What causes the "jello video" effect?

Reaction score
Sometimes my video has a sort of horizontal wavy effect to it. I was wondering (hoping) if that is caused by unbalanced props?.... or is that a sign of a motor going bad?.... or a gimble problem?

Are the wavy lines dark? If so, that's known as "prop shadows". It can normally be resolved by shooting video with an ND filter.

ND filters can resolve some other common issues too. Check out this video:

Last edited:
They make ND filters for the Phantom 2 V +? I have to look into that.

Yes, sir. You do own a P2V+, right?
Yes sir, but never had the use for them based on what the OP is saying.
I am interested in them though as I am starting to fly mine more again.
Just to see if it really makes a big difference in my video footage regarding bright lighting conditions. Thanks.

Nope its not the prop shadows... I used to get those until I got a lens hood, now it is the actual video is "jiggly" ... hard to explain.
Kind of looks like waves, as if the video was liquid.

Reactions: Jorde Angelovic
Did you try different props? Or, maybe try balancing the existing props if you have a prop balancer.

I had it on my standard. Turns out 1 prop was way out of balance. This is also a good read.

Reducing Jello and Getting a More Natural Look in Your Aerial Video

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app
Agreed! But for $12.00 you can get 2 sets of spare props. DJI does good on balanced props from the factory.. get an extra set or 2.
Just a piece of mind to be sure.
Also there has been a issue with gimbal ISO mounts getting hard and stiff with the P1,P2 better known as the Ball Mount., starts to stiffen and can create the jello effect as well.
I would suggest replacing them if the bird is over a year old or more.

Last edited:
Reactions: phxbird57
I had it on my standard. Turns out 1 prop was way out of balance. This is also a good read.

Reducing Jello and Getting a More Natural Look in Your Aerial Video

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

This is exactly what I was looking for. I was just starting to grasp how a slower shutter speed makes for more fluid video last night while researching and looking at ND filters.

I was also not sure what people were meaning by "jello" and this link was very helpful. The only time I had seen anything like this is in sport mode at full speed. Unfortunately I don't have a sample video but if this is happening only at full speed is it possible that something is out of balance or misaligned?

Thanks for the helpful link!

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Sometimes my video has a sort of horizontal wavy effect to it. I was wondering (hoping) if that is caused by unbalanced props?.... or is that a sign of a motor going bad?.... or a gimble problem?
Unbalanced props are the most likely cause and easy to fix. Motors can also become unbalanced, especially if you have crashed. Bearings can fail over time and c clips can come off. You can often feel vibrations by running the motors with props off and touching each arm. Check to see if there is more play with one motor.
Check the gimbal by moving the bird around with the motors off. Listen for humming noise or feel for vibrations.

Nope its not the prop shadows... I used to get those until I got a lens hood, now it is the actual video is "jiggly" ... hard to explain.
Kind of looks like waves, as if the video was liquid.

You can test for jello.
Hit record and hover at slightly above head height.
Now grab the legs of the P2 and watch video and see if the jello has gone when you grab the legs. Whats happening is the microvibrations is transferring to your arms. Jello is caused by bad harmonics. The motors maybe set to an incorrect gain.

The fix:
1. Check your 4 white dampeners and make sure they are NOT damaged.
2. Use the P2 Assistant and default your gains. It is known that a firmware update can change the gains settings. You should default them each time you do a firmware update.

Did you try different props? Or, maybe try balancing the existing props if you have a prop balancer.

Mate you don't get it, the props has nothing to do with jello don't even think about ND filter as possible isssue. This is something else

Mate you don't get it, the props has nothing to do with jello don't even think about ND filter as possible isssue. This is something else

You DO realize that out of balance props can induce the "Jello Effect" . . .

I've never had the problem, however, a simple Google search will give you plenty of info. and remedies.

Such as:

Reactions: BigAl07
And I'm guessing you didn't take the time to read the entire thread before replying? You should definitely do that ;)

You DO realize that out of balance props can induce the "Jello Effect" . . .

I fitted some of the newer 9450 props on a P2V plus and it induced a slight Jello, prob due to the fact that they are stiffer than the original 9443, so yes props can induce Jello

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
argues