Weird reflection

Reaction score
Hey folks,

Have had my P3P for a few months now, and am quite happy with the unit as a whole.

The other day I did a video flight over some water around the shore, and when I got home, I noticed a weird reflection in the video. You can see the reflection in this clip. The weird thing is that the sun is actually behind the quad, so its not really lens flare. Its not a defect in the camera because it moves as I pan the camera, and disappears when I turn to a certain point. I thought it was a reflection off the water, but it happens on land on some occasions as well.

I thought this was a one off kinda freak thing, then I noticed the same reflection in the wedding video that was posted on this site... (Though I cant seem to find it now).

Any ideas on this one?? Its puzzling me that the reflection of light is happening when the sun is behind the quad... When I turn towards the sun, I get the lens flare, which is expected.

I noticed a similar reflection, ever so briefly, during a fight over water myself last week. It happened as I panned the camera so I just chalked it up to lens flare but I'll have to check again.

Hmmm, thanks for that info! Very interesting... I guess it just struck me as odd because I have never seen it before..

I've never seen that effect from the video on the Go Pro 4 Black on my P2.
For there to be two threads about it already is a bit concerning. I'd not be at all happy to have that in my videos. I guess one more reason to keep saving till the Inspire 2 is invented. I hope you find a solution. I'm assuming you don't have any lens filters or the like installed that could be causing it?

Its funny how you notice something and then a few days later someone posts a question on here, I noticed the same thing 30 seconds in to a zip line test last week on a sunny afternoon.

It is called a glory. Or a pilot's halo. It's a natural optical effect.

http://www.wwu.edu/skywise/a101_rainbows.html

+1
If you walking on a sunny day you very often can see a glory around the shadow of your head. Especially if the shadow is projected a little bit further away.
An object in the sky has for sunrays (directed light) always a kind of lensing (diffraction) effect. You see this more clearly if the object has a dimension that is not much bigger as the perceived size of the sun, around 15 to 30 cm's.
With bigger objects you can see this on the shadow edge. The outer edge of the shadow is even brighter then the fully exposed area.

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj