What do you think of THIS tracking device?

Reaction score
I am going to attach and test this tomorrow (I need to test to see if the Bluetooth will interfere with the operation of my P2V).

"Stick N Find" stickers are tiny stickers about the size of quarters. The free app allows you to track the Bluetooth enabled stickers when you're within 150 feet. My thinking is that it could be used in finding a lost Phantom.

What do you think?

Attachments

• IMG_6925.JPG
    IMG_6925.JPG
    136.1 KB · Views: 713
The Blutracker is not yet available. Having to choose, I think I'd still stick (no pun intended) with the Stick N Find.

One year battery.
Weighs about a gram.

Between the "Where's my Phantom" feature and this, I think that would do for most cases.

I have some of these. The big misleading thing on them is that it doesn't actually give you direction, just range. And yeah, 45m ain't much.

I use this.Got it for Christmas. Actually works great. First 3 months free, then 8 bucks a month after. Use it for my quad and dirtbike/mountain bike solo riding as well for my wife's peace of mind. Very light.

http://www.pettracker.com/

len, could you post a pic of that next to the Phantom or something for a good size reference? I'm thinking about getting that one, but I need to have a better idea of the relative size. Thanks!

Those bluetooth trackers don't work well as a 'finder', but they work better as a leash.

Why?

Cause bluetooth takes time (and needs strong-ish signal) to reconnect. If you start out pairing with the device and you can push it to 45m before it loses connection, it doesn't work the same if you reverse the process. Putting the item at 45m won't reconnect with your phone because the signal is pitifully weak at that range. You may need to walk closer to 20m or so before your phone reassociates with it.

Moreover, the phone's bluetooth stack is not designed to scan for weak bluetooth signals all the time; so when you set your phone to look for bluetooth device, I don't think it works continuously. Rather it sends 'pings' every 2-3 seconds or so.

MOREOVER.. an item at 45m is most likely already visible with your bare eyes (if it's not hiding behind shrubbery or whatever). But with the (optimistic) actual working range of 30m, you would probably see it first before it beeps.

AND LASTLY.. if you think the audio chirps would be helpful in case it's 'hiding behind rocks' or whatnot... well then, those rocks will be blocking the signal too.

PS: I backed them when they were on Indiegogo. The quality of their software is not good either.

len750... I've also been looking to find a good tracking solution for my Phantom, and this Tagg unit looks to be a pretty good option. Have you flown your Phantom with it attached yet? Any interference issues? Thanks

LeoS said:
Those bluetooth trackers don't work well as a 'finder', but they work better as a leash.

Why?

Cause bluetooth takes time (and needs strong-ish signal) to reconnect. If you start out pairing with the device and you can push it to 45m before it loses connection, it doesn't work the same if you reverse the process. Putting the item at 45m won't reconnect with your phone because the signal is pitifully weak at that range. You may need to walk closer to 20m or so before your phone reassociates with it.

Moreover, the phone's bluetooth stack is not designed to scan for weak bluetooth signals all the time; so when you set your phone to look for bluetooth device, I don't think it works continuously. Rather it sends 'pings' every 2-3 seconds or so.

MOREOVER.. an item at 45m is most likely already visible with your bare eyes (if it's not hiding behind shrubbery or whatever). But with the (optimistic) actual working range of 30m, you would probably see it first before it beeps.

AND LASTLY.. if you think the audio chirps would be helpful in case it's 'hiding behind rocks' or whatnot... well then, those rocks will be blocking the signal too.

PS: I backed them when they were on Indiegogo. The quality of their software is not good either.
First, It's not bluetooth. It's real GPS.
Second, It has tracking and find funtions. You could, and should put this on your kids if you're a nervous type.
This could also go on (as mine is) on my Polaris Razor when I leave the machine and go for a hike. If it's missing, I'll find it. Even TRACK it.
Sometimes It's a pain though because it will track every 3 minutes which can load up you're texts and or emails it continues to send you.

Jebus said:
len750... I've also been looking to find a good tracking solution for my Phantom, and this Tagg unit looks to be a pretty good option. Have you flown your Phantom with it attached yet? Any interference issues? Thanks

Flown dozens of times. Just did again twice 15 minutes ago.
Zero interference.

OI Photography said:
len, could you post a pic of that next to the Phantom or something for a good size reference? I'm thinking about getting that one, but I need to have a better idea of the relative size. Thanks!
OK...dumb question. How do I upload photos? They are already on computer.

len750 said:
Jebus said:

Flown dozens of times. Just did again twice 15 minutes ago.
Zero interference.

Good to know. Thanks. I think I'll be ordering myself one of these - as it looks to be one of the best options I've seen so far.

len750 said:
OK...dumb question. How do I upload photos? They are already on computer.

Unfortunately this site doesn't have direct uploads for pics...you'll have to upload to a hosting site (such as imgur.com), which will then provide you with a link to post here that shows the pic.

There is an option to upload directly to the site. When you're on the 'Post Reply' page, below the text entry window, you'll see the 'Options' tab with 5 check boxes. If you look closely, right next to the 'Options' tab is a 'Upload attachment' tab. Click that, click the 'Browse' button, select the file on your computer and click the 'Add the file' button. Once it's uploaded, it gives you the option to 'Place inline' if you want to insert it directly into your post.

Rubber band is temporary. Until I can find something better. Of course I could just track it!

Attachments

• GetAttachment4.jpg
    GetAttachment4.jpg
    9.8 KB · Views: 309
  • GetAttachment3.jpg
    GetAttachment3.jpg
    8.1 KB · Views: 318
  • GetAttachment.jpg
    GetAttachment.jpg
    6.1 KB · Views: 318
Just a thought... isn't the Phantom's internal GPS mounted on the top shell - right below where you have your tracker mounted? Just wondering if putting it elsewhere would be better as far as interefence or whatnot.

Jebus said:
Just a thought... isn't the Phantom's internal GPS mounted on the top shell - right below where you have your tracker mounted? Just wondering if putting it elsewhere would be better as far as interefence or whatnot.
Never thought of that. Good question. I've not had to use return home function yet so would'nt know if it interferes.

len750 said:
First, It's not bluetooth. It's real GPS.
Second, It has tracking and find funtions. You could, and should put this on your kids if you're a nervous type.
This could also go on (as mine is) on my Polaris Razor when I leave the machine and go for a hike. If it's missing, I'll find it. Even TRACK it.
Sometimes It's a pain though because it will track every 3 minutes which can load up you're texts and or emails it continues to send you.

First.. this is Bob's thread about bluetooth tracker...
(You might want to join the other threads about GPS trackers, I think the tagg has already been mentioned on those too.)

Second.. if you actually read my post, I was quoting some specific numbers (45m, etc) that should've clued you in I wasn't talking about your particular product.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrl