Wet battery disposal?

Reaction score
OK. My P3 fell into the lagoon this morning. Got it out after maybe 5 min. And spent the day doing various things to dry it. Ongoing.
But I know the battery is not safe now.

How do I PROPERLY dispose fi it?
I read that it should be soaked in salt water for a while , then take it to Home Depot or Lowes or Best Buy.
Is this correct? And if so, how much salt to say 1 gallon of water would be enough?

"There are many people who say that the safest way to discharge a lipo is to submerge it in salt water. The theory behind this is simple, salt water conducts electricity and water is a safe place to have a lipo in case of fire. The problems are that it can take a LONG time to discharge using this method and the salt water is corrosive, so there is a chance that the pack will not get fully discharged do to corrosion halting current flow. As such I do not recommend the salt water method. ":

Take it to Autozpne or Orielys Autoparts. Tell them you need safe battery disposal and the battery has a charge on it. Put it in their hands and say its yours to deal with now. Run away.

Cool. 2 AutoZones within a mile of me. And a couple other Auto supply shops.

And again. Tried that site. And apparently there are no places (on this site's list) in all of Chiago that will take Lithium-ion batteries....
amazing

And again. Tried that site. And apparently there are no places (on this site's list) in all of Chiago that will take Lithium-ion batteries....
amazing

Now that's surprising!

Hobby Shops should have a method for safe discharge and disposal. Its their business after all.

You know they are going to charge you a fee.

You can also ship it to me and I will take it out in the desert and put some rounds through it while filming the impact at 120 FPS and posting the slow mo video on this forum. I need more stuff for target practice and this battery would be nothing compared to the tannerite that I have shot at in the past.

Now that's surprising!

Hobby Shops should have a method for safe discharge and disposal. Its their business after all.

You know they are going to charge you a fee.

You can also ship it to me and I will take it out in the desert and put some rounds through it while filming the impact at 120 FPS and posting the slow mo video on this forum. I need more stuff for target practice and this battery would be nothing compared to the tannerite that I have shot at in the past.
Ha! Wish I could do that. Only indoor ranges anywhere close to me. Used to have friends out in the boonies where we could do target practice outside. But alas, the suburbs have swallowed all that unincorporated land up....

Because my P3 went swimming in the lagoon. 5-10 min submerged.
Everyone says that after submersion it's basically a time bomb.

Although there's not seemed to be any reaction so far. No swelling or even feeling warm.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Consider the positives/negatives:

Positive: Superlight, and able to hold more energy than any other cell

Negative: If the lithium inside the battery comes in contact with water, it can mess you up bad

Maximum PC

Consider the positives/negatives:

Positive: Superlight, and able to hold more energy than any other cell

Negative: If the lithium inside the battery comes in contact with water, it can mess you up bad

Maximum PC
Understood....

On that logic though if the electrolyte isnt finding its way out of the cells why should we expect it likley water will find its way in?

I talked to a buddy at a local Vape shop and asked him if they would take a Drone LiPo battery and he said sure no problem. Since they recycle plenty of 18650 Lipo batteries you may want to find a local Vape shop and see if they will take it off your hands and recycle it.

The guy at my local shop is a hoot! He asked me if there was any way to hook that up to a Mod (a vaping device that the atomizer connects to) so that he could have more power and capacity.

Thats when I told him this was a hypothetical question. LOL

Thx BDog. Great suggestion. There's a couple vale ships close by. I'll talk to them tomorrow.

Just a question- it's been 4 days and the battery has shown no sign of trouble. Is it possible that no water actually got in and it is ok - or is that just foolish...?

Thx BDog. Great suggestion. There's a couple vale ships close by. I'll talk to them tomorrow.

I dont understand why you think this battery needs trashing. Treat it like the aircraft. If its holding charge and hasnt puffed id pull it down and satisfy myself its ok and dried thoroughly then give it a supervised charge and see how you go.

Salt water imersion wpuld be a different story.

Just a question- it's been 4 days and the battery has shown no sign of trouble. Is it possible that no water actually got in and it is ok - or is that just foolish...?

Very possible.... if the cells arent leaking their internals why should we expect water entered them.

It the battery was submerged into sweet water, there are good chances that it will survive.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.