Well built and tough

Reaction score
Loving the vision but my flying Skills don't match the technology.Yesterday was flying at forward speed I somehow fluid into a load of gorse bush above a cliff. It bounced on the gorse and fell down the cliff around 10 m. Landing on hard densely packed sand below. On running over to pick it up the camera had become detached. This was reattached and two new blades fitted. I couldn't believe it everything looked fine. But I'm trying to fly something was of a sleep not right. Not picking up the satellites and erratic flying. And so a very quick landing. The camera works fine but on trying to slide at home again no luck. I took it apart and checked all the connections on the GPS module which were okay. Then trying it in the garden eventually it picked up six satellites. Trying to fly it something was obviously wrong and is not holding station and drifting. Within seconds it had lost all of the GPS is again. So I have ordered a new GPS module and also a new electronic compass. I've not yet fitted these but this seems like the most likely problem I'll keep you updated. But considering the distance hits fell and the ease of ordering spare parts I am very impressed.
Danger mouse.

Hold fire there!

Firstly have you hooked it up to the Assistant and seen if it needs an (advanced) IMU calibration? Even if it's not saying it's required it's worth running one and recalibrating the compass. You might want to try this first as it could solve your issues. I'm not saying your GPS isn't kaput, but the erratic behaviour certainly smells like your aircraft needs a bit of help remembering what straight and level looks like and which direction it's pointing in.

Sometimes after a bump the IMU can get a bit "stuck" and needs sorting out.

NO i have no tried the calibration.
Do you have a link on this calibration and how to preform it. also what sort of numbers should i be getting.

Cheers

Dangermouse

^^^ What he said. On the calibration page of the Assistant software there are also :?: help links that show you the expected "normal" range you should be seeing.

As I said though, worth doing advance cali anyway even if it "looks" fine and do a careful, controlled test hover and see if that's fixed things without having to spend any money.

Tried the advanced calibration as suggested but no luck. so i took out the gps module on on close inspection to the side that faces upwards you can see hair line cracks int the Arial. So i have replaced this with a new one and straight away i am picking up 8 satellites. I did compass calibration and then a test hover. It is much better but i still have some drift which i need to look into. Just tried an advance calibration and awaiting another test flight. i will keep you updated. But for people who are having gps issues after a crash a close visual of the module after taking it out may well give you a clue.The module may be fixable with some conductive paint to reinstate the full area of the module, but given the £120 price of a new gps module against £850 & a safe return to home i do not think it is worth the risk.
Dangermouse

dangermouse said:
Tried the advanced calibration as suggested but no luck. so i took out the gps module on on close inspection to the side that faces upwards you can see hair line cracks int the Arial. So i have replaced this with a new one and straight away i am picking up 8 satellites. I did compass calibration and then a test hover. It is much better but i still have some drift which i need to look into. Just tried an advance calibration and awaiting another test flight. i will keep you updated. But for people who are having gps issues after a crash a close visual of the module after taking it out may well give you a clue.The module may be fixable with some conductive paint to reinstate the full area of the module, but given the £120 price of a new gps module against £850 & a safe return to home i do not think it is worth the risk.
Dangermouse

In a way I'm glad the purchase wasn't wasted! Good to note for others with post crash GPS issues, though. The other thing to check if you have some drifting is to check that the sticks are all centred at rest in the Vision Assistant. You can always do a stick calibration in there just in case...

Tried and tested in the garden now and working quite well. It did need another compass calibration but this was easy enough. Holding station much better with hands of the controls. There is a minor issue with vertical stability now that was not there before.
I just need to find an open space to check it out some more as well as the return to home function. On a side note i would like to make my remote control less sensitive to pitch and roll . My current settings are %120, can i reduce these to around %100?
Keep you updated and thanks for all the advice out there.
Dangermouse

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj