what happens if 1 of 4 motors fails in mid flight?

Reaction score
Just wandering what would happen if one of the 3 engines fale in mid flight or one of the wings flighs off during flight.. would the flight board try to balance the remaing 3 motors to keep it flying or due to total lack of stability it would just fall off like a brick?

lfaitas said:
Just wandering what would happen if one of the 3 engines fale in mid flight or one of the wings flighs off during flight.. would the flight board try to balance the remaing 3 motors to keep it flying or due to total lack of stability it would just fall off like a brick?
You will CRASH. :shock:

lfaitas said:

The other three motors will TRY to compensate for it. Depending on wind direction and strength, they may even allow a semi-safe landing. On this video, my right back motor goes out. Notice how it tries to correct just before it hits the ground saving my quad from a crunch.

By the way, this was a MOTOR failure. ESC was fine. (Many people are quick to blame the ESC)

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cyZYxv3PSOo[/youtube]

Looks like there was an intermittent problem in that video that allowed the problem motor to work some of the time.
When the motor cut in, the Phantom recovered its attitude.
But if you lose a motor or prop in flight the Phantom will not have enough thrust to keep the Phantom in the air and the flight controller will be unable to deal with the problem.
The Phantom will drop on the side of the problem and fall to the earth.

I would agree with Meta on this being an intermittent motor failure. The evidence is in the video as one corner drops, then recovers then drops again. I would say count yourself lucky you got it back. I think for motor failure backup you need to have at least 6 motors but I will leave that to the engineers out there.

Mopar Bob said:
I would agree with Meta on this being an intermittent motor failure. The evidence is in the video as one corner drops, then recovers then drops again. I would say count yourself lucky you got it back. I think for motor failure backup you need to have at least 6 motors but I will leave that to the engineers out there.
My hex lost one prop at 100 ft and I was able to make a mostly under control landing.

Meta4 said:
Looks like there was an intermittent problem in that video that allowed the problem motor to work some of the time.
But if you lose a motor or prop in flight the Phantom will not have enough thrust to keep the Phantom in the air and the flight controller will be unable to deal with the problem.

100% agree.

Btw, I posted this not long ago. (Has video)
viewtopic.php?f=27&t=34778&p=320611&hilit=ONE+MOTOR+FAIL+PROTECTION#p320611

SteveMann said:
Mopar Bob said:
My hex lost one prop at 100 ft and I was able to make a mostly under control landing.

Not surprising with a hex.

Newer controllers can now sense this, shut off the opposite motor, and recover as it is now essentially a quad.

Actually mine tumbled when one motor burned up in flight. I was at 178 feet looking straight at it when the poo hit the fan. The spiral of death. I was lucky, it glanced off a tree and hit in almost full inverted position in soft grass. Replaced the bad motor (blistered windings) and as a precaution replaced the esc and one prop. Very lucky and I know it. Camera and gimbal survived in perfect condition. So if you crash, make sure you are inverted when it hits.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj