Weird day...

Reaction score
So, some weird shtuff happened to me last week, when I took my dog, Zoe to the field for our daily walk and to fly my P3P. A guy was already there just sitting at the field and in a folding chair, enjoying a cigar and just soaking up the warm day. It was the 1st nice day in a while. We exchanged pleasantries and I went about my business of playing with the dog and flying the drone to stay sharp and keep Zoe entertained by letting her chase it around the field.

About an hour after we got there, I was packing the things up and noticed the guy I had spoken to was sitting in the back of his van on the bumper, doors open. I heard a weird gasp, and upon investigating, I found the man unresponsive. I called paramedics and tried to revive him, but I found him too late. He was mid 50s.

The paramedics showed up and worked on him for maybe 15 minutes before driving off.
The messed up part is I was maybe only ever 30-80 feet away from the guy at any given time and although I never really directly recorded him, I caught the poor guy's death on the drone in chunks.

He had a coronary and died sitting on the back bumper of his van, leaning against the door.

I was making laps in the field and my dog does a pretty good job of keeping up with the thing.
But each lap, I'd have a 5-7 second glimpse of the guy. Not while I was flying, as I was always up about 20-30' and the ipad mini at that height you're not going to see anything clearly. But, after everything happened, I looked over the footage @ home and was pretty saddened to see that he probably actually succumbed about 15 minutes before I actually realized there was a problem.

You never know what you're going to catch on camera.

MJB

Reactions: DrJoe
You are a very nice guy and feeling the pain as all this happened when you were there close to him. Such things do happen and we don't have control over them. It was so nice to learn that you called paramedics immediately to help the going guy. I feel the pain too.

Reactions: Oso and MJB1971
Sorry for your day. That kind of thing is never easy. I agree, you never know what your camera can capture, but that footage might not be a "keeper".

My condolences, that is a rotten experience. You did what you could with the info you had when you had it and the PMs did what they could.
Don't beat yourself up with what ifs and what could have beens.

May he RIP.

Wow, that is sad. Who would think that was going to be the future of that particular day, I guess you never know... and only mid 50's is to young to go.

Every day is a gift.

So easy to get caught up in Forum squabbles and such, now you have great perspective on the frailty of life.

It has been said that we are the only species on Earth that KNOWS we will one day die.

Reactions: MJB1971
I think other species know it too, they see death and they mourn, they just live in spite of it and don't let it consume them.

The footage is definitely nothing I ever planned on releasing or sharing. I just realized it after I got home and wanted to know if I had a chance at actually helping the man, but based on the lil glimpses I saw, not very likely.

Just sad and it almost makes me wonder if the guy knew. He had his phone with him and if he were in duress, you would think he would've called 911?!

It speaks a lot to your character that you chose to not share the video. Some would have. Kudos to you!

Reactions: MJB1971

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik