what causes low gps satellite connection?

Reaction score
Before I shipped my copter out for repair, it would connect up to 12 satellites.. The dealer replaced the gps unit, now I find-- even if I'm up in the air for 10 minutes (with an unobstructed view of the sky), I never get above 9.. And even hitting nine is rare.. It usually hovers around 7, sometimes drops to 6, and sometimes climbs to 8.. I'm thinking to replace the whole gps chip, under the top lid.. By the way, I checked out the little ceramic disc, located beneath the gps unit.. no cracks-- looks fine to me.. Any ideas?..

obiwan_pierogi said:
Before I shipped my copter out for repair, it would connect up to 12 satellites.. The dealer replaced the gps unit, now I find-- even if I'm up in the air for 10 minutes (with an unobstructed view of the sky), I never get above 9.. And even hitting nine is rare.. It usually hovers around 7, sometimes drops to 6, and sometimes climbs to 8.. I'm thinking to replace the whole gps chip, under the top lid.. By the way, I checked out the little ceramic disc, located beneath the gps unit.. no cracks-- looks fine to me.. Any ideas?..

Some that I have known:

1) Buildings, trees or other sourrounding obstacles.
2) Metal under take off surface or near to it.
3) Cloudy day
4) Solar radiation ( there are some apps for verifiying before fly)
5) Interference caused by other electronic stuff (gimbal motor, batteries, VTX, another GPS from OSD, etc)
6) Non IMU calibration with Naza Assistant

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj