What’s your opinion of the Phantom 4 Advanced!

Reaction score
I live in the UK about to get one of these but am a little worried that this model seems to be barely mentioned here! Is this variant just not popular? If not, why not?
I also realise that it doesn’t seem to have a 5.8 band to operate on. Does this make a difference to the range in the countryside?
Please help if you can, any advice is welcome!

Last edited:
I have two P4 Advanced,the plus models with built-in screen in the controller. I saw no reason to pay more for the Pro. Somebody claims that 5.8 band can be an advantage in urban areas with lots of interference, but I have no problem with only 2.4. I also fly mostly in the countryside. The Advanced has the same camera and functions as the Pro, except it does not have all the obstacle sensors as the Pro. I do not regret buying the Advanced, and got a few extra batteries and ND-filters for the money I saved :)

I live in the UK about to get one of these but am a little worried that this model seems to be barely mentioned here! Is this variant just not popular? If not, why not?
I also realise that it doesn’t seem to have a 5.3 band to operate on. Does this make a difference to the range in the countryside?
The Advanced is an excellent drone.
It's identical to the P4 pro but with a few small things missing.
2.4 GHz and 5.8 GHz work about equally well in interference free areas - 2.4 maybe slightly better.
But in urban areas where interference is common, 5.8 might work better.

Reactions: GadgetGuy
Do you think that the Lightbridge technology it uses will penetrate foliage / trees as well as Ocusync that the Mavic uses?

Do you think that the Lightbridge technology it uses will penetrate foliage / trees as well as Ocusync that the Mavic uses?
There is more to the range than the RF performance (which is identical). Transmission protocol including encoding, error correction implementation, hardware performance etc all okay a part. Occusync outperforms lightbridge. Whether you need the extra performance (better downlink image quality and lower latency as well as better range) is a question only you can answer. Lightbridge is more than what most people need to get good use.

I have a Mavic Pro v1 already, just didn’t want performance to be inferior to it. I live in an area where there are many trees and some signal penetration is needed. The Mavic does a pretty good job and I was hoping that the Phantom would be as good!

According to DJI specs both do 7km in FCC compliance mode. I doubt you will notice any significant performance difference.

Thanks, one quick question. Does the P4A + have the same privacy options as the normal GO4 app, not to upload logs etc to DJI?

The screen on the P4A+ does not need to be connected to internet unless you want to update.
Turn off WiFi and you are totally offline. Mine has not been online since I purchased and activated it.

Awesome but what about maps, you need to connect to the net to cache those and won’t it just upload then without the right privacy options being deselected?

I”ve been flying my P4A over a year now. Commercial, sport, etc. A very solid bird. 4K camera.

Guess folks feel more safe with 360degree obstacle sensing. Maybe the 5Ghz freq, too.

Not me. Fly P3A and P4A. Best bang for the buck.

I’ve had a P4A since Feb this year... at the time I purchase it, it was over £400 cheaper than the pro.

For the price, I can cope without the few extras the pro comes with.....

I also realise that it doesn’t seem to have a 5.8 band to operate on. Does this make a difference to the range in the countryside?

I have a P4A as well as the Mavic Pro. I use the Mavic Pro quite a bit more. It is quieter and much more portable and I like the fact that the firmware permits the panoramic mode which the P4A firmware does not. Also the range on the Mavic Pro is about 25% greater. The image quality for stills on the P4A would be better than the Mavic Pro except my P4A is soft in the corners. I don't know if that is just a problem with my copy or all P4A's. But in lower light the larger sensor of the P4A makes a difference. The bottom line is that I would not repurchase the P4A if I had a choice.

UK is under CE power limits and the P4P 2.4 Ghz band outputs are stronger than the 5.8Ghz band outputs. In the U.S., under FAA power limits, it is the reverse on the P4P, and I would recommend the P4P. However, in Europe, save the extra $400 and get the P4A. The missing sensors are useless except in close up work. :cool:

I have the MP and the P4P. I f every day for several hours and I would say the MP flys so much more reliable than the P4P however the Photos and Video hands down better on the P4P. I would love the MP2 but will wait for the P5.

HomeyJay: We have a P4P+ and it’s superb. I’m British but fly mainly at our huge nature reserve in South Africa, although also in Sussex.

If Meta4 says it’s effectively the same, then it’s a great piece of technology. We’ve found our drone to be highly reliable and the camera quality is very good for the price. These two factors are (to us) the most important considerations by far.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.