Well ****... Seems I am the latest to fall victim to the infamous "stress crack"

Reaction score
As some of you may know from a previous thread, I recently had to upgrade my Advanced from v1.4 to v1.6 in order to link it with a new RC I received under warrantee to replace a defective one. Well during the first test flight yesterday, I noticed the Phantom was vibrating quite strongly. Did an IMU calibration and it seems to have resolved the vibration issue (or at least improved it... hard to say). Anyway, I was concerned the vibrations may have done some damage and sure enough I discovered a small hairline crack under the one of the front motors... sigh...

I'm gonna contact DJI support about this in the next few days (and send them photos). Honestly I'd like to just get it exchanged for a new one with the re-enforced shell and the new motors (mine has the old motors and shell). If I ask do you think they'll agree to just exchanging it? Anybody done it before? Also, if it comes to it and I have to send it in for repair to get the shell replaced; does anyone know if DJI is replacing the older shells with the new re-enforced ones?

Thanks, and sorry about creating another thread on this topic!

Sorry to hear of your damages. In regards to DJI, it's unlikely they're going to agree to provide you with anything different than what you currently own. You might get lucky and receive a replacement with both the new shell and motors however, first get a claim started and hopefully all will be handled to your satisfaction.

Sorry to hear of your damages. In regards to DJI, it's unlikely they're going to agree to provide you with anything different than what you currently own. You might get lucky and receive a replacement with both the new shell and motors however, first get a claim started and hopefully all will be handled to your satisfaction.

Yeah, I don't really expect they'll agree, but I figure why not try and give it a shot given that it's a known design flaw with the older models (and I'm sure DJI is well aware of this... why else would they redesign the shells). Worst that can happen is they'll say no and tell me to send it in for repair.

This is why it's important to get a good dealer. If you have a good dealer then they will replace it no problem. Try dronefly they have an A+ rating on bbb.org and they are bbb accredited

Don't worry even if you get an old system, you are still covered under warranty. I have old motors and they are going strong.

Old shells aren't all bad. I had two P3's original shells and motors etc. never had a cracking issue.

Also, be careful what you wish for the newer P3's have lower power output transmitters on the craft and controller. And the newer controllers don't do video encoding like the original one (GL300A). They force the tablet/phone to do it.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers