What do you use to edit vid/pics?

Reaction score
I have a mid 2011 27" iMac with 4gb ram. Its maxed out even before I open an editor. Hoping that I can add 8gb more. Just curious to see what everyone else is using.

Cool thanks. I do not want to upgrade to a new Mac, but for $100 I can upgrade the ram and hopefully be happy.

I use Camstasia Suite which costs around $250 and downloadable online. It's comprehensive yet very easy. You'll need to undergo some degree of tutorial at first but after 45 minutes or so I had the hang of and was tossing HD video online routinely. Camtasia has wonderful support - quick, accessible and to the point. Hope this helps. Here's a sample of a video produced using P2 with GoPro while on vacation. We took this for a nearby hotel property. http://youtu.be/6flE-_uj91Q

Jps1964 said:
I use Camstasia Suite which costs around $250 and downloadable online. It's comprehensive yet very easy. You'll need to undergo some degree of tutorial at first but after 45 minutes or so I had the hang of and was tossing HD video online routinely. Camtasia has wonderful support - quick, accessible and to the point. Hope this helps. Here's a sample of a video produced using P2 with GoPro while on vacation. We took this for a nearby hotel property. http://youtu.be/6flE-_uj91Q

Thanks for sharing. What computer are you running?

I've recently put together a new PC - Win64, Intel Core i7 4930K 3.40GHZ, 32GB RAM, nVidia GTX 770, Samsung 840 128GB SSD.
Running the Adobe CS6 suite. I've done a fair bit of editing the past month on it and used a fair bit of Phantom 2 + GoPro 3+ footage in some short films I've made - https://vimeo.com/jamesnorden
The editing process is as follows - import GoPro footage into Premiere -> process clip in After Affects -> remove fish eye -> add warp stabilizer if need be -> then back in Premiere I use FilmConvert to colour grade and add film grain. Seems to make for some nice looking images. Even with this powerful PC it still takes a while to process the GoPro stuff though.

Finally upgraded from 4gb to 12. My mac runs lite room and go pro studio much better now. Could still use more memory thou.

2012 Macbook Pro 13" on Yosemite
8GB RAM
2.9GHz Intel i7

Upgraded internal HDD to Samsung Pro 850 500GB SSD
External 128GB Sandisk SSD for Workflow

FCP X (Filters to remove the GoPro fish-eye)
Motion 5
Compressor

Adding ram is one thing, but fast HDDs and a proper workflow make all the difference. I put the SD card in the card reader, import directly to FCP on the internal drive, optimized media, basic colour correction, etc.
I do all my editing in FCP, and send the final version to Compressor for rendering. In Compressor, I have various pre-sets depending on what I'm doing with the video, but they all export to the external drive (USB3 SSD).

On the conventional drives with spinning platters, you can run into head contention - reading from one part of the drive, writing to another, to render the video. Two conventional drives, read from one, write to the other, can make the render process ~30% faster. Changing the drives to solid-state increases performance again. The difference between spinning drives and solid state are night and day. I only use a 2TB external traditional HDD for backups (regularly) as SSD's still have a higher failure rate than their counterparts.

I have an MSI Apache GE60 with i7 processor and GTX850m graphics, plus a single hybrid 1TB drive.It also have 16Gb ram, which helps a lot.
I use CS5.5 and find this is good for up to 4 streams of HD in multicamera mode and will render to HD in real time.

I use Windows Movie Maker on a Dell XP5 in Win 7 with 16GB RAM. I've never had a problem with the video editing. For stills, I'll edit them in Paint. The only tricky thing there is to trim them or shrink/expand them to have the correct h/w ratio or there will be black bands on the video. Basically I had all this software already as standard with the computer. The only software I've paid extra for is Steinberg Wave Lab LE7, which came bundled with my microphone, so I had everything already when I got my Phantom. Of course, this isn't the highest-end setup, but I'm happy with it, for now at least.

I'm a former FCP editor that switched to Premiere. Because I am a creative cloud member now I also get After Effects and Adobe Speedgrade. It's a huge value to get all of these together. However the three of those programs have a bit of a learning curve if your new to all of this. Final Cut X is also good but if you are looking for an all in one solution that is also FREE check out Davinc Resolve Light. https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/produc ... nciresolve

Gopro also has a free video editing app too.
http://shop.gopro.com/softwareandapp/go ... tudio.html

Just edited together my first flight/crash using Premiere & Speedgrade.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vq4yoEEtzs8

Happy flying.

- j

There are lots of options for pics/video. At the consumer level there are some capable apps without all the big features of the expensive pro apps. Adobe has Photoshop Elements for photos and a consumer version of Premiere. Both are fairly inexpensive and have much of the same workflow as the bigger apps just less features. There is an open source free app for photos called Gimp that has much of the functionality of the full version of Photoshop but it is free. I have that installed on non-editing machines.

I make a living editing video and my two favorite apps are Grass Valley Edius and Creative Cloud. For personal work I use Edius as it is fast, easy and very stable. It is one of the main editing apps for broadcast news station. I was a trainer for Edius for a few years and taught a number of TV stations. There is a reason they use it...it's fast if you learn it right. Adobe Creative Cloud is what I use at my day job. It is robust and does pretty much anything. It's not quite as quick and efficient but it does so much and does it well.

These apps are all PC based. I'm not a Mac user but I know on a Mac that FCPX is great if you take the time to break the habits FCP taught you. Once through the learning curve everyone loves it but it takes some relearning. For consumer level editing iMovie is pretty good.

There are boatloads of add on utilities from numerous companies to add functionality and a number of stand alone ones as well that allow you to process clips one at a time. Everything from color grading to stabilization to creating slo motion. Some of them are fairly cheap and some are pro level apps and cost more.

Just a note to those using GoPro Hero 4 Black for 4K video, using the Studio software not only removes fisheye for free but will keep 10 bit necessary for true 4k encode. You can still edit the Cineform footage in FCPX (you will no longer be able to preview video in QuickTime or other players though) but as long as you don't optimize or alter the footage during import you can do coloration in Studio and it will change realtime for all files referenced in FCPX.
As for encoding speed in Studio, I have noticed no difference in time between my beastly hackintosh rig and my 14 Mac mini. In my workflow I use this studio setup and footage is dramatically better.
You will need 2.5GB/min for Cineform converted footage so a 4GB compressed 4k video (roughly 10min) becomes 22-25 GB on drive.

Main editing rig: i5 3570k 16 GB RAM GTX 970 4GB vRAM 2TB of RAID 0 SSD arrays running FCPX
Import: 2014 2.8 i5 8 GB RAM Iris Graphics 1 TB Fusion running GoPro Studio with lots of external storage
Viewing: 50" 4K Seiki and late '13 rMBP

A maxed out iMac 5k. :D

Just started using lightroom 5 and photoshop. I pay the $9 a month. Works great for batch editing pics. Took the props out and fish eye. I get a higher yield of more useful pics now! I am a newbie so still learning. Works great on my 2011 iMac too.

WPSPETE said:
Just started using lightroom 5 and photoshop. I pay the $9 a month. Works great for batch editing pics. Took the props out and fish eye. I get a higher yield of more useful pics now! I am a newbie so still learning. Works great on my 2011 iMac too.
For $70, you can own LR5 instead of renting it.

Yes but I have PS as well. I am happy with it for now. Plus you get the latest and greatest when the new program comes out.

Hi guys,

I am investigating the Adobe world and I am lost!

First, what is the difference between Lightroom and Photoshop? I thought photoshop would do it all...

Then for Premiere (and Photoshop actually): is there a way to pay a one off license fee or everything works in monthly/yearly subscription now?

I have a mini 3 and somewhere on here I caught wind of pinnacle studio! 10 bucks, and it's awesome! Slow mo, music, tons of Video help in the app and easy to learn. I'm no pro by any means but I can cut a movie that is entertaining and clean.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1