What Display/Monitor

Reaction score
Hi All
Sorry if this has been asked before but im new to this, I have this week recived my first drone a DJI 3 standard and was wondering what you guys feel is the best monitor to use thats not silly money.

I have a Samsung Tab 3 7inch running on Android 4.4.2 which was hoping to use but the video seems to have a big lag on it, i updated all the firmware/software on the Phantom then took it into my garden and hand held it just moving it around and the video is quite bad, i them tested it my my Samsung S6 phone and it was loads better but i do not realy want to run it on my phone, i would rather have a device that i will dedicate to my phantom i also want somthing with a resonable size screen.

Would appricate your advise, Alan

You can find a list of commonly used devices here.

i just bought a nvidia shield k1 from BH camera.
this is an 8 inch tablet that is on the DJI compatable list.

PhantomHelp
My device is on that list and its crap which is why im asking other pilots what they would recomend.

Alan

Hi Still trying to find out what display/monitor to buy, can anyone tell me if it needs be Celluler or not, or if there is any advantage/diadvantage between WIFI and WIFI/Celluler.

Thanks Alan

Hi Still trying to find out what display/monitor to buy, can anyone tell me if it needs be Celluler or not, or if there is any advantage/diadvantage between WIFI and WIFI/Celluler.

Thanks Alan
Does not need to be cellular because you can cache the map of your flying location using wifi at your house. Only caveat is if you want to go the Apple route, the device needs to be cellular in order to include the GPS chip (which is really only necessary if you want to use follow-me mode), but you don't need a data plan.

Yes - and also I understand the GPS is better on your device if you also have a data plan because in addition to the GPS, the towers can triangulate you too, which gives you a tighter location. I read that somewhere.

What you might do is get a pay-as-you-go SIM card and then you can try it both ways.

I also would recommend a 16 GB storage space minimum on the main board or HD. The one I have is 8 GB, but only 5 GB is usable and although it's expandable with a SD card, any new apps you load get loaded onto the main storage area. At least that's the way it is with my Android.

Alan I don't think we've talked but this is my though on the subject. I've been at it for about three years and I've tried for or five different tablets. I have two drones (DJI inspire 1 & DJI phantom 3 professional). I favor two tablets, for an android tablet its the Nvidia Shield k 1 and for IOS operating system it's the iPad mini 4. Both a little pricey but well worth it. The apple iPad has a better retinal display but the Nvidia shield is a gamers tablet that has very little if any lag time on either of these tablets. Give either one a try and if you don't like it hey you can return it to the store as long as you return it in the original packaging. Hope this helps.

Seems like general consensus is the iPad air 2, iPad mini 4, nvidia shield k1.

If you must use a phone iPhone 6s.

I have a bunch of tablets and phones so I will do a test in the next few weeks with my iPad air 2, nvidia shield k1, nexus 5, nexus 5x, nexus 7, nexus 9, etc.

Nvidia Shield K1 seems to be the best bang for the buck. If you have the extra cash, go for the iPad Mini 4 (w/ cellular).

I use a Nexus 7 (2013) without problems (GPS included) except for live streaming to YouTube which won't work. For that I use an iPad mini 2 (but no GPS). I would surely love the nVidia Shield, especially with its HDMI feed for a 2nd monitor. Alternately I could get the HDMI option on the RC. Nexus 7 on full luminance is fine outside without hood.

Try dropping the fps down and see if yours improves.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31