Well shut my mouth - the P3A now has an "N" number

mjw

Reaction score
After submitting the FAA 8050-1 and the FAA 8050-88 (with two letters telling what I did wrong but no hint of what information to enter to correct error, and a very helpful conversation with a FAA registry representative) I now have an "N" number - the only bad news it is N 666FB - now the 666 part kinda bothers me :>) - if the P3 starts to go crazy I know it has been possessed - now awaiting a reply from the 333 exemption and hopefully a rule change that removes the getting a sports pilot license (what a goofy requirement)

Just curious. If you are waiting for a change in the regulations (pilots license). why would you get the N number now? Why not wait? I just don't see the need to be on their radar, so to speak, until necessary.

Just curious. If you are waiting for a change in the regulations (pilots license). why would you get the N number now? Why not wait? I just don't see the need to be on their radar, so to speak, until necessary.
Well, if they should require an N# the process is over with - just like the 333 exemption process - I doubt seriously this puts me or anyone on FAA's radar - if nothing else those that are attempting to follow the rules are sending a message to the FAA we want to be responsible operators unlike the bozos that fly around the washington monument and near airports etc - I want to use the P3 in my business so he worst that could happen when the FAA finally sets some rules and they no longer require an N# so be it, but if they keep that requirement I am done with it or they may create some other hoop to jump through - who knows - its the government

Reactions: Bigdz
I sent my N number request almost 3 weeks ago, and haven't heard anything from them yet. No letters or anything. How long was it when you got your first letter from them? I made sure I included as much as I could, and got it notarized and all that...

It took about 4-5 weeks for the 8050-1 to generate a reply asking of for the 8050-88 - got one letter w/ 8050-88 attached and fairly good directions (I thought) for filling it out - I made a couple of mistakes - second letter about 2 weeks later - talked with registration person at FAA - got good info - sent 8050-88 - about 2 weeks later got a post card like document for FAA with N# (very nondescript card so look for it)

It took about 4-5 weeks for the 8050-1 to generate a reply asking of for the 8050-88 - got one letter w/ 8050-88 attached and fairly good directions (I thought) for filling it out - I made a couple of mistakes - second letter about 2 weeks later - talked with registration person at FAA - got good info - sent 8050-88 - about 2 weeks later got a post card like document for FAA with N# (very nondescript card so look for it)

Lol.. So today I got the letter from the FAA with a few things, I bet like yours. Simple stuff, and also they had a phone number in the letter. I think I'll call them tomorrow just to make sure I am clear on the info they need.

When I called and finally got through (call early in the day) the FAA guy was helpful and patient - his comment was "we are being covered up with these requests" - but we figured out what info to correct

When I called and finally got through (call early in the day) the FAA guy was helpful and patient - his comment was "we are being covered up with these requests" - but we figured out what info to correct

Sweet... I'll be patient.

And yea, I bet they are probably flooded with requests. Thanks for that info... :)

What's an n #?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
One of the things (hoops that is) the FAA makes one jump through is to register the UAV if you are going to use commercially - part of the process is getting an N number - it is I think the same numbering required for airplanes - the number that appears on the planes tail (but I just guessing)

This must be done before 333?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I don't think there is any specific order to the process - I have submitted my exemption request (in July) - I understand that takes months - but I am stopping there - no way I will pay thousands for a sports pilot license - I will just enjoy the P3 for fun until the FAA amends the rules - I can't believe they would leave the pilots requirement in UAV registration process - but it is the government and logic may not win the day.

Reactions: Squirrel!
I don't think there is any specific order to the process - I have submitted my exemption request (in July) - I understand that takes months - but I am stopping there - no way I will pay thousands for a sports pilot license - I will just enjoy the P3 for fun until the FAA amends the rules - I can't believe they would leave the pilots requirement in UAV registration process - but it is the government and logic may not win the day.

Totally agree. I submitted my 333 about a month ago, without a license. At the rate they're going, the rules will probably change way before they get to read my 333... lol...

Reactions: Squirrel!
You can get the Section 33 Exemption w/o any pilot rating but it is impossible to fly within the requirements of the 333 without you or your PIC having a min of a Sport Pilots License. If you don't have this you can hire it out but the pilot flying the aircraft during the commercial ops must be a min of SPL.

Also the N# is required registration but it's simple and only costs $10 ( I think). I got mine in about 2 weeks but that was months ago before they got totally swamped with requests.

In terms of "changes" the very earliest (and this is assuming you believe in the Easter Bunny) would be June/July 2016. I don't have any faith what so ever that they will even remotely meet that deadline but it would be nice if they could. Between now and the "new rules" you will need to meet the existing requirements of the 333 exemption or it's a waste of your time and it definitely does put you "On the radar". Once you open Pandora's box you are on their radar like it or not.

I don't think there is any specific order to the process - I have submitted my exemption request (in July) - I understand that takes months -

Best case "average" was 120 days but with the current log jam that we call the FAA I'm not too hopeful for anything near 120 days. If you ask about your submission you'll get the "Dear John" email stating

"Each submission is manually processed and uploaded by the Docket Office, which typically takes between 6-8 weeks. Once it is posted, it will be assigned a Docket Number (FAA-2015-XXXX). However, in times of heavy docket activity, documents could take additional time to be processed. As a reminder, Part 11.81 requires operators to submit a petition for exemption 120 days before you need the exemption to take effect. We will do our best to process your petition in this timeframe; however, factors such as petition completeness, complexity, and volume of requests may affect the length of time needed to process your petition. We will contact you if we need additional information to process your petition. Otherwise, you may not hear from the FAA until we issue a decision letter. We appreciate your patience as we work to process petitions in an expeditious and safe manner.

Thank you for your interest in aviation safety.

FAA Office of Rulemaking"

I can't believe they would leave the pilots requirement in UAV registration process - but it is the government and logic may not win the day.
Once new testing standards have been created, approved and implemented we will be good to go w/o a SPL (min) but until that time (as stated above I don't see it happening but Summer 2016 but we can be hopeful of a miracle) a pilot rating will be required. Sucks but that's how it is for now.

How do you know a pilot rating will be required in the new rule - first off it is totally unnecessary requirement - overkill - I would hope for some form of safety training - on online course or something, but requiring a pilots license is a waste of money and time - do RC plane guys need a pilot license - those things are harder to fly than a UAV

How do you know a pilot rating will be required in the new rule - first off it is totally unnecessary requirement - overkill - I would hope for some form of safety training - on online course or something, but requiring a pilots license is a waste of money and time - do RC plane guys need a pilot license - those things are harder to fly than a UAV

I agree totally. I wouldn't mind taking a few training courses, having a "UAV" license or something like that, but not a full-on pilots license. I have no plan EVER to fly a real plane...

The "Pilot Rating" should go away with the new rules IF they get the foundation laid down in time. In order to do away with that requirement the proper training programs have to be created, tested, approved and then implemented into their testing programs. You'll have to go to a certified testing center (just like PPL testing) but you won't have to fly the airplane.

The only reason why a pilot certification is required is because the training needed to fulfill the current regulations is only accomplished through actual pilot training. In the not so distant future that won't be the case but remember we are on the cutting edge of some amazing things and it's going to take time for other aspects to catch up and become "established".

The "Pilot Rating" should go away with the new rules IF they get the foundation laid down in time. In order to do away with that requirement the proper training programs have to be created, tested, approved and then implemented into their testing programs. You'll have to go to a certified testing center (just like PPL testing) but you won't have to fly the airplane.

The only reason why a pilot certification is required is because the training needed to fulfill the current regulations is only accomplished through actual pilot training. In the not so distant future that won't be the case but remember we are on the cutting edge of some amazing things and it's going to take time for other aspects to catch up and become "established".
What do u base the first paragraphs testing info on?

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrl