weird flying today

Reaction score
Phantom 3 pro, showed firmware update required for a quick second then went to GPS mode.

Took it up to take some pictures and it gave an error about image transfer when taking a picture from higher up, then a few seconds later it said ATTI mode (about 175 ft) then back to GPS. When I was about 400 ft from it (about 100 ft high) it gave an compass calibration error and it hesitated like it was unsure if it wanted to return home or go explore the world on its own. I landed it manually and locked it back in it's deep dark cave in a back room... I have not done the compass calibration for about a week as I always fly in the same location.

What would cause such a flaky flight? Nothing changed from the last time I flew about 3 days ago (too windy to fly until today)

Thanks

it gave an compass calibration error...
A compass error isn't a compass malfunction.
It's a working compass telling you that it's detected a magnetic influence that's different from the earth's normal magnetic field.
I have not done the compass calibration for about a week as I always fly in the same location.
It doesn't matter where you fly, you don't need to recalibrate the compass.
If the Phantom flies straight and hovers without spiralling, leave it alone.
What would cause such a flaky flight? Nothing changed from the last time I flew about 3 days ago (too windy to fly until today)
As usual, the answer may be hidden in the flight data.
You can see that bygoing to DJI Flight Log Viewer
Follow the instructions to upload your flight record.
That will give you a detailed report
If you need help with that you can come back and post a link to the report it provides.

@JasonD
Welcome to the forum!

Some more reading on Compass Calibration.
Compass Calibration, A Complete Primer

"it gave an compass calibration error and it hesitated like it was unsure if it wanted to return home"
Was RTH activated or you were trying to fly it back to you?

As stated, the log file from your mobile device takes a lot out of the guessing, The file will be a .txt if your using DJI-GO.

What type of mobile device were you using?

Rod

Thanks,
Homepoint was recorded but it never activated the RTH (maybe it started during the image loss) and had it out once since - seemed to be ok.. After this week I will have more time to fly (working 120+ hrs each week the last 6 months sucks).

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrl