What do I need to do to do this stupid registration

What's the steps? Where do I go? How much does it cost?
1. You need some patience
2. You have to wait for the FAA/DOT to work out what they are going to do and how they are going to achieve it
3. In good time the FAA/DOT will announce what they come up with.
Until then no-one has a clue and everyone is just guessing.

There is no registration. You will know when it it's time to register, they will let you know. Until then go fly & have fun.

Reactions: dirkclod
Thanks for the reply I'm a little worried on cost stuff like that. I'm hearing rumors of like 1500 but like you said it's all guessing and speculations

The rumor I heard was $5. There is no way will cost $1500. It will have to be affordable for the masses. It won't be much, maybe even free. Time will tell.

Reactions: dirkclod
There is no registration. You will know when it it's time to register, they will let you know. Until then go fly & have fun.

Well, yea, there is registration, but it's not required.. yet...or maybe never... who knows... Unless you think you're going to file for a 333 Exemption, then you don't need to register unless the FAA kicks it in, or unless you want your quad to look cool with an N Number on it... (just kidding of course...)

The fee is $5, unless you want to choose your own N Number, then it's $10.

Go here for more info...

FAA Register an Aircraft

And as TJ said, just fly and have fun... You don't realize how quick you get hooked... I'm 4 months in as a P2 Non Vision owner, and I'm already ordering parts to build my own quad... :)

Well, yea, there is registration, but it's not required.. yet...or maybe never... who knows... Unless you think you're going to file for a 333 Exemption, then you don't need to register unless the FAA kicks it in, or unless you want your quad to look cool with an N Number on it... (just kidding of course...)

Go here for more info...

FAA Register an Aircraft

And as TJ said, just fly and have fun... You don't realize how quick you get hooked... I'm 4 months in as a P2 Non Vision owner, and I'm already ordering parts to build my own quad... :)
He never said anything about commercial use so no, there is no hobby registration, UAV registration is only required if you plan to do commercial work.

Most new questions posted about registration with no commercial mention are reacting to the recent FAA/DOT registration propose. Make it clear or people will see your post and be confused. ;)

That's what I said... or meant to say... I think I typed my reply messed up, after re-reading it. I should have said:

"Unless you think you're going to file for a 333 Exemption. You don't need..."

Sorry about that... I wanted to say that you should get it if you're going to fly commercially, should have said it that way to begin with. My bad....

I'm the one that's confused I guess...:confused:

Reactions: BigAl07
LOL. It happens to the best of us. :)
I only said so as there have been several post asking the same question across all the sister sites so it is causing confusion to some.

LOL. It happens to the best of us. :)

So what's my excuse then??? HA!

Yea, it's too confusing already... then the FAA is going to rush to get something put together, and it's going to be even MORE confusing.... ugh...

So what's my excuse then??? HA!

Yea, it's too confusing already... then the FAA is going to rush to get something put together, and it's going to be even MORE confusing.... ugh...

Go here for more info...

FAA Register an Aircraft

I'm flying as a municipal government and I'm in the process of getting my COA (certificate of authorization) from the FAA. I've already received my 'N' number for my Phantom 3 Pro and I'm awaiting the final documents. I shutter to think of what the legal fees have been/will be to finish the process. Not to mention the pilots ground school for me and my flying staff, our pilots exams, flight physicals, etc. All to fly a quad no larger than a dinner plate to inspect some ditch lines out in the fields.

If you don't have to do it, don't. As TJ said, "just fly and have fun!"

I'm flying as a municipal government and I'm in the process of getting my COA (certificate of authorization) from the FAA. I've already received my 'N' number for my Phantom 3 Pro and I'm awaiting the final documents. I shutter to think of what the legal fees have been/will be to finish the process. Not to mention the pilots ground school for me and my flying staff, our pilots exams, flight physicals, etc. All to fly a quad no larger than a dinner plate to inspect some ditch lines out in the fields.

If you don't have to do it, don't. As TJ said, "just fly and have fun!"

So I too am in a Municipal government and would like to get a COA. Where does one start this wonderful process?

So I too am in a Municipal government and would like to get a COA. Where does one start this wonderful process?
If you are flying as a municipal government then you currently need to get a COA (Certificate of Authorization) from the FAA. The $5 registration is for hobby/personal use only. The way to get started is to go to: Certificates of Waiver or Authorization (COA)
The information is all there. You may consider waiting until later in the year... June/July as the new FAA rules may be out by then. I'm not sure how those changes will impact those of us that currently need the COA. Good luck.

Just another thought... one of the reasons that we went through this process is we are in the public eye and any flight we do will be open to scrutiny. As you well know, the public has free access to our Council and can make any claims the wish, true or not. i.e. "spying on us", "tracking everything we do in our back yard", etc. Even if these are not true, (as if we had the time or desire to look in someone's back yard) (We are a Public Works organization and are inspecting ditch lines and ponds) our procedures will come into question, and if we are not 100% legal, then we will be called to account and our integrity will be questioned... thereby, somehow, giving credence to the claims being presented. The second issue is insurance. In order to be covered by our insurance, we need to have each flight meet all current standards. Hopefully the rule changes will help with this difficult and often ridiculous requirements.

I sent an earlier post that had the COA website as the place to start, here it is again in case it doesn't show up: Certificates of Waiver or Authorization (COA)

Just another thought... one of the reasons that we went through this process is we are in the public eye and any flight we do will be open to scrutiny. As you well know, the public has free access to our Council and can make any claims the wish, true or not. i.e. "spying on us", "tracking everything we do in our back yard", etc. Even if these are not true, (as if we had the time or desire to look in someone's back yard) (We are a Public Works organization and are inspecting ditch lines and ponds) our procedures will come into question, and if we are not 100% legal, then we will be called to account and our integrity will be questioned... thereby, somehow, giving credence to the claims being presented. The second issue is insurance. In order to be covered by our insurance, we need to have each flight meet all current standards. Hopefully the rule changes will help with this difficult and often ridiculous requirements.

I sent an earlier post that had the COA website as the place to start, here it is again in case it doesn't show up: Certificates of Waiver or Authorization (COA)

Thanks I got it and started the process. I am beginning to think this maybe harder than it needs to be. Any idea if the FAA is going loosen up these restrictions?

I've heard that June/July, they plan to announce their planned update. The expectations are that they will make some major changes in the process, but not cancel the whole requirement. More to come as we all find out at the same time.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic