What exactly does each antenna mod do?

Reaction score
I have a p2v with an re700 and I am getting pretty good distance but I love to mod... so with said

I see all these cheap antenna mods and not really certain what they do? except extend range... (of exactly what?)

1 range extender with 1 antenna
2 range extender with 2 antenna
3 antenna switched out on the controller (transmitter)
4 1 antenna adapted to the drone itself
5 2 antenna adapted to the drone.
6 antenna adapted to the camera

I would like to know the purpose of each mod...
and if 1 vs 2 antenna is better or nessacary, or if for instance you MUST put 2 antenna on the extender?
Why mod the controller when you can mod the extender or do they operate independtly?
why mod the antenna on the drone itself if you already do the other?

I have no idea what I want to achieve but if I know what each mod does seperately perhaps I can decide...

Not seeking how to... or engineering data... just basics... this does this.

Thanx everyone in advance.

-=Fred=-

Their is a section here on antenna mods, valuable info. Myself I have tried several mods only with my remote and Wi-Fi with their antennas. I have tried the omni directional and directional types. After playing with several types the most improvement I have found so far is with the DBS itelite antenna. It comes ready built with both the RC and Wi-Fi connections. Included in the package are are the cables needed too. It crippled the distance of the stock RC. Haven't moded the quad and don't plan to.. getting all the distance I need. Can't see her after 2235 ft out and all works past that. So I'd say I'm good to go.

I would like to know the purpose of each mod...

and if 1 vs 2 antenna is better or nessacary, or if for instance you MUST put 2 antenna on the extender?

Why mod the controller when you can mod the extender or do they operate independtly?

why mod the antenna on the drone itself if you already do the other?

I have no idea what I want to achieve but if I know what each mod does seperately perhaps I can decide...

Sounds like you're kinda new at this.

The controller transmits at 5.8 ghz and that's what controls your craft.

The extender uses the 2.4 Ghz range and has two transceivers in it. It is what communicates with the wifi module on the Vision's camera, and each transceiver is connected to an antenna. The video that is transmitted from the Vision is received by the extender. But it has two transmitters/receivers and it automatically switches from one to the other depending on where it finds the best signal. So that is why you would mod two antennas on the RE 700. You don't have to, but it would be silly not to.

The controller operates independently of the RE 700 extender. The controller transmits in a different freq and does not receive.

Your decision on whether to modify the craft antennas depends on your goals, and also on what antenna strategy you adopt (which might depend on the environment you're flying in). The two schools of thought are the FPVLR and the ITELITE antenna systems, although the WINDSURFER is also getting a lot of attention lately. Read about them in the antenna mod thread in the P2V+ subforum.

Hope this helps.

Reactions: dimmyr and DirtinLa
After reading your response, which helped allot BTW. So if the re700 has dual antennas and it MAY pickup one or the other, I can cheap out only enhance one which will always be picked up over the other, correct?

Then I can take the second antenna and do the antenna mod to my controller/transmitter....

So if I'm understanding you correctly one will then give me camera distance and the other will give me craft distance?

As always, thanx in advnace

-=Fred=-

It is difficult to understand your question.

It is generally not wise to swap out 2.4 Ghz antennas for 5.8 Ghz antennas and vice versa. It might work, but it won't work as well as it should.

It's not wise to "cheap out" either.

With one modded antenna on the RE700, and one stock antenna on the RE700, the RE700 should favor the antenna that is getting the best signal, and that should be the modded antenna. But it also switches periodically as your craft is in the air, because it wants to find the best signal. So it will switch for a couple seconds, find a poor signal, then switch back. This may give you stuttering video. Most of the time the video will be okay, but it may stutter once or twice a minute as it switches. Therefore, I suggest modding both antennas.

You should base your decision on modding the control (5.8 Ghz) antenna on what you learn after reading about the two setups in the other forum mentioned in my previous post.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20