What are some cool uses you have found for your phantom?

Reaction score
What are some cool uses you have found with your phantom that you didnt plan on when buying it?
I bought one for fun and for some light photography but have found it very useful in other aspects of my life. I have a video in the video section that I took out on the bayou when I was just playing around. I got home and started viewing it and noticed an abandoned boat hidden around a corner that I couldnt see from my current vantage point as it was blocked by marsh.

A few days later I got down real close to it and saw that it was a center console that was in pretty decent shape. I took my boat out to it and towed it back to my property. It needs a little transom work but other than that it is in pretty good shape. I could sell it as is right now for about $1000. I have it in the lost and found section of craigslist right now but if nobody claims it by law it is mine.

I have also started metal detecting. An old friend of mine is turning me on to it. Around the turn of the century American Indians would sit on the bank of the bayou and harvest clams. You can tell where these clam banks are because there are a ton of shells in one area that have no place being there. They would also use these places as trading posts so I figure there may be some cool stuff buried in them and plan on taking the metal detectors out there.

I have a lot of buddies who hunt and they use there Phantoms to survey their hunting land to see where the pigs or deer have been.

You guys have any other good uses for yours besides fun and photography?

I delivered a Reese's Peanut Butter cup to my friend who lives about 4 miles (straight line) from me using the ILoveCoffee Ground Station app. :p

He already has a battery charger since I often go to his house to fly. So he hand caught my Vision+ as it landed in his driveway, and then charged the battery back up to 100% and sent it back to me. :mrgreen:

Sorry but aerial video gets boring after awhile and we need to find new uses for these flying machines. Carrying items back and forth to friends and family houses is the next "killer app" ready to be exploited and enjoyed by the masses. :D

Danny-Darida said:
I delivered a Reese's Peanut Butter cup to my friend who lives about 4 miles (straight line) from me using the ILoveCoffee Ground Station app. :p

He already has a battery charger since I often go to his house to fly. So he hand caught my Vision+ as it landed in his driveway, and then charged the battery back up to 100% and sent it back to me. :mrgreen:

Sorry but aerial video gets boring after awhile and we need to find new uses for these flying machines. Carrying items back and forth to friends and family houses is the next "killer app" ready to be exploited and enjoyed by the masses. :D
Love it!!

How the hell do you get 4 miles?

Hmm :?:

ccase39 said:
Love it!!

Yep! And I can't wait to see what I can carry with the Inspire 1 once I buy it. Although I heard there is no Ground Station app for the Inspire yet, and even rumors there may never be one. However, I'm sure some smart dude like ILoveCoffee will maybe find a way to write up some tasty code and give us an unlimited range Ground Station for the Inspire anyway?

I've had a Vision+ for about 6 months and I love it, but aerial videography is getting boring. I'm sure other people feel the same way but probably won't admit it in here.

We need to start carrying little items with our birds and get more use out of them. I'm even trying to find some kind of remote-activated air drop servo so I wont have to physically land my bird at the end of a Ground Station mission. There should be a way to do this through some kind of phone call or text app I would think.

what is this iLove coffee?

ccase39 said:

Pretty much the coolest autonomous flight app for the Vision or Vision+ that's currently available. Unlimited range and unlimited waypoints, dude! :p

The guy who wrote the app seems to love coffee, and even asks for a small PayPal donation to fund his coffee addiction.

http://www.phantompilots.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=25244

Read all about it and then download it here and start enjoying it !!

http://ilovecoffee.cf/

:D :D :D

**** I have an iPone. Well I do have an Android tablet, maybe I will try that. Just kind of big. I could make an apparatus of some kind to help hold it and free up my hands I guess.

Me not walking over that bridge !

Attachments

• Hiding under bridge  !.png
    Hiding under bridge !.png
    62.2 KB · Views: 597
The camera on my fc40 is messed up at the moment, so I've just been using mine to do tricks in manual mode, or tying to find new things to do with it. I strapped my phone on it before and used that for video, but it just wasn't all that great, and it was a bit heavy so flight times were bad. I've also done a few other things such as putting speakers on it, tying stuffed animals to it, tried to make a drop box, but it was kinda heavy and didn't work that great, and I put a little basket on it, so I could send my neighbors stuff. I have some walkie talkies I plan on putting on it some day so I can relay messages as well. I think someone said they used theirs for clearing out the gutters as well so that's cool.

I've wanted to put a speaker on mine. Also a claw. I never will because I really have other things to occupy my time. Does sound fun though.

ccase39 said:
**** I have an iPone. Well I do have an Android tablet, maybe I will try that. Just kind of big. I could make an apparatus of some kind to help hold it and free up my hands I guess.

Attach an iPhone or an Android device to your phantom for Thermal and InfraRed survillance:

http://www.flir.com/flirone/explore.cfm

skin_gray.png

Or Just flight for fun :shock:

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i43YV4SvN7Y[/youtube]

Danny-Darida said:
ccase39 said:

Pretty much the coolest autonomous flight app for the Vision or Vision+ that's currently available. Unlimited range and unlimited waypoints, dude! :p

The guy who wrote the app seems to love coffee, and even asks for a small PayPal donation to fund his coffee addiction.

http://www.phantompilots.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=25244

Read all about it and then download it here and start enjoying it !!

http://ilovecoffee.cf/

:D :D :D

Okay, but how do you get past the battery's capacity?

ccase39 said:
I've wanted to put a speaker on mine.

I've been toying with the idea of a speaker, too. I've already used my Vision+ to scout the perimeter of my Grandma's farm because she's having problems with trespassing hunters and kids riding ATVs. I already got a couple of these douchebags on video, but I thought it'd be cool if I could attach a really small walkie-talkie and descend down to around 30 ft above their heads and tell them I got their faces on video and I'm calling the cops. Might be a nice deterrent.

Many hunters are paranoid, anti-authority weirdos carrying heavy firepower so I'm somewhat hesitant to confront them in person when they interlope. The Vision+ has become my friendly equalizer in such matters.

Danny-Darida said:
ccase39 said:
I've wanted to put a speaker on mine.

I've been toying with the idea of a speaker, too. I've already used my Vision+ to scout the perimeter of my Grandma's farm because she's having problems with trespassing hunters and kids riding ATVs. I already got a couple of these douchebags on video, but I thought it'd be cool if I could attach a really small walkie-talkie and descend down to around 30 ft above their heads and tell them I got their faces on video and I'm calling the cops. Might be a nice deterrent.

Many hunters are paranoid, anti-authority weirdos carrying heavy firepower so I'm somewhat hesitant to confront them in person when they interlope. The Vision+ has become my friendly equalizer in such matters.
That farm happen to be in Ohio by chance ;)

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik