battery firmware when the DJI GO app reports the firmware needs to be updated.

I do too - normally. But after the v1.10 update if I leave the .bin file on the card now I get a frozen drone and a "Failed" update text file.
Yet if I take the .bin file off the card things seem normal- and according to the Go>About tab it is showing v1.10 firmware installed.

So how can I update the batteries?
Anyway hopefully I'll do a test flight later today to see if it's working or not. Makes me nervous though.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20