What a Phantom Looks like after a swim

Reaction score
Here are a few pictures of my Phantom, which was retreived from Lake Ontario today.

I lost control of it about 10 days ago, and this is the 2nd time a diver came to try and find it, which he did.

I have taken it apart, and it is now in various bags filled with rice.

The camera was recording video when it went down, but the file is not readable as it is corrupted.

Perhaps something will be usable. I don't know.

Darren

Attachments

• 20130608_170754.jpg
    20130608_170754.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 1,081
  • 20130608_170816.jpg
    20130608_170816.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 972
  • 20130608_170841.jpg
    20130608_170841.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 977
man, that's awesome that u got it back. I hope it all dries out ok. What happened to the naked gopro?
What looks like it needs replaced?

that's good news to hear. at least you were able to recover it and can salvage some of it. hope you can salvage more than less. good luck

The props
The gimbal with new servos
Landing gear
Case

As to the electronics.....

I don't know.

I tossed all the batteries

The memory card seems fine, but for $30, not sure I would use it

Suggestions?

D

The camera is definitely toast, however the lens should be OK, I'd save that for a spare. As for the rest of the electronics, even though some components might have survived, I still wouldn't trust them.

BTW make a video when you teardown the gopro, don't think I've seen one of a Hero 3 yet....

I would think the motors would be recoverable. Take them apart and pop out the bearings. Flush out the windings with electric motor cleaner. Get replacement bearings. Reassemble and test.

I'm thinking the go pro might survive, while I am uncertain the rest will.

I don't know I am comfortable with a soldering iron' or know what the esc,`s look like.

If there was a user in my community, I would work with them,, but maybe I have some spare parts like the plastic, etc

Got all the new items in except for the gimbal. Weather might cooperate on Wednesday.

My problem today..... I had to put my 15 year old best friend to sleep. I will miss him more than the x wife I left 5 years ago.

If anyone knows a Maine Coon cat breeder, I'm looking for a pair of reds.

Happy flying

D

I thought I might give you fellow Phantom swimmers an update, and some good news.

Here are a couple of pictures you might be interested. When I got my Phantom/GoPro back, I put everything in rice to let it dry out. While I have not rebuilt the Phantom yet - maybe next week, I have been working on the Camera.

The first couple of pics are of the GoPro about a week after I got it out of the lake. The camera worked, but the images were not useable. The last 3 show what the lens looks like now, and what the image quality is.

It is improving every few days.

Now, for you techies. Are the remaining dots on the lens moisture, or mold?

There is hope for those of you who have sunk a Phantom/GoPro. Give it a try. Can't wait to see if I can make the Phantom go again!

Darren

Attachments

• Lens-Comparison.jpg
    Lens-Comparison.jpg
    194.1 KB · Views: 754
  • 1-week-after-swim-2-.jpg
    1-week-after-swim-2-.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 692
  • Close-up-2.jpg
    Close-up-2.jpg
    229 KB · Views: 773
Knocked my phantom out of a tree onto rocks beside a river. Banged the quad good, sent the gopro flying, quad upside down in river floating because of foam noodles on the landing skids. Recovered the quad, shook out the water, about 6 hours later put a blow dryer nearby on low and blew in the battery hole for an hour, then dry out overnight. Recalibrated the IMU, it took three resets, new props, and a couple of missing screws. Flies like it never happened! Mind you, I'm glad it wasn't salt water.

Ya, I think I'll try it tomorrow morning for some fun. Not sure what to do with a second Phantom, but perhaps I canuse it as my high risk unit. The one I fly near water :lol:

Darren

Well, I think this is the last update on this phantom.

After almost 30 days in rice, I took it out of the bags, vacuumed the rice out of everything, and plugged it in.

I did get power, and the unit booted as it should have, but I had a small puff of smoke come from near one of the motors.

2 of the 4 motors showed some sign of life, but neither would spin up past the initial turn on of the motors. I gave a it a few seconds, but.... nope.

SO I unplugged it, and now I guess It's all over.

Some questions:

1. How can I test some of the components, like the NAZA controller and GPS to see if they are salvageable?

2. Would you do anything else before writing this off?

I guess the case is still worth keeping in the event I break the new one, but I can't think of anything else to make this work better.

As always, your suggestions are encouraged and welcomed!

See the pics.

Darren

Attachments

• IMG_0471.jpg
    IMG_0471.jpg
    123.7 KB · Views: 472
  • IMG_0472.jpg
    IMG_0472.jpg
    121.6 KB · Views: 414
  • IMG_0473.jpg
    IMG_0473.jpg
    109.2 KB · Views: 422
Don't give up.

I'm guessing you have maybe one bad motor, but its stopping the naza from firing the motor up because it sensed some problem???

Try firing up with one ESC disconnected, and see what result you get, then reconnect it, and disconnect another one, even try disconnecting the two "suspect" ones and see what happens when you fire up?

Hopefully its only something small and easy enough to replace and you'll be back flying in no time :)

. . . (Think positive)

I am flying again, as I re-purchased everything, but it would be nice to get this one working.

I'll look at your suggestion tomorrow and see what happens.

Darren

GG

Just a warning !

Mine went swimming in salt water, had it out after a minute or so, cleaned it out with everything I could think off. Dismantled motors immediately replaced bearings seemed ok. One of the ESC was toast (read swollen) replaced it.

Finally plugged her in and went flying all great big smiles :D :D

Used one battery (12 odd minutes) plugged in the next one climbed to 3 metres flipped and did a rock impression, left rear motor stopped. Plugged it in for a check, noticed right front motor slow to start :? I am sure the motors are ok so will replace all the ESC which is what I should have done from the get go.

I will let u know, I would guess having one ESC swollen was a warning as they were all being powered when she went swimming. Just my opinion for what its worth.
Steve

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4