Weird jiggle in video after crash

Reaction score
So I crashed the phantom 3 Pro last week. Nothing broke off, looked ok. So I took back off and flew a little. Looked ok, in the middle of a shoot for a family friend so it looked mostly ok so we kept going. Halfway through the battery and I notice its not panning correctly, seems super stiff left to right.

Bring it back and in my hands the gimbal won't pan and is making funny noises. flipped over and it looks like the yaw arm got jammed up against the bottom of the housing. There are some scrape marks from the gimbal forcing itself back and forth. Use the grub screw to loosen the arm and pull it away from housing. Now it moves freely again. But it is a little off center to the left, 1-3%. And it is making a weird grinding noise now and then and shaking the camera. I am adding a video of what is happening to the footage. Quick search looked like it may be a motor in the gimbal is bad. Could this be from being jammed solid and still trying to turn? Did I burn up a motor before I realized it was messed up. Is this an easy fix, or a replace the entire camera fix?

Thanks in advance for any advice you can offer.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

So I crashed the phantom 3 Pro last week. Nothing broke off, looked ok. So I took back off and flew a little. Looked ok, in the middle of a shoot for a family friend so it looked mostly ok so we kept going. Halfway through the battery and I notice its not panning correctly, seems super stiff left to right.

Bring it back and in my hands the gimbal won't pan and is making funny noises. flipped over and it looks like the yaw arm got jammed up against the bottom of the housing. There are some scrape marks from the gimbal forcing itself back and forth. Use the grub screw to loosen the arm and pull it away from housing. Now it moves freely again. But it is a little off center to the left, 1-3%. And it is making a weird grinding noise now and then and shaking the camera. I am adding a video of what is happening to the footage. Quick search looked like it may be a motor in the gimbal is bad. Could this be from being jammed solid and still trying to turn? Did I burn up a motor before I realized it was messed up. Is this an easy fix, or a replace the entire camera fix?

Thanks in advance for any advice you can offer.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
Be sure that when you tighten the grub scew that the screw is tightened against the flat side of the shaft. The symptoms you describe will happen it the grub screw is not tight against the flat on the shaft.

hmmm. How would you "rotate" the shaft to get it in the right spot? I was never able to figure that out. I tried to change it a little to adjust for the 3 degree tilt to the left. But I couldn't figure out how to rotate the shaft to put it in the right spot.

hmmm. How would you "rotate" the shaft to get it in the right spot? I was never able to figure that out. I tried to change it a little to adjust for the 3 degree tilt to the left. But I couldn't figure out how to rotate the shaft to put it in the right spot.
you would rotate the gimbal arm to get it on the flat of the shaft. And then you will probably have to do a recalibration. Considering a crash, you should probably do an IMU calibration and a gimbal calibration following the IMU calibration.

ok, I did the calibrations, and it felt like the shaft was in the right spot. But maybe not, will check that again tonight in greater detail.

Do you think there could be a motor problem in the gimbal as well? I understand how the shaft being crooked could get the camera out of alignment, but I'm not sure how that would make the gimbal do its cool little "shudder" trick.

ok, I did the calibrations, and it felt like the shaft was in the right spot. But maybe not, will check that again tonight in greater detail.

Do you think there could be a motor problem in the gimbal as well? I understand how the shaft being crooked could get the camera out of alignment, but I'm not sure how that would make the gimbal do its cool little "shudder" trick.
If this doesn't fix it-- then you will have to look a little further and it could very well be the motor driving the shaft.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31