What Drawbacks for Tablets / Phones Without GPS

Reaction score
I've searched the forums and am still just a bit confused about what the real drawbacks are if you use a tablet (or phone) that doesn't have GPS (and doesn't have a cellular connection) with a P3 Advanced.

My understanding is that you won't have maps unless you cache the maps prior to your flight.

Assuming one does cache the maps ahead of time, what drawbacks should one expect.

I think my BIGGEST concern would be resetting the home point on the fly. Would I be able to reset the home point to the CONTROLLER'S position?

Or would I have to fly the bird to where I want the NEW home point to be, set it to the AC's position, and then just walk over to that area?

Thanks in advance.

what drawbacks should one expect
You will not be able to reset the home point to your current location or be able to use the Follow Me flight mode.

Would I be able to reset the home point to the CONTROLLER'S position?
No. You'll only be able to reset the home point to the Phantom's current location.

Reactions: Just Mark
You will not be able to reset the home point to your current location or be able to use the Follow Me flight mode.

No. You'll only be able to reset the home point to the Phantom's current location.
Thank you!

But aside from those two things (no Follow Me mode, no re-setting home point to the Remote Controller's location) are there any things that might affect SAFETY of the flight? (Because... safety first... and I don't want to hurt anybody).

By that, I mean anything LIKELY to happen? If the P3A loses GPS for example (and I don't know how likely that is).

And I plan on flying VERY CONSERVATIVELY (always maintain VLOS and not exceeding about 150 feet horizontal distance (I know, I know... very boring).

But aside from those two things (no Follow Me mode, no re-setting home point to the Remote Controller's location) are there any things that might affect SAFETY of the flight?
No. GPS on the mobile device just adds a few features that most people are probably not using often.

Reactions: Just Mark
I've searched the forums and am still just a bit confused about what the real drawbacks are if you use a tablet (or phone) that doesn't have GPS (and doesn't have a cellular connection) with a P3 Advanced.

My understanding is that you won't have maps unless you cache the maps prior to your flight.

Assuming one does cache the maps ahead of time, what drawbacks should one expect.

I think my BIGGEST concern would be resetting the home point on the fly. Would I be able to reset the home point to the CONTROLLER'S position?

Or would I have to fly the bird to where I want the NEW home point to be, set it to the AC's position, and then just walk over to that area?

Thanks in advance.
If you are interested, click here for more info to supplement what msinger has already highlighted.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj