What do about new slow P3A?

Reaction score
As stated in another thread, my new p3a is much slower than My old one in every way. It is so slow it scares me. I am scared to go far for fear of not having enough battery to get back. I think I could climb faster than this one. Can anyone tell me if it's firmware or what it could be. I used to love my p3a but this one doesn't do it for me like before. Help.

Firmware and controller has limited many of us. As for how old your other bird was and getting the new one can make a difference.
When did you purchase your first P3A?

As stated in another thread, my new p3a is much slower than My old one in every way. It is so slow it scares me. I am scared to go far for fear of not having enough battery to get back. I think I could climb faster than this one. Can anyone tell me if it's firmware or what it could be. I used to love my p3a but this one doesn't do it for me like before. Help.
It would be very unusual if your Phantom is flying any slower than all the rest out there.
What numbers are you seeing?

what firmware? what dji go app? have you looked at any of the logs to evaluate the data? I'd use a graphing tool to evaluate what the actual difference is so your claim isn't entirely subjective. You should pull flight logs from both and put them into CSVview (which is a sweet tool budwalker made). if you wanna post it here, i'll take look. CsvView - an app that visualizes .csv files

edit: here's an example of what you could easily get in this tool. You can graph the speed and throttle inputs from the flight log. you find a log where you gave it full throttle and compare the two birds using the data. it also helps ya explore alot of other really cool data points as well.

c67dbI0.png

this shows the values for the aleron, elevator, throttle and rudder. i can see how its performing against each other when given max inputs.

dwkWkzy.png

Last edited:
Upload your flight logs from both aircraft old and new. That is if you have them. You did say your flying a second P3A. The logs would give us a better idea of where your seeing the difference in speed and over all performance.

I got the first p3a in January. It drowned 8 days ago. I've been flying this one for 4 days. This one is pathetically slow.
Saying it's pathetically slow doesn't give anyone anything to go by.
Without actual flight data, no-one will be able to make any meaningful comment.

Still no logs updated, update logs so people who know what to look for can see if anything is not like it should be.

Bought my Advanced in Jan too. Fastest speed I've got in nice calm conditions, around 19c at 50ft, flying in ATTI mode was 37mph. Fastest ascent I've recorded is 11mph. Compare those to your AC.

Please forgive my ignorance. Do you want the flight records like the ones that go to healthy drones or the flight logs from another file? Thanks.

I don't get it. I just uploaded to Healthydrones and my average top speeds were the same as with the old one. I would have swore they would have been considerably slower. I wish I could see the max ascent speed cause I would bet the house that is slower. How do I find that out?

I don't get it. I just uploaded to Healthydrones and my average top speeds were the same as with the old one. I would have swore they would have been considerably slower. I wish I could see the max ascent speed cause I would bet the house that is slower. How do I find that out?
Can you post some logs here ? Or download the csvview tool I mentioned and load the log using it and review.

It's pretty simple to play back any of your flight records in the app and you'll see the VS (vertical speed) just like you do when you are flying.
Or you to https://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/
Follow the instructions to upload your flight record and see all the data.

Reactions: Numone

Upload the same flight log you put on heathlydrones at this link
https://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/
and post the link back here in this thread.....we can then download and convert the file. Only takes 5 seconds.

It's pretty simple to play back any of your flight records in the app and you'll see the VS (vertical speed) just like you do when you are flying.
Or you to https://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/
Follow the instructions to upload your flight record and see all the data.

Ok so I'm crazy. I review the flights in the DJI Go app. I see it is getting 5.1 m/s vertical speed. I just don't understand how it can seem so different than my old one? Could the fact that it seems quieter make it seem slower too? Obviously the statistics show I'm not seeing what I think I am seeing. I just can't figure out why it seems so slow. Thank you for your help and consideration, it's nice to know people are here to help sort things out. I guess I'll just have to get used to this one. Thanks again.

Ok so I'm crazy. I review the flights in the DJI Go app. I see it is getting 5.1 m/s vertical speed.

That's one of the good things about the P3, P4 and Inspire.
You can always check the flight data to find out what actually happened .. or how fast you were going.
Seeing the real numbers solves a lot of mysteries.

Btw, most of those that know how to view and read data from the flight log files pretty much knows what they're going to see when comparing your new & old aircraft files.

This also is the very reason why I no longer update firmware and currently use version 1.4.1 firmware. Dji became determined to program the Smart Batteries to not last as long thus needing replaced sooner. In the process of doing this the aircraft began shutting down in flight dropping from the sky. This took place when the battery Volts dropped to a critical level. Even more so, cold weather effects volts in the battery even faster so the number of aircraft crashing were out of control. As a fix, dji programmed the aircraft firmware so it would not fly as fast and not be so Volt Dependent as it had been prior to the crashes. The result has been any aircraft with firmware above version 1.5.7 flies slower, especially under 70 degrees.

Now recently more pilots are starting to mention their aircraft is slower when descending. This is a result of those who have complained about how fast their aircraft was descending. Some occasionally said their aircraft was wobbling and almost violent enough to possibly crash when landing. There was also a small group complaining the aircraft would land too fast while using the auto-land feature in the app. They said the aircraft would hit the landing area so hard that it would bounce and tip over. SOOoooo.....rather then just programming the aircraft to slow it's descent speed to a set amount of feet from landing, then just reduced the entire descent speed.

If there is something you don't think that gets changed, there is only one thing or way that I have ever known to work and that is by a large number of you to post in dji's forum asking for a change. The more that post, then better the chance the engineer tech's will get the message and there be a possible revision. A post here and there on this website is only wasted effort.

Reactions: Digdat0 and Reed L
Ok so I'm crazy. I review the flights in the DJI Go app. I see it is getting 5.1 m/s vertical speed. I just don't understand how it can seem so different than my old one? Could the fact that it seems quieter make it seem slower too? Obviously the statistics show I'm not seeing what I think I am seeing. I just can't figure out why it seems so slow. Thank you for your help and consideration, it's nice to know people are here to help sort things out. I guess I'll just have to get used to this one. Thanks again.

Since I don't have the newer firmware or paid any attention to flight data yet, I not sure what the new descent speed is. But if it is down to 2 ms again as it once was in the past, there is no getting over that! 2 ms is like 4.5mph and that is like a snail's pace.

Reactions: Digdat0

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj