What are the PROPER steps, should a crash occur?

Reaction score
Hello everyone,
I had a small incident today while flying my P2V ( Phantom 2 Vision. ).
I was goofing around with FPV ( First Person View ), doing some ,kinda ,high speed
Passes around my big palm trees, and between the house ( kinda tight fit )
Passed 5-6 times just fine, upon last pass ( between house and tree ) it suddenly stopped, hooked hard left ( yaw ), lost power ( not completely, but enough to not keep it in flight ) it landed pretty hard on the rocks bounced up about a foot, and back to rocks again, the blades were spooled up, but not enough for lift, I had a really hard time getting it to STOP, pulled throttle stick down a few different times and nothing, I finally pulled both sticks to start motor setting ( down and together ) motors finally stoped, but not before it rolled up on its back end and destroyed 1 prop ( not from crash, but from me trying to shut it down it flipped up on its back ( and I have prop guards, but part of rock was sticking up.) and prop was damaged! No biggie, I have several more sets!
My concern is:
What should I do now?
Hook it to PC?
Everyone talk about diagnostics, magnetic compass inclination , ect? How do you see this stuff, to try to figure out what caused this to happen? Never has this happened before, I did reboot after crash ( new props ) flies fine? Should I have done this or hooked it to PC first?

Just wondering ,thanks for any and all help, I do have video of the crash ( from phantom point of view )but I want MORE info?
I did have 7 satellites locked, 38 % battery left, flying GPS MODE, ( both switches UP ), and had a fresh compass cal.( as it was drifting upon takeoff, I landed and recalibrated ) next liftoff was stable, flew for a bit, when it happened!
Thanks

I'm new and was looking to learn some of the stuff I might need to know in the future!

Jerry D
USA
( J Dot )

After a crash it's a good idea to connect to a computer running the assistant. There is a page where you can recalibrate the IMU. After I crashed into a lake, I did this though it said a calibration wasn't necessary. I ran it anyway and it's been fine.

I too was flying FPV for the first time. I was reminded that there is/can be a delay in the FPV video stream. It's line of site for me for now.

Geo

If you had a pretty hard crash, to be on the safe side you should also take the top off the Phantom and inspect the inside for cracks or loose wires. Also make sure that the motors seem to turn okay and feel the same as you manually turn them slowly by hand. And like the other posts said, after any hard crash you defiantly will need to do an advanced calibration of your Phantom on a straight level surface.

johnbowen said:
What damage from te lake incident?

I hit the water at full speed flying in ATTI mode.
I lost the camera as it detached and was never found. The battery was retrieved but suffered damage from the water. It actually still works but one cell reads lower than the others and it will suddenly go from about 65% charge to auto landing from lower than 15%. I now just use it when connecting to the computer for power.

No damage to the Phantom, not even the props. I spent a great deal of time rinsing, cleaning, drying and securing connectors. I oiled the motor bearings while it was open.

It's funny how I ran into this lake not even knowing what was in there or how deep it was. I was determined to get my Phantom back! I couldn't see or feel anything so I went home and got a rake. So here I am up to my neck in water raking the bottom in a kind of "grid" search. I thought, what if I drowned? What would the news say? "A man was found drowned in a nearby lake...with a rake". Maybe he was off his meds?

Anyway I found it and it appeared like it landed right side up. Camera missing but other wise just wet.

Geo

I solved the game ( clue )

Professor plumb
In the lake
With a rake?

Lol, thanks for the laugh, that was too funny,
I am glad you got it back! But that was probably quite a spectical
To see, some guy raking the lake!

Off story,
I had a neighbor ( across the street ) who had a HUGE BEE HIVE, living in his front block wall
( 20 queens, found out later ) anyhow I hear all this commotion,
So I go to investigate, the guy has like 20 shirts on. A few pairs of pants,
Army boots, and a small fishing net stretched over his head, a hammer in one hand and a can of
RAID in other hand! I knew it was going to be bad!
He hit that wall, ( with the hammer ) and the whole sky turned BLACK, with bees ( millions of them )
He was swatting and spraying and yelling while he danced the jig, but to no avail, poor guy!
I ended up saving the poor guy, with an old fire extinguisher I had here!
But it was the absolute funniest thing I've ever seen!
He is fine by the way, only a few stings, I don't think he realized just how many bees were in there!
I wish I had snapped a pic of him , as he looked completely ridiculous!

Jerry D
USA
( J Dot )

The first steps in the event of a crash, is to run as fast as you can, screaming and cussing towards your downed craft. Then quietly evaluate the damage...then get out your checkbook. :shock:

The news would say that unknown person was found perished in the lake after attempting to combat a direct drone attack with the nearest thing he could find.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

After hearing about several lost cameras as a result of a crash or 'Hard landing' I used 4 small 3" white zip tie's and passed them thru the rubber dampers, leaving them loose enough to not restrict movement, but in the event of a crash (70 flights so far, so good) they should keep me from a detached camera.

* There are only 2 kinds of Phantom Pilots.... those who have crashed.... and those who will.

Try to stay in the middle of the air. Do not go near the edges of it. The edges of the air can be recognized by the appearance of ground, buildings, sea, trees and interstellar space. It is much more difficult to fly there.

Hello,
Ok here is the proper procedure ( in case on incident ) ( fly-a-way, crash, hard landing, or anything beyond user ( your ) control! )

First thing you want to do is ( BEFORE EVENT HAPPENS IF POSSIBLE ) ie: before crash, fly-a-way, ect.
1) hook phantom to PC ( PC running newest assistant & driver software )
2) under TOOLS PAGE, you'll see a bunch of info, make notes of all this below
1) gyroscope ( x=? , y=? , z=? & mod=? ) you enter your values for ?'s
( note: the values will constantly change, just use ballpark, example, say value is changing from 0.0-0.2, you might make the value ( 0.1 ) average or ballpark, your best educated guess! It will be close enough!
2) accelerometer ( x=? , y=? , z=?, & mod=? ) again use your values for ?'s
And finally
Compass ( x=? , y=? , z=? & mod=? )
Write them down, and save them

Now if a crash occurs, or other strange phenomenon happens, you can hook to PC, and compare notes!
The ones you wrote down, compared to new values after ( mishap )
This may help you find what went wrong to cause mishap, or simply user error?

Hope this helps!

Jerry D
USA
( J Dot )

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20