What are your methods to defuse the Phantom haters?

Reaction score
I thought it might be good to share some peaceful and wise ways to deal with people who are becoming more aggressive in our flying our Phantom. I'm aware of the other threads on this but some are focusing on city codes, HOA association bylaws and how angry we are about the infringement on our rights. Again last night I saw more media news about a “Drone” on the news media. I cringe when I see more and more stories like this because it’s only a matter of time that we see the regulations and city laws, not to mention the ever-increasing hostility of the general public, which is what I experienced this morning. I was flying on the beach at 6:30AM. I hiked down to a part of the beach with rocks with absolutely not one person in sight in either direction. My goal this morning was observe two items respect (early and away) I specifically got up before most people are having their first cup of coffee and set up far away from people. I’ll have this beautiful video up this week on my YouTube channel. After 12 minutes of flight over the breakers and out over the ocean about 100 meters I landed, only to see some guy yelling something to me from the walkway behind and above me. The ocean was too loud so I motioned I couldn’t hear him. Within 2 minutes he stepped around a rock and began harassing me with swearing and accusing me of hovering over him. Honestly, I didn’t even see him, or anyone else for that matter, the whole time I was flying. I reached out my hand to introduce myself but he refused to shake my hand. I told him I like to photograph nature (also had my Nikon with me) and intentionally get up early and set up far from where people might be but he wasn’t having it. I seriously thought he was going to commence to physically assault me so I walked away while he was cussing me out. The humorous thing in this is that he didn’t realize that I had more important things to photograph (video) than someone like him.
HERE’S THE QUESTION: What are your suggestions to me and the others when this happens. Let’s face it, this is only the beginning. We have two things against us: the misinformed paranoid person who thinks we’re spying on them, and the foolish flyers who are making a bad name for us.
MY SUGGESTION: To be kind, and fight the temptation to lash back. Introduce myself by my first name and assure them I only want to photograph nature and such in a non-intrusive way.
Your thoughts?

Reactions: edsvfr800
Every time I show my Phantom to friends or people I meet they always ask about using it for spying. I try to explain that it really isn't suited for that, and it's so loud you'd know it was there, but always walk away knowing they don't believe me.

Our hobby is being rocked daily with one scandal after another, and the media seems disingenuous at best by using pictures of our hobby drones, even when they're not involved. I sense an agenda afoot.

There's change in the winds fellas, which really sucks because I've had my drone since Christmas.

I feel an agenda too and don't like it :(

Sent from my iPhone 5s using Tapatalk 2 Pro

darwin-t said:
It sounds like you did the best you could. Some people are just irrational.

Indeed. Eroomomni, the way you handled everything (including all your planning) could be used as a checklist for anyone who wants to do everything they can to avoid confrontational situations with their Phantom. Some would even say you went a bit overboard in that direction, but either way I don't think there's much of anything you could have done other than not flying there at all in the first place that could have made that turn out any better.

Offering your name with a handshake is an excellent way to take the edge off what could otherwise be an uncomfortable encounter...but as you can see even the best social skills on your part can't overcome the fears some people have.

Reactions: Clipper707
eroomomni said:
MY SUGGESTION: To be kind, and fight the temptation to lash back. Introduce myself by my first name and assure them I only want to photograph nature and such in a non-intrusive way.

I think that's the best approach. Some people are just going to be difficult. If they're paranoid about being watched, offer to not use any footage with them in it.

And if calm logic ultimately fails, you should pause for several seconds, lower your voice and say "The data has already been transmitted to the local NSA sub station. You have 8 minutes before they get here. I'm sorry."

Reactions: J.James
So far whenever I have flown (admittedly in a rural environment) I have only had positive or neutral comments. Of which "that looks like fun!" being the most common. :)

But certainly you went beyond any reasonable efforts to defuse the (uncalled for - from him) situration. My chief concern is attracting the more yobbish type youth I sometimes see around who's idea of fun is either nicking or breaking other peoples property. :evil:

Bill

I bought a phantom h3/2d in Dec for a very specific project that the client required a drone for last month. It went well, I really enjoyed the phantom, got pretty good with it and love a lot of the shots I got, other than it just being plain fun to use (although a little nerve-wracking sometimes around trees). I never had any problems, people were always curious and friendly about it, and in fact the neighborhood asked me to bring it to the annual easter-egg hunt to get a shot from above of the action, everybody there thought it was interesting and cool.

