What feature will make you upgrade to P4 ?

Reaction score
Hey guys and gals.

I just purchased P3 pro 3 days ago and just found out that on march 1 DJI will announce P4 with tentative ship dates at the end if march.
Since i have 45 days to return it i was thinking about what will it take for me.

And i think 2 important features that i would like are:

1) Obstacle avoidance
2) Follow me feature without having the remote on you.

Longer flight time is nice, but 25 min or 30 min is not a big deal for me.

So how about the rest of you?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: john griffin
just found out that on march 1 DJI will announce P4 with tentative ship dates at the end if march
Who is your source? (I'm just curious.)

Reactions: dirtybum
Who is your source? (I'm just curious.)

Nothing in stone, just various websites stating DJI will have a conference in NYC on march 1.

Plus they officially dropped prices for the Pro to $999.00 today. Maybe it's a hint that new model is definitely on the way?

Hey guys and gals.

I just purchased P3 pro 3 days ago and just found out that on march 1 DJI will announce P4 with tentative ship dates at the end if march.
Since i have 45 days to return it i was thinking about what will it take for me.

1) Obstacle avoidance

Longer flight time is nice, but 25 min or 30 min is not a big deal for me.

Here are mine..
Phantom 4, what would you like

1) Obstacle avoidance
You don't need a P4 for #2. You can have that right now.

Get an android device. Get Litchi. Install Litchi Leash on another device and give it to your skiier, boat captain, biker, whatever. It will follow the leash device while you remain secluded with your RC elsewhere.

Reactions: MedinaTaylor
You don't need a P4 for #2. You can have that right now.

Get an android device. Get Litchi. Install Litchi Leash on another device and give it to your skiier, boat captain, biker, whatever. It will follow the leash device while you remain secluded with your RC elsewhere.

So i will have to use android tablet and android phone for that?
What if its me by myself going to snowboard or ride on a jet ski?

Update: It looks like Litchi and magic leash is also available on IOS!

Do they function the same way?

Last edited:
I don't know if any other app will do that. AFAIK, Litchi is only on the android platform.

If you want to do that by yourself, go buy a Lily. Throw and go. Right tool for the job I say.

Reactions: Cgland
I don't know if any other app will do that. AFAIK, Litchi is only on the android platform.

If you want to do that by yourself, go buy a Lily. Throw and go. Right tool for the job I say.

I just found litchi AND Litchi leash on IOS.

I may give it a try.
Litchi on IOS is $14.99

And i just purchased Litchi app and will also download it on my Air 2 once i get home.
Hopefully will be able to try it this weekend :)

Here are the features that would make me go for a P4;

1. made of Mithril so weight can be below .55 lbs and exempt from FAA registration
2. Go app that removes 500m radius/5000m distance restrictions from waypoint missions
3. Firmware that offers ability to 'opt out' of forthcoming Geofence program

In other words, I will stick with my P3 so I at least have the option for one of the three.

:)

To be honest I am unlikely to be an early adopter. Features that would impress me to the point of "must have" are:

* Cellular controller link.
* Built-in cellular tracking solution similar to Flytrex.
* High-quality digital zoom.
* 30+ minute flight time.

Reactions: rulppa and Prowler
I just found litchi AND Litchi leash on IOS.

I may give it a try.
Litchi on IOS is $14.99

Very cool! They must have released it on iOS now. When I first got onto it, android was the only supported platform AFAIK. Cool that they have it on both now.

Wait until you try the ground station (waypoint planning without having to actually fly it first) and the pano mode. I have very limited time in GO. All my flying is done in litchi.

Very cool! They must have released it on iOS now. When I first got onto it, android was the only supported platform AFAIK. Cool that they have it on both now.

Wait until you try the ground station (waypoint planning without having to actually fly it first) and the pano mode. I have very limited time in GO. All my flying is done in litchi.

Nice, thanks for suggesting it ! Lol

Is Litchi reliable?
Since i have my P3 for only 3 days i'm a little paranoid that it will fly away.

To be honest I am unlikely to be an early adopter. Features that would impress me to the point of "must have" are:

* Cellular controller link.
* Built-in cellular tracking solution similar to Flytrex.
* High-quality digital zoom.
* 30+ minute flight time.

I really feel there is no such thing as a high quality digital zoom. I have, to date, never seen one. Optical zoom is where its at. If you want quality, then you need optics to get it.

Reactions: ScottLB and joe21
Nice, thanks for suggesting it ! Lol

Is Litchi reliable?
Since i have my P3 for only 3 days i'm a little paranoid that it will fly away.

Still new myself. 30+ flights. Max distance (bone stock P3P) with litchi is 10,025' from home. Several water flights. Not one issue with Litchi. Never crashed. Never locked up. Never barked at me for being in a NFZ. Can't say ANY of those things about GO. Litchi is the only app I fly with regularly.

With optical you have additional weight of the optics & larger gimbal to handle the load. Then you have the cost of replacement in a crash. Digital with the right sensor makes more sense as far as complexity, weight, crashworthiness, & cost.. A few years ago Nokia released a Lumia cell phone with a 41 megapixel sensor. That's over 3x the pixels of sensor in a Phantom 3. Something like this should offer ~3x digital zoom at comparable quality to the current camera.

I really feel there is no such thing as a high quality digital zoom. I have, to date, never seen one. Optical zoom is where its at. If you want quality, then you need optics to get it.

With optical you have additional weight of the optics & larger gimbal to handle the load. Then you have the cost of replacement in a crash. Digital with the right sensor makes more sense as far as complexity, weight, crashworthiness, & cost.. A few years ago Nokia released a Lumia cell phone with a 41 megapixel sensor. That's over 3x the pixels of sensor in a Phantom 3. Something like this should offer ~3x digital zoom at comparable quality to the current camera.

You don't get something for nothing. Even with digital zoom. With prime lenses (non-zoom), you trade flexibility for clearer optics and greater light gathering. With optical zoom, you trade weight, clarity, light gathering and price for quality. For digital zoom, you trade quality for lack of weight and reduced price.

Digital zoom is virtually worthless. Simply crop in premiere or other post processing app. You would get far better results as its interpolation routines are far more powerful than anything DJI could throw on that tiny camera board.

Reactions: aenbacka and eBird
To be honest this is my first bird. I already have the P3P. At this point I would not upgrade for any follow-me function or obstacle avoidance. It would be great I guess for those that fly where there are .... obstacles... I live in the desert not many obsticles and the obstacles I would encounter telephone wires etc... I doubt a first generation avoidance system would be able to detect anyway. I have no desire for digital zoom. NONE.. I film in 4K and if i need to pull in on a shot a can do that in post. To be honest, if there was enough desire for digital zoom they could probably do that in the app. It is possible because.... it is digital not optical. Now optical zoom totally different story. Larger sensor, that would be good, higher bitrate for onboard recordings that would be good. Higher framerate for 4K that would be good. I'm a video freak so real improvement in the Cam would get me interested but probably not enough to buy a new bird 2 months after buying the P3P.

Reactions: Cgland

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik