What does this mean? (and how can I avoid it)

Reaction score
I fly in P mode. The past couple times I've flown, when the bird is in the air (not far from me)....
First flight (may 1):
1st - alt - 147ft, distance - 1147ft
2nd - alt - 156ft, distance - 1190ft
3rd - alt - 293ft, distance - 1151ft
4th - alt - 292ft, distance - 1115ft
5th - alt - 292ft, distance - 1068ft
Second flight (may 4):
1st - alt - 163ft, distance - 738ft

I would get a message in the Go app. In the top middle part of the screen (where it says 'safe to fly GPS mode....or something like that. And has the green background), it would change to red and say something like...'Change out of P mode, GPS not enabled'....I don't remember exactly but it was something like that. I then uploaded my flight logs to Healthy Drones (that is the reason why I know the altitudes and distances) and at those moments it would say (this is the first one that showed up, I'm not gonna type up each and every one):

flight time: 2m 06s
altitude: 147.6ft
home distance: 1147ft
type: mode
notification: Mode changed to Atti

altitude: 147.6ft
home distance: 1147ft
type: warning
notification: Warning: Satellite Positioning off. Fly with caution

altitude: 148.3ft
home distance: 1146ft
type: mode
notification: mode changed to GPS Atti

May 1st was the first time that it has happened. And it happened a total of 5 times that evening. When I saw it, I immediately brought it back, because I was nervous that I was going to lose it.
I saw it once tonight, and then I brought it back. Also when I saw it happen (on may 1st, I can't remember about tonight), on my screen it looked like it was wobbly (or atleast the camera/gimbal was), and it seemed like it was losing control and was going to go down.

How can I fix this so it won't happen again?

Thanks

Looks like you may be loosing GPS lock on the available satellites.

Have you recently upgraded the firmware on the Phantom and not the DJI Go app to match the firmware?

When you see these messages in flight press the button for GPS satellites and read how many satellites have a lock.

The last time I updated the firmware of the phantom was end of January. So I don't have it to the most up to date version. And I did the go app at the same time. So at the end of January both (and all my batteries) were fully up to date. Before may 1st I flew it about 12 different flight in the same, current location. Then all of a sudden I got these and panicked. When I see them, I just want to get it back to me as soon as possible. There isn't really any obstructions. Just trees, but not really bad

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

It happens sometimes depending on what's around you. Like said above, check your satellite lock and do the 32 channel hack because most likely you're getting a lot of outside interference. Flying in atti mode is more difficult but needs to be mastered to bring it home safe when this happens. There are many reasons to not be getting a good satellite lock including buildings, trees, wifi, etc...

It happens sometimes depending on what's around you. Like said above, check your satellite lock and do the 32 channel hack because most likely you're getting a lot of outside interference. Flying in atti mode is more difficult but needs to be mastered to bring it home safe when this happens. There are many reasons to not be getting a good satellite lock including buildings, trees, wifi, etc...

What is the 32 channel hack? So when it happens, it isn't something that I need to worry about then hey? But just get practice at flying in that mode

There is a software hack known as the 32 channel hack that one can install via Itunes on their Iphone or Ipad devices that opens up more channels for reception. The standard in the DJI Go app is 20 channels and this software hack expands that up to 32 channels.

Also, what was mentioned is to learn to fly in Atti Mode so that when the GPS enabled (P Mode) is not reliable and you fret that the quad may fly erratically or somewhere you do not intend. The one can simply flip the toggle switch to the middle position on the controller (A Mode) and the quad will obey every command that is received by the Remote Controller unless totally out of range.

It essentially switches off the GPS positioning ability and gives direct control. Practice (A Mode - Atti) as the drone will fly slightly different when switched into this mode. Practice at the park or in a wide open space to start with in Atti mode.

You can switch into these different modes on the fly and back and forth if you like with no issues.

So it is something that I don't really need to worry about then.
I appreciate your input guys!!

Yes, you need to worry about it because the way that the P3 flies in atti is way different and the bird will drift. In atti you have complete control, it's just like flying a cheap practice drone with no gps position control.
More channels hack

Will that help minimize the chance it comes up?
I'm not familiar with the channels and all. I realize that 32 is more than 20, so does that mean I'll get more access to satellites?

Yes because the higher channels are a lot quieter, you will get a better signal.

Will that help minimize the chance it comes up?
I'm not familiar with the channels and all. I realize that 32 is more than 20, so does that mean I'll get more access to satellites?

No. The hack can only increase video transmission range/quality I believe. I don't even think it increases the overall RC range, and it certainly has no effect on GPS reception.

Reactions: Reed L

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20