That said, I gave mine away to one of the camera-men on my project as payment for a days work. I thought I would turn around and just buy a phantom 2 with a h3/3d as replacement immediately but some of the issues lately have been giving me pause (besides the issues with the new gimbal that seem like they are a work in progress). Drones being banned is impossible - there's just too many out there now. Being banned in a lot of public places is possible, but unlikely. I wish actually they had some sort of limiter in them to restrict them to 400 ft. 99% of the flying I did on my video job was under 100 ft and 95% of that was under 50 feet. For the shots I needed professionally, most action was low to the ground, and that's how I used it - never posing any sort of a threat to air traffic - for the most part there were usually trees or structures higher than I was flying.

But I do miss flying already.

Thankfully I have never had that situation but I am sure it will happen sooner rather than later.

But when I do fly in public I do get a lot of attention and I try to be a nice as possible and try to answer all questions
as politely as possible but I do ask that when I am piloting the craft that can you wait until I land the craft before
I answer any more questions as I want to have 100% of my attention on safely piloting the craft.

So I do endup landing more often and taking off and not actually flying.

I agree the OP did well and should feel proud of the responses.

Another thing to keep in mind, but not flaunt, is the issue of privacy. Often I read of the complainers hinting at [loss of] privacy as their reason for being defensive.

There is NO constitutional right or protection to the expectation of privacy OUTSIDE of YOUR HOME (appt., etc.) and in certain other places such as doctor's examining rooms, changing rooms, restrooms, etc.

Keep this in mind if that is the threat you're facing.

Simply ask them if they have a cellphone on them and if it contains a camera!

Surprisingly enough, I've been met with open arms. I honestly thought people would be suspicious of me, but the response has been overwhelmingly positive. I've got my monitor on a tripod, an iPad, GS, goggles, transmitter, and batteries laid out, so I'm already causing a scene.

I was out at the Huntington Beach cliffs of off Goldenwest and there was a lot of traffic. It was Saturday morning, 7 am down patrol. Surfers, joggers, people walking their dogs, people riding their bikes, and no one was looking at me like I was doing something bad. I could hear the surfers remarking how cool it was. One guy riding his bike stopped to talk and he was impressed and interested. Found out he was a photographer. I also saw another guy flying a Phantom when I was pulling up to park.

Out at the Seal Beach pier, I had a bunch of retirees and they were all very friendly. I like passing around my Fatsharks and watch these guys trip in amazement.

I guess I'm lucky that my experiences have been positive. I do always have the mindset that people are going to be suspicious, so I try to be more friendly than defensive.

OP, I see you're in OC. I ride a lot of trails in South OC off of Laguna and the 73. We should meet up to film, there's absolute gold up in thar hills!

Reading this one I think you handled it perfectly ... me I don't think I would have been so nice, these days I no longer stand for that sort of crap from the irrational...

I would have just smiled, walked away calmly & called the cops .... and said while I was quietly filming the sunrise & wildlife on the beach in an extremely safe manner, .... I was approached by some angry abusive pedo pervert who looked like he was watching children, you may want to come down and check on him !!! ..... that self righteous attitude you experienced from your "abuser" would have been replaced with him having to explain himself to police for what he was doing there ... As it would have been perfectly clear why you were there, given you had film evidence of what you were upto, ..... him not so much !! :twisted:

people are easy .. politics are hard !!

ianwood said:
And if calm logic ultimately fails, you should pause for several seconds, lower your voice and say "The data has already been transmitted to the local NSA sub station. You have 8 minutes before they get here. I'm sorry."

+1 to that ..... :lol:

In my opinion, you handled this situation quite well.... actually, it was textbook.

It is always tempting to debate some jerk and step down to his level, but it seldom pays off. Simply being a gentleman will always be the better route, unless you are forced to defend yourself against an assault....

Cheers.....

Gator113 said:
In my opinion, you handled this situation quite well.... actually, it was textbook.

It is always tempting to debate some jerk and step down to his level, but it seldom pays off. Simply being a gentleman will always be the better route, unless you are forced to defend yourself against an assault....

Cheers.....

I'm not sure how it could be better said... :)

Thanks...
-slinger

ianwood said:
eroomomni said:

Dude... I have tears in my eyes... :lol: :lol: :lol:

-slinger

I always carry my firearm on the side so I have yet to have any problems.....

Reactions: J.James
kydan said:
I always carry my firearm on the side so I have yet to have any problems.....

I have a real problem with anyone dying over a drone...

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